Reply to this topicStart new topic
InSight Surface Operations, 26 Nov 2018-
PaulH51
post May 17 2020, 12:31 PM
Post #916

Group: Members
Member No.: 6853

Another hammer session takes the mole closer to being flush
Sol 523 IDC camera over about 7 minutes Animated GIF of 9 selected frames.
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 24 2020, 08:27 PM
Post #917

Sol 530: animation of cropped IDC frames shows the scoop being re-positioned on the end cap of the mole. Recent activities suggest the next hammer session may be on or about May 31, 2020
Attached Image

+Quote Post
PaulH51
post May 30 2020, 08:59 PM
Post #918

Hope in troubled times: Sol 536 animation of the latest push on the end cap of the mole, ends with the mole flush with the ground smile.gif
Link to the animation on Streamable

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 30 2020, 09:44 PM
Post #919

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Nice to see that! Meanwhile, here is a possible blast from the past...

Attached Image

This picture shows two CTX images of an area about 100 km east of the InSight landing site, the top one taken a couple of months after the landing. The bottom one is from a decade before the landing.

There is a dark spot in the more recent image but not the older image. It is just outside the rim of an oldish crater, and there seems to be a small dark spot within it. The size and location relative to the landing site are broadly similar to the impact of part of the Curiosity cruise stage relative to that landing site:

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/MRO/mult...a/pia16456.html

Curiosity's cruise stage broke into two large pieces and several smaller pieces, whose impacts were imaged by HiRISE. It is possible that this dark marking is the site of the impact of InSight's cruise stage or part of it. So far these are the only two images of the site that I can find.

No guarantees that this is correct! But other albedo markings in the images are pretty much identical between images. I will get a more detailed analysis out later with properly scaled and processed images.

EDIT: probably a bit too far south, but I don't see anything further north yet.
Another edit: looking at the approach groundtrack, may not be as far off as I thought. This might be it. I have requested a HiRISE image.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post

62 Pages V  « < 60 61 62
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 06:29 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.