IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

T77 Flyby (June 20, 2011 / Rev 149), Ksa RADAR
Juramike
post Jun 16 2011, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

T77 Flyby Quick Facts description now up: http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/files/20110620_...y_quicklook.pdf

And the Looking Ahead for Rev 149 from CICLOPS: http://www.ciclops.org/view/6787/Rev149

Most of the RADAR modes being used: radiometry, scatterometry, altimetry, HiSAR, and an SAR Swath near Ksa crater.

Might get a neat 3D view of the crater and ejecta pattern when combined with T17 data.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
Phil Stooke
post Jun 16 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

This looking like a great orbit... Go Cassini!

(I'm on vacation in Europe but back to the proverbial grindstone, AKA frequent UMSF posting, soon)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jun 16 2011, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 530

The plasma spectrometer is causing wonky things on a voltage bus and is shut off right now... looks like the pointing for this orbit means it's not missing much?

+Quote Post
toddbronco2
post Jun 17 2011, 01:49 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 5281

CAPS isn't the prime team for an observation until the 4th of July and then not again until near the end of July.

I'm just hoping that for this Helene flyby the error in the moon's location is smaller than last time so that we actually see it throughout the flyby.

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Jun 20 2011, 08:36 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 4081

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jun 16 2011, 06:35 AM) *
Might get a neat 3D view of the crater and ejecta pattern when combined with T17 data.

Agree!
The crater is located on VP's swath maps below (with a grid added). Perhaps it will look a little like the 3D construction below
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Jun 24 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1345

Mosaic made from raw images taken during the flyby (had to use WAC images to fill in the northeast section.)

Attached Image

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Jul 6 2011, 09:20 AM
Post #7

Nice one Mike. Here’s another taken with the NAC on June 23rd from 1.44M km. The image is centered on Belet and the area recently inundated by the T72 arrow storm. Of interest this area was within the estimated origin of the previous ‘tropical storm’ in April of 2008. Likely this area received methane precip back then as well. Makes one wonder if this area was relatively more ‘saturated’ with methane when the ‘arrow storm’ passed by in Oct. 2010 making the changes from the latter storm more prominent than any other area in its path. The images below are animated to show the T77 image, its coverage on VP’s SAR swath map, the area inundated by the arrow storm (from the Science paper of Turtle et al http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6023/1414 and finally the estimated location of the 2008 storm origin (green square in the Gemini N image from the Schaller et al paper http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v460/...ature08193.html
Attached Image

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Jul 6 2011, 07:01 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 23

Keep in mind that our image coverage in the weeks and months after last year's storm played a role in where we mapped the areas where we saw changes. We can't rule out that similar dark swaths would have been seen further west in late October had we had the surface coverage.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
Navin
post Aug 2 2011, 07:09 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1380

Titan: Putting It All Together

Wow! So familiar, yet so alien.

+Quote Post
HughFromAlice
post Aug 5 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 3989

QUOTE (Juramike @ Jun 24 2011, 12:44 PM) *
Titan Mosaic

Just a bit of fun as part of getting back into the habit of posting. Took your Titan pic and pushed to the limits of what I could do in a short time..... a rather free interpretation but it's just about worth posting!!

Attached Image

So I might as well post it. And Mike....just checked out your Flikr pages and they are great :-)

+Quote Post
titanicrivers
post Aug 9 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (Navin @ Aug 2 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Wow! So familiar, yet so alien.

WoW is right! The Ksa crater and the dune relationship to Xanadu's border are fascinating. Based on the Photojournal description I've tried to place the swath on a gridded map, the borders of which are 0 to 30 degrees North latitude and 60 to 90 degrees W longitude.
Attached Image

+Quote Post
machi
post Apr 2 2012, 08:34 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4057

T77 SARs are now available at PDS archive.
Three big craters are visible in those SARs - Ksa, Momoy and Menrva, last one is visible in this cropped image (resolution 1 km/pix, slightly improved by denoising filter from Florian Luisier, EPFL, Switzerland):
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Apr 2 2012, 10:12 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 542

Nice. smile.gif
I don't seem to be able to find the rest of the swath via the link in your post. I'm still waiting for Jason's SAR gallery to get past T65.

+Quote Post
algorimancer
post Apr 4 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 285

QUOTE (machi @ Apr 2 2012, 03:34 PM) *
Menrva, last one is visible in this cropped image

Is that actual layering I see in that crater? It seems too finely bound to simply be rough terrain associated with mass wasting.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Apr 4 2012, 09:57 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 23

Going to try to get the T71 and T77 swaths up in the next couple of hours. In the mean time, here is a stereo image of Ksa.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:59 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.