16 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
China to the Moon - Chang'e 1 and 2, Chinese unmanned lunar orbiters
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Jan 10 2009, 11:58 AM
Post #106

Guests

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-01/...nt_10625458.htm

According to this publication Chang'e will impact the Moon in proper time, but not detail is given, as usual mad.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Geert
post Mar 1 2009, 12:32 PM
Post #107

Group: Members
Member No.: 4185

Chang'e has impacted the moon after de-orbit burn

see http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-03...ent_7523687.htm

Regards,

Geert

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 1 2009, 03:12 PM
Post #108

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Another point on the map! This is in Mare Fecunditatis, about 120 km west of the Luna 16 landing site.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 1 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #109

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Anybody know why Chang'e was deliberately deorbited @ EOM? I'm just wondering why they'd bother; it wasn't targeted towards a suspected volatile-rich area or anything like that.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 2 2009, 03:13 AM
Post #110

Lunar spacecraft may be removed from orbit so they won't interfere with other missions - a second Chinese orbiter will follow this one and they may need to avoid communications issues - and also, they may be brought down in a controlled manner, if it's possible, to avoid damaging historic sites.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nprev
post Mar 2 2009, 04:25 AM
Post #111

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Thanks, Phil. I sort of thought that was why, but lunar orbit is hardly crowded these days. Concur with the historical site aviodance rationale, of course.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Mar 2 2009, 05:13 AM
Post #112

Member No.: 15

Although, I have to wonder -- what are the odds against an unguided impact by Chang'e (or anything else, for that matter) hitting an area of historical importance?

How many of these locations are there? Six Apollo sites, five Surveyor sites, two Lunakhod sites, three Luna sample return sites and two simple Luna lander sites -- a total of 18 sites, over the entire surface area of the Moon. (This assumes you're not going to count impact sites -- many of them unidentified -- of other hardware, from Luna 2 through Chandrayaan's MIP. I find it hard to imagine a tourist viewing platform to observe what appears to be just another crater out of quadrillions, just because it was made by a man-made vehicle. Though I might make an exception for Luna 2.)

I understand that a vehicle in polar orbit does eventually overfly most all of the Moon. But that also means it has the entire surface area of the whole body on which to impact, raising the odds significantly against an unguided impact coming within a hundred km of *any* given spot.

The idea of historic site preservation is a good one, but I just have to wonder what the odds of an inadvertent impact really are... huh.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Mar 2 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #113

Member No.: 132

QUOTE (dvandorn @ Mar 2 2009, 12:13 AM) *
Although, I have to wonder -- what are the odds...

We recently experienced an "improbable" mid orbit collision here at Earth. And the volume of possible lunar orbits is a lot smaller.

Someone at the BAUT forum indicated that Chinese media reported the de-orbit was used as training for future landing missions.
(Link to post below)

http://www.bautforum.com/space-exploration...tml#post1446047

EDIT: link to the Chinese news report from The Planetary Society Blog:
"The planned impact was designed to accumulate experience for landing of China's second lunar probe."
<a href="http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-03...ent_7523687.htm" target="_blank">http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2009-03...ent_7523687.htm
</a>

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Mar 2 2009, 08:34 AM
Post #114

Guests

Some people report that the landing was recored by the CCD camera. Do you have any idea whether any pictures will be published, or as usual, nothing will appear?

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Mar 2 2009, 11:25 AM
Post #115

Guests

I'm asking and I'm answering myself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw15rDMeYko

Take a look of the 29 and 30s second of the clip. Are these images of the impact?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 2 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #116

They may have been taken during the descent, or may be oblique views from another orbit.

Replying to dvandorn's point above - of course the chance of an unintended strike on a historic site is minimal. Communication interference, or learning to track a descent trajectory, are more likely. But there is an agreement to deorbit in a controlled way if possible rather than leaving things to chance.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 2 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #117

Here's an updated map of the lunar near side with the recent impacts on it. I included Chandrayaan 1 but I don't know its true location - Goswami says 88 south, but does not specify a longitude. It came in along roughly the 15 east meridian, but it might have made it to the far side if it overflew the pole.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Geert
post Mar 2 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 4185

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Mar 2 2009, 06:52 PM) *
Communication interference, or learning to track a descent trajectory, are more likely.

Remembering all the problems that mascons gave on earlier lunar landings, tracking a descent trajectory might indeed be worthwhile.

Which immediately leads to another question: given that mascons are very local interferences, it stands to reason that you would like to track the same trajectory that you're lander is supposed to follow, otherwise tracking a descent wouldn't teach you much. So possibly the Chinese lander will land somewhere in the same region as this crash??

And one more item, this position is not far from the Luna 16 position, and those sample-return landingpoints were chosen as only from this longitude you can fly a direct ascent trajectory back to earth without having to do midcourse burns. I don't suppose the Chinese will try a sample-return on their very first landing, but IF they are intending to land somewhere in this vicinity it is at least remarkable that they select a location which allows a direct ascent trajectory..

Regards,

Geert.

+Quote Post
Guest_Zvezdichko_*
post Mar 2 2009, 03:50 PM
Post #119

Guests

Photo Credit : CCTV/CNSA

Photo Credit : CCTV/CNSA

These are the candidate images that were probably taken during impact.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Mar 2 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #120

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

It's not going to be DURING impact. Just before it, perhaps, but not during.

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:06 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.