IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Previous Radar Studies Of Possible Liquid Water, evidence for subsurface water in 1960s?
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Dec 6 2005, 08:26 PM
Post #1

Guests

I just came across this in another forum, I hadn't seen this article yet, from Infinite Energy magazine, November / December 2005 issue, pages 26 to 30. A re-examination of Earth-based radar studies of Mars from 1963 and 1965, showing possible subsurface deposits of liquid water in some equatorial regions.

Web version here (fairly long and technical):

http://jcjames.home.att.net
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
deglr6328
post Dec 6 2005, 11:40 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 190

uhhhhm Infinite Energy magazine? That's about as respected as the 3n73rpr15e m1551on's website.....

Also the paper is written by "Jesse C. James"??!

He has no Scitation refrences.

+Quote Post
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Dec 7 2005, 12:30 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE (deglr6328 @ Dec 6 2005, 03:40 PM)
uhhhhm Infinite Energy magazine? That's about as respected as the 3n73rpr15e m1551on's website.....

Also the paper is written by "Jesse C. James"??!

He has no Scitation refrences.

I knew the source would raise a few eyebrows, but let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater
(and personally, I'm openminded about cold fusion, etc.)... let's just focus on the analysis itself and it's merits, if any. The subject at hand has nothing to do with that.

Note also Jon Clarke's comments on this (who is a respected geologist):

http://uplink.space.com/showthreaded.php?C...d&sb=5&o=0&vc=1

He cites three other similar good references, including one mentioned in the article and another paper by Carl Sagan and others, so I think this is worth at least following up on.

There is a long list of references at the end... I wondered about the name too, but...?

+Quote Post
Guest_paulanderson_*
post Jan 3 2006, 08:29 AM
Post #4

Guests

I saw a copy of the magazine on the newsstand yesterday, but I'll wait until I get paid again next week to get it.

It includes the biographical background of Jesse C. James (not on the web site page linked to before), which is seemingly impressive, if the bio is accurate, including doing serious radar-related work for MIT, NASA and others, and he is an older fellow in the photograph published (not some younger know-it-all type as such), so I don't think this should be written off yet by any means. And yes, that is apparently his real name (yeah, I know...).

I'd still like to see someone with the appropriate background (here?) do a review of the actual data published (which I linked to before), and base any criticisms on that, not the magazine.

When I can pick up the magazine, I could then scan or re-write the bio and post it here, or if someone else can also obtain the magazine, better yet.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st May 2024 - 12:07 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.