Juno perijove 9, October 24, 2017, near solar conjunction
Gerald
post Nov 22 2017, 10:14 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6780

In the meanwhile, John Rogers released two reports about Perijove-09:

Juno at Perijove-9 (Part I): Global maps, and
Juno at Perijove-9 (Part II): What the close-up images show.

Despite the difficult observational conditions, we were able to create a global cylindrical map.
Of particular interest is a newly formed south tropical disturbance near the GRS.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 23 2017, 09:22 AM
Post #32

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

QUOTE (Tom Tamlyn @ Nov 17 2017, 12:57 PM) *
The Atlantic posted an article today by Marina Karen titled The Photoshoppers Behind Dreamy Jupiter Photos, which quotes members Gerald Eichstädt, Seán Doran, Björn Jónsson, Roman Tkachenko, Emily Lakdawalla, and Jason Major (listed in the order mentioned).

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive...ictures/546146/

A bit belated, but congratulations to you all for this article and recognition! The Atlantic is a widely-distributed US magazine. The article also name-checks our 'no-frills' Forum. smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 25 2017, 05:14 PM
Post #33

Well, UMSF has been playing an important, if not essential role in bringing people together. smile.gif

---

Here a link to a Perijove-09 flyby animation.
The link is submitted to missionjuo, too.
I've implemented a "nadir mode" for cylindrical views. This helps to make the movie's horizontal center continuously pointing to Jupiter's center. Vertical displacement is allowed in order to fit with JunoCam's fov. For the youtube version of the movie, I've chosen half second blendings, since the alignment of the scenes isn't quite perfect, and would hence result in doubled features over too long periods of time.

I'll try to upload stills, and mp4 files onto the junocam.pictures webspace later tonight (CET).

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 25 2017, 05:50 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 7837

Another excellent effort Gerald! I think this sequence really sells how close Juno gets to Jupiter. I hope the tweening software can handle the closer frames without too much trouble.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_avisolo_*
post Nov 25 2017, 09:31 PM
Post #35

Guests

This is so cool Gerald! Here is my humble attempt at a more poetic rendering of your animation:
https://vimeo.com/244473772

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 26 2017, 09:20 AM
Post #36

Thanks! I like that sound track of Vangelis, Avisolo.

The stills are online since a few hours; the online version is compressed to 1.7 GB of JPG files, I've used 98% quality in order to save upload time and storage volume, and to maintain good quality.
I've rendered two movie versions, one with short blending for Youtube upload, and another one with long blending resulting in an overall more continuous impression, but with considerable feature doubling.
The individual scenes before blending are provided as MP4, as well.
The MP4 scenes have been rendered from BMP files, the same files the JPG stills are derived from. Each of the BMP files has been rendered directly from the respective raw files in one monolithic step using double precision floating point arithmetics.

+Quote Post
Guest_avisolo_*
post Nov 26 2017, 06:28 PM
Post #37

Guests

Thanks Gerald!

I've replaced the original video with the files you uploaded, makes for better viewing:
https://vimeo.com/244473772

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 26 2017, 08:35 PM
Post #38

Beautiful! I've recommended it via email to several members of the JunoCam team.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 26 2017, 11:03 PM
Post #39

It appears that these animation renders are reversed/mirrored. Can you confirm this Gerald? At least when compared with the initial processed stills.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 27 2017, 01:33 AM
Post #40

You are right, the cyclones are winded in the wrong sense. I should have noticed that. I'll try to mirror the movie. The stills will remain as they are.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 27 2017, 01:37 AM
Post #41

It's easy enough to correct, I just wanted to make sure you knew.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Nov 27 2017, 03:58 AM
Post #42

These things can happen, especially when I'm working around the clock. Thanks for your checking!

The flip-corrected version is on Youtube, now.
The previous version on the missionjuno site hasn't been approved yet. So, I've removed it and added the revised version, instead.

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 27 2017, 12:08 PM
Post #43

Here is an early pass on Gerald's video [flipped, rotated, variably retimed & processed] set to 'Orphic Hymn' by Jóhann Jóhannsson

60fps version on Youtube

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Nov 29 2017, 12:54 PM
Post #44

Tinkering with re-scaled stills from Gerald's flyby...

*update*

...and another...

( uploaded corrected, flipped version )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sean
post Dec 4 2017, 08:32 PM
Post #45

This is a processed, masked blend of projected images [ 90 & 91 ] from Geralds' flyby...

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:49 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.