IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Solid/liquid Surfaces for Uranus/Neptune, etceteras
algorimancer
post Oct 25 2006, 02:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 285

Here's a question for the professionals out there. I'm relatively well-educated with regard to planetary science and basic physics (from an advanced amateur's perspective, anyway), and I've always been bothered by the oft-repeated statement that the gas giant planets lack any definite solid (or liquid) surface. It seems to me that there should at the very least be a zone of phase change, where the gaseous atmosphere changes phase to either solid or liquid (rain/snow equivalent?), and while this may occur at a depth and pressure such that the gas phase has a really high viscosity, I would find it difficult not to interpret this interface as a surface which could be a target by a really robust lander. Am I missing something with regard to the physics here? For example I could envision the phase transition being glass-like, so that the viscosity just smoothly transitions between one phase and the other, without a discontinuity, yet at least in the case of H20, I know that this isn't the case. So what is really going on here? It almost seems like this region is so far beyond the realm of familiar physics that the typical scientist gives up in despair and provides a simplistic non-answer. Clearly Uranus or Neptune would have the most easily accessible surfaces - and according to planetary models similar to those shown on this page:

http://www.astro.washington.edu/larson/Ast...saturanept.html

it looks like those surfaces will be water overlain by H2 gas. Looks like one heck of a planetery ocean, assuming that the water isn't hot ice at these pressures.

Thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- algorimancer   Solid/liquid Surfaces for Uranus/Neptune, etceteras   Oct 25 2006, 02:22 AM
- - dvandorn   I think there is a much better chance of there bei...   Oct 25 2006, 05:15 AM
|- - Rob Pinnegar   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 24 2006, 11:15 PM) ...   Oct 25 2006, 02:59 PM
- - nprev   Many fascinating possibilities here. Do you thin...   Oct 25 2006, 05:35 AM
|- - dvandorn   QUOTE (nprev @ Oct 25 2006, 12:35 AM) Do ...   Oct 25 2006, 10:58 PM
|- - algorimancer   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Oct 25 2006, 05:58 PM) ...   Oct 26 2006, 01:07 PM
|- - ustrax   I wasn't sure where to post this... "An i...   Sep 21 2007, 04:12 PM
- - deglr6328   Here, watch this video of ethane in a pressure ve...   Oct 25 2006, 08:34 AM
- - remcook   At DPS Sushil Atreya had an interesting talk about...   Oct 25 2006, 08:56 AM
- - Myran   So far I have been able to understand these things...   Oct 25 2006, 03:16 PM
- - algorimancer   Wow, that stirred up lot's of responses. The ...   Oct 25 2006, 05:50 PM
- - ngunn   This is something I have wondered about too, and I...   Oct 25 2006, 07:40 PM
- - jrdahlman   (Never noticed this thread before. I thought it wa...   Sep 22 2007, 05:44 AM
|- - JRehling   [...]   Sep 22 2007, 06:06 AM
- - JRehling   [...]   Sep 19 2008, 10:35 PM
- - qraal   Hi J.Rehling Uranus's base is probably molecu...   Sep 21 2008, 03:51 AM
- - JRehling   [...]   Sep 23 2008, 09:37 PM
- - qraal   Hi I did notice all the replies after I posted. S...   Sep 27 2008, 02:28 AM
- - infocat13   quote removed - Admin I remember this idea a ...   Oct 1 2008, 05:24 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:20 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.