Reply to this topicStart new topic
UMSF @ 4 years old and 100,000 posts, Milestones and futures
djellison
post May 5 2008, 10:00 PM
Post #46

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Sorry for the delay in an update. The new server is now running a copy of UMSF. As a rough estimate for how well it performs - a page process time on this server is about 0.25s. Typically that figure is 0.05s on the new server. 5x faster. Obviously, it's connectivity that will dictate actual user experience - but it's nice to know that the server itself is very happily processing things, and much faster than we have now. It's undergoing testing by the admin team as I speak.

The actual switch over will be a 24-36 hour period at a maximum - hopefully next weekend. (weekends are quietest at UMSF...you clearly spend all day here instead of doing your jobs. I know I do)

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 6 2008, 01:27 AM
Post #47

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Sometimes I can't believe that you have time for a job, Doug... wink.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
brellis
post May 6 2008, 05:39 AM
Post #48

Group: Members
Member No.: 1700

QUOTE (djellison @ May 5 2008, 03:00 PM) *
The actual switch over will be a 24-36 hour period at a maximum - hopefully next weekend. (weekends are quietest at UMSF...you clearly spend all day here instead of doing your jobs. I know I do)

Doug

haha! Guilty as charged. When I get stressed out working on a movie soundtrack, I like to relax by poking around the threads here. I don't even have to leave my chair!

Of course, I have to work weekends when I'm on a deadline, so I'm here at all hours, hehe. If I'm absent, it's because I'm not working and gone fishin'.

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 6 2008, 11:01 PM
Post #49

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

OT...but sounds like a great job, Brellis. Setting your own hours, no clock to punch, I assume no commuting required...aaahh!!!

(Sorry; just got off the LA freeways after a truly crappy day courtesy of my Dilbertesque boss...)

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 8 2008, 03:39 PM
Post #50

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Cpanel ftp backups now working ( and take approx 2-3 hours ) - so we are go for the switch this w'end

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Dec 27 2008, 10:58 PM
Post #51

Guests

QUOTE (Stu @ Feb 28 2008, 05:31 PM) *
Two years? Hmmm... that's just about long enough to ensure UMSF is still going by the time Oppy reaches the edge of Valles Marineris...

Well, it's about as likely as her reaching Ithaca! wink.gif

Seriously tho, that's excellent news. Thanks to everyone working away behind the scenes on this.

I'll hold you to what you said about Ithaca, Stu! wink.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.