IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
An interview with Andy Chaikin, A Passion for Mars - Intrepid Explorers of the Red Planet
djellison
post Oct 18 2008, 06:28 PM
Post #1

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Some months ago, Andy got in touch to tell me that he had just finished a new book about Mars, and that the UMSF membership might enjoy it. We managed to meet up at his home in Vermont during my US vacation this summer, and get a half-hour interview onto tape. Now the book is released - I've uploaded the interview for all to enjoy!

http://dougellison.com/dougstuff/chaikin.mp3 - 25mb, 27 minutes.

In preparation for the interview, Andy sent me a pre-print of the book, and I can honestly say it's a superb piece of work. It does for the Mars program exactly what 'A Man on the Moon' did for Apollo. String the story together, be a riveting read, and yet remain a reference tool. It should be on the bookshelf of any UMSFer inbetween Roving Mars and Sojourner.

Amazon US link - http://www.amazon.com/Passion-Mars-Intrepi...t/dp/0810972743
Amazon UK link - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Passion-Mars-Intre...t/dp/0810972743

Enjoy!

Doug
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Oct 18 2008, 09:48 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 12

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 18 2008, 07:28 PM) *
It does for the Mars program exactly what 'A Man on the Moon' did for Apollo.

When I heard that Chaikin had written a book about Mars this was exactly what I hoped he had written. There's no way I'm going to miss buying this!

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Dec 19 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #3

Guests

Got the book, highly recommended, very personal, really captures the fact that real people are behind all our exploration of Mars. And that we NEED successes for the program goes on...

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Dec 19 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (djellison @ Oct 18 2008, 02:28 PM) *

Doug, as I click through to add this to my wishlist if I already haven't, I wonder whether you have an affiliate link. Not worth the bother for spare change?

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 19 2008, 12:35 AM
Post #5

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Affiliate links, much like the cafe press store - not worth the hassle. The phrase I like to use is 4/5ths of 7/8ths of F-all.

Direct donations are the UHF downlink to the other revenue streams X-Band DTE for MER.

And I'm now going to hang my head in shame at the worst space-geek analogy of all time.

Doug

+Quote Post
OKB001
post Dec 19 2008, 04:29 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4509

Thanks for the audio interview Doug, very interesting.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 21 2008, 01:27 PM
Post #7

Guests

Great interview indeed, there's also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzdeOElMBk

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 02:52 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.