Reply to this topicStart new topic
Venus Express and MESSENGER simultaneous observations
elakdawalla
post Jul 13 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I thought this deserved its own topic...ESA just posted some images and a story on observations taken during the MESSENGER flyby. I assume we'll see a NASA / APL post later on the same topic.

Venusian rendezvous results: chapter one

Some interesting images here; I was quite surprised by the excellent match between the VIRTIS thermal image and the Magellan radar image. Looks like they're zeroing in on how to process those surface images!

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 13 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #2

Rover Driver

Group: Members
Member No.: 47

The surface stuff is pretty cool. There's one from Artemis Corona too, which I hope they will show soon.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jul 13 2007, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

I just consulted my solar system atlas...one of the cartographers please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the topography we're looking at in that image is in eastern Aphrodite, including parts of Diana and Dali Chasmae?

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 13 2007, 05:44 PM
Post #4

Rover Driver

I thought you were an expert in venus geology wink.gif
yup, it seems to be around atahensik corona

http://planetarynames.wr.usgs.gov/images/v37_comp.pdf

edit - oh by the way, I think these surface images are hardly processed at all! These regions are just regions with high altitude (thus radiance) contrast. It's pretty amazing really that you can see these things in the raw images.

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Jul 13 2007, 07:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 438

Wouldn't they get a better match with the VIRTIS data if the scaling of the Magellan altimetry data was inverted here? Looks like the bright areas in one are dark in the other, and vice-versa, or am I wrong?

Low-res shaded relief of the same Magellan altimetry (rather than SAR) data here:
http://www.solarviews.com/raw/venus/topoven2.jpg

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 18 2007, 10:00 AM
Post #6

Rover Driver

Did the release got pulled/postponed? sad.gif

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Jul 18 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 112

Strange ...
It comes up for a sec with Firefox (without any clickable links on it), and then I get redirected to the main VE page.

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Jul 18 2007, 11:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 438

Yes, very odd. The page of images and captions accompanying the article is still online though, here.

+Quote Post
cndwrld
post Jul 18 2007, 03:39 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 1743

The Messenger Fly-By page got yanked from the ESA web site. The ESA people were ready to go, thought they had NASA/APL agreement, and posted it. But NASA/APL weren't ready yet, so it had to be pulled down again. Should be back up as soon as both sides of the Atlantic get their ducks in a row. I guess one location didn't get pulled down yet, though.

--------------------
--
cndwrld@yahoo.com

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 06:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.