Reply to this topicStart new topic
Instrument commissioning phase, Beginning final approach to the comet
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2014, 02:13 PM
Post #211

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

It's premature to decide that. We will have to see how the Rosetta team decide to do it. But the ends are not poles if the shape model rotation movie is showing us the correct rotation. In fact one pole appears to be in the deepest part of the neck.

This is a composite of the approach images.

Attached Image

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 5 2014, 02:28 PM
Post #212

Member No.: 557

QUOTE (jasedm @ Aug 4 2014, 04:35 PM) *
... I nominate the smaller component as 'Klim' (less letters in the name) and the larger as 'Svetlana'. wink.gif

It would help if we could find a full body portrait of the discoverers standing side by side. So far, all I can find on the web is for Svetlana Ivanova in this interview.

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 5 2014, 08:13 AM) *
In fact one pole appears to be in the deepest part of the neck.

Yes, and where the terrain appear smoother than most of the comet. Slow movement, fairly smooth surface, dramatic views... this would be my bet for a landing area. Unless the soil is too loose to harpoon. Or there is too much outgassing activity in the area to be safe.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2014, 03:33 PM
Post #213

But that deep 'canyon' has a limited view of the sun - for power - and of Rosetta - for communications - so it's a bad location for a lander.

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Aug 5 2014, 03:51 PM
Post #214

Member No.: 557

Are you sure about that? I'm not saying you're wrong (and maybe you've been talking to the right people). Just that if the spin axis is tilted toward the the sun (more or less) during the landing in November, you could pick an area that is in almost constant sunlight at one of the poles. Even if the crevasse was deep enough to cause some shadowing over part of the rotation, it might not be any worse than landing on any other part of the comet that is moving in and out of sunlight. And if the main spacecraft could station keep above the pole, I would think it would have an advantage in nearly constant communication.

It would help a lot to know just where the spin axis is pointing, but I don't know if the coordinates have been released.

Note: Yes, there were ground based estimates in 2012 that put the axis at RA = 40° ± 10°, Dec = 70° ± 10°, with a solar tilt of 40 degrees. But I'm saying I haven't heard whether the results from Rosetta's direct observations have been released.

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 5 2014, 05:23 PM
Post #215

Member No.: 4057

FOVs for all Rosetta's long range instruments (except OSIRIS WAC) from distance 100 km.
OSIRIS WAC has ~5× bigger FOV (side length) than OSIRIS NAC, so it's too big for this picture.
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #216

Not sure, just an educated guess. We'll see what the team have to say about it later.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 5 2014, 06:46 PM
Post #217

Member No.: 655

QUOTE (machi @ Aug 5 2014, 06:23 PM) *
FOVs for all Rosetta's long range instruments (except OSIRIS WAC) from distance 100 km.
OSIRIS WAC has ~5× bigger FOV (side length) than OSIRIS NAC, so it's too big for this picture.

Brilliant Machi, and very useful - thanks!

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 5 2014, 11:24 PM
Post #218

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

And for those of us familiar with Cassini or MER/MSL sized sensors - good news...OSIRIS cameras are 2k x 2k (i.e. 4 megapixels)

Doug

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Aug 6 2014, 12:16 AM
Post #219

Member No.: 1241

Here is the Aug 4th 2014 NAVCAM
upsampled, deconvolved, and reoriented for sunlight from above...

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 6 2014, 12:55 AM
Post #220

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Okay, THIS shot reminds me of two lumps of uncooked fudge batter side by side.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
PDP8E
post Aug 6 2014, 02:53 AM
Post #221

Member No.: 1241

This is from the Aug 4th Navcam
This looks like a feature that is raised and could spew comet 'stuff'

Attached Image

--------------------
CLA CLL

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Aug 6 2014, 03:20 AM
Post #222

Member No.: 4270

Any idea what these raised plateaus are? Water-poor regions that evaporated at slower rates while their water-rich surroundings evaporated faster?

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 6 2014, 03:36 AM
Post #223

Administrator

Member No.: 454

I think there have been a lot of ad-hoc explanations for different features on comets that are hard to validate. By orbiting a comet Rosetta will give us the first chance to take a look at these things from many sides, over time, to help us make some sense of these features. Getting more excited about this mission every day.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Aug 6 2014, 05:15 AM
Post #224

Member No.: 6842

QUOTE (machi @ Aug 4 2014, 04:00 AM) *
Results of my stereo experiments. 3D images are based on best published OSIRIS and NavCam images.
One image in stereo pair is original OSIRIS image, second image is combined NavCam/OSIRIS synthetic image.
Credit for original images: ESA / Rosetta / NavCam / MPS for OSIRIS Team MPS / UPD / LAM / IAA / SSO / INTA / UPM / DASP / IDA.

Fantastic work! If you don't mind, here's a version of your anaglyph with stereo separation centered approximately on the comet's "neck". The larger half of the comet should now appear raised above the computer screen.

Attached Image

(The reason for this adjustment is that I like it when the red and cyan components of an anaglyph aren't removed too far from each other, effectively being easier to "combine" in your brain)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 6 2014, 09:18 AM
Post #225

Member No.: 615

Ongoing live coverage of Rosetta's arrival at Comet 67P C-G.

Streaming:http://rosetta.esa.int/

and on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ESA_Rosetta

Not long now smile.gif

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:35 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.