29 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Dawn Survey Orbit Phase, First orbital phase
tasp
post Aug 1 2011, 06:46 PM
Post #166

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

My first thought about the cracks was we are seeing crustal sloughing into the crater hole. (it's big, for sure, but technically, the missing segment of Vesta is a hole) The tensile strength of the materials surrounding the crater would need to be checked for consistency this idea. Also, the segments between the cracks would be subject to compressive effects as the assemblage creeped (oozed? shifted?) downslope. Not sure I see anything that might be like that at this resolution in the images.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john_s
post Aug 1 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #167

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (siravan @ Aug 1 2011, 12:03 PM) *
In the Enceladus case, change of the axis of rotation can be explained based on polhode phenomenon. But that needs an energy dissipation mechanism, which for Enceladus is based on the tidal lock (as also the possible 'ocean'). But for a free solid body like Vesta, what is the dissipation mechanism?

Large Vesta-sized bodies will settle fairly quickly into stable rotation about the minimum moment of inertia after their rotation is perturbed, due to internal frictional dissipation - tumbling will produce internal stresses that will cause motion along fractures, etc., that will dissipate energy and damp out the tumbling (Burns and Safronov 1973).

John

+Quote Post
t_oner
post Aug 1 2011, 07:54 PM
Post #168

Member No.: 508

Here is a quick smoothing of the rotation clip. I had to compress a lot it due to 1 MB limit.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  vesta_smooth_rotation.avi ( 1008.84K ) Number of downloads: 898

+Quote Post
machi
post Aug 1 2011, 08:30 PM
Post #169

Member No.: 4057

Excellent!
Beautiful rotation wheel.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 1 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #170

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

The color image is up on the photojournal now.

Phil

http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/catalog/PIA14325

PS before getting too carried away with explanations of grooves, let's consider the other grooved bodies - will the explanation work more generally?

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Aug 1 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #171

Member No.: 655

Composed of completely different stuff I know, but it looks remarkably Miranda-esque to me

+Quote Post
antipode
post Aug 1 2011, 09:18 PM
Post #172

Member No.: 1206

The crater count looks low over the impact area - I guess that makes sense, what is it - a billion years old?
Seems to be several sites of mass wasting/downslope movement. And those dark areas are fascinating!

Very very rugged, very very cool. Might be a good place for a lightweight instrumented penetrator (if we ever visit again!)!
Although Ceres is the main course, this is a fantastic entree...

P

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Aug 1 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #173

Member No.: 523

QUOTE (Tayfun Íner @ Aug 1 2011, 09:54 PM) *
Here is a quick smoothing of the rotation clip.

Very nice!

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 1 2011, 11:23 PM
Post #174

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Fantastic, Tayfun!!!

Man...there's a LOT of interesting features on this little world!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 1 2011, 11:30 PM
Post #175

Administrator

Member No.: 454

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 1 2011, 09:58 AM) *
There will still be PDS releases, right?

It may be a long wait. I asked about this after the press briefing, and Marc thought that the PDS timeline was 6 months....AFTER they leave Vesta. sad.gif

In the meantime, I have now decomposed the high-resolution version of the animation into its component frames. Here you go, guys; have fun.
http://planetary.s3.amazonaws.com/misc/Vesta_rotating.zip
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
My blog - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 1 2011, 11:39 PM
Post #176

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Lol, I got to about frame28 before I noticed your message. Oh well. I will work up a few anaglyphs if and when I find my red-blue glasses. I know it is here somewhere.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 2 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #177

Member No.: 602

Mrs. nprev's comment on the movie:

"Huh. Looks like biscuit. Even has lines around the middle like biscuit!"

laugh.gif, but insightful. The grooves sure look like compressional features to me from the south polar impact.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
MarkG
post Aug 2 2011, 01:04 AM
Post #178

Member No.: 4473

What can make a series of long, straight grooves along the equator of an isolated self-gravitating body?
Debris collapse into extension cracks is one possibility. But what would cause straight cracks at the thickest part of the body?
In the South Pole impact, as the debris was blasting away, the center of mass of Vesta became shifted towards its North Pole, and the area around the crater rim became very high ground. The result static force on the equatorial region would have been compressive.
However, the dynamic situation would have been different. In solids, compression waves travel faster than shear waves, and the bulk (2/3) of the momentum transfer (apart from vaporization heating) from the impact would be transferred by the shear waves, especially an angular momentum change.
With Vesta getting its bell rung so hard, the equator could have been the mega null/shear zone between torsional resonance modes. With debris falling on/in/around the cracks and partially filling them, we could end up with the current distribution.
With limited information coming from Dawn, they'll just have to put up with theories from the bleachers (cheap seats for the Brits).

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 2 2011, 01:45 AM
Post #179

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Despite the Dawn team wanting this to be a very primitive body dating back to the Dawn of the solar system, there's no particular reason why it could not have been larger at a very early date and to have lost a lot of mass though large impacts to become what we see today. I only suggest this to say that the grooves may be explained by events whose records are no longer visible to us. It's like Phobos - everybody wanted the grooves to be the result of Stickney despite the fact they have no geometric relationship to it at all. At least we can lay the old story of Mars ejecta to rest at last!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

+Quote Post
Gladstoner
post Aug 2 2011, 01:58 AM
Post #180

Member No.: 3995

Wow. It looks like baling wire is holding the asteroid together.... smile.gif

It never ceases to amaze me how new types of features keep showing up on these newly explored worlds.

Speaking of new features, this little image artifact

[attachment=25052:Vesta_blemish.JPG]

looks a lot like Tsiolkovskiy on the moon:

[attachment=25053:R3440097...vsky_SPL.jpg]

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th August 2020 - 09:07 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is a project of the Planetary Society and is funded by donations from visitors and members. Help keep this forum up and running by contributing here.