Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

(clunk)

That's my jaw dropping to the ground.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Leither
post Feb 27 2012, 11:08 PM
Post #362

Member No.: 1002

Nick, you are the Master!

That is simply unbelievable and well worth the wait. Every time I look at it - it takes my breath away! Just unbelievable!!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 28 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #363

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

This just made me giggle a bit smile.gif A final "wow"! Really amazing work!

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 28 2012, 08:46 AM
Post #364

Member No.: 1097

...not just yet! A lot of renders coming up... Hold your appetite! wink.gif

--------------------
Highly Detailed3D Models on my site:

http://www.nicksotiriadis.gr

+Quote Post
pospa
post Feb 28 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #365

Member No.: 5979

Fantastic, superb and stunning ! Scooterlord, you are truly 3D magician. smile.gif

PS: to make it even more real like I'd maybe rotate some wheels not to have them all in the same position .... just suggestion.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Feb 28 2012, 09:58 AM
Post #366

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Really, really beautiful!!!

Just two suggestions, if it's not too late:
1. The blue sheets on the ground seems to be reflecting too much light on the IDD.
2. You told before that the room looked too big in relation to the rover (here), but with the current proportions the rover looks bigger than MSL. My suggestion would be to make the room bigger again and put the camera closer to the rover.

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Feb 28 2012, 11:08 AM
Post #367

As for the suggestions above... The reflections are made automatically after the materials are created and I assure you that the materials are quite accurate. As for the room, it seems right, its not an actual depiction of jpl building -it would take ages to render- but it seems right smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 1 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #368

...so here we are again with a new render... I hope you people are as excited as I am smile.gif

click on the image for a full-res render (64-hour render this time). I have already started the next one smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 1 2012, 06:13 PM
Post #369

Member No.: 117

Gorgeous, and dramatic composition too. Looks like she's contemplating making a run for it...

John

+Quote Post
machi
post Mar 1 2012, 06:39 PM
Post #370

Member No.: 4057

I don't know, what I can say! ohmy.gif
Superb work!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post Mar 1 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #371

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Woah!
The effect from the opened door is just great!

+Quote Post
MoreInput
post Mar 1 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #372

Member No.: 5156

Scooterlord, these models are awesome. And also awesome is the time you invested in this: since 2006 ? 6 years, cool.

--------------------
Need more input ...

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 1 2012, 10:31 PM
Post #373

smile.gif thanks guys... I think you will all enjoy the render coming up in the next few days - that is when it's clear enough to post. It will be the first of such to be posted smile.gif I am already excited, let alone I feel so proud for the first two renders. I can't wait till I am all done and post to the 3d graphics forums... I can assure you it will get frontpage in every single forum it will posted on. Hopefully, this will also lead to some kind of business proposal... Oh, well, we'll just have to wait and see..

--------------------

+Quote Post
john_s
post Mar 1 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #374

Member No.: 117

It's interesting to compare these renderings with the original JPL renderings that we're all familiar with. Those looked very cool at the time, but now I look more closely I see that all the electrical harness details around the body, under the solar panels, are "painted on" in those images. It makes the intricate 3-D details of scooterlord's model all the more impressive in comparison.

John

+Quote Post
scooterlord
post Mar 2 2012, 12:51 AM
Post #375

Well, John,
I guess the JPL's 3d artist's (or 3d team's probably) job wasn't to ACCURATELY reproduce the model, but make a representation of the mars rover, what it does and how it works - and they totally succeeded in this. Adding more detail than that would be a waste of time for the needs of the animations. I also don't know what deadlines they had, if they worked closely with the team or even if they got ready cad plans to use in the animation - I would really love to know actually. The 'painted on' cables you mention were very successfully placed textures - they created quite a good illusion of the cables if you ask me. Let alone that technology in the 3d field progressed from then on.

What I mean is, they did that for a JOB and successfully pulled it off if you asked me. What I did, I did for MYSELF, and besides all the problems I encountered - from lack of reference, I don't think I would bother this much if it weren't a personal challenge. I am positive that I had good references and knew how things worked from the beginning - or even better if I actually were there at the rovers' design phase, not only I would have a model more accurate, but maybe I could provide help in it's design - if it agreed with the engineers that is smile.gif . Just good reference would save me more than half the time I spent.

I have to say that I realized how things on the rover worked with all this time I spent. It's cool to finally realize what that axle was doing there, what those thingies actually were. I was REALLY impressed with the devices that held mini explosives to cut the cables off - once it was mentioned, the reference I was staring for hours finally made sense. Or the protective covers on the pancams of the mast. Or the metal connectors that keep the rover closed. Or the strange film on the idd that is extended at first and then is rolled back. AWESOME STUFF. Maybe I made wrong choices in my life... or to be more exact my country didn't give me the right opportunities.

edit: I forgot to mention that the COOLEST of all things is that it became so accurate, that I designed many things without knowing their purpose, but when I actually knew what they did, they matched perfectly for their purpose, like the black holder that keep the mast down, or the connectors on the wings, or the hga that is perfectly held on its base biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 23 24 25 26 27 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 09:48 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.