109 Pages V  « < 99 100 101 102 103 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons: Pre-launch, launch and main cruise, Pluto and the Kuiper belt
machi
post Jul 26 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #1501

Group: Members
Member No.: 4057

Resolution of best HST images (FOC and ACS/HRC cameras) of Pluto is ~500 km/pix. New Horizons' monochromatic camera LORRI has similar resolution from distance ~100 millions km. It'll be three months before Pluto flyby.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 16 2012, 07:41 PM
Post #1502

Member No.: 1004

I just watched Alan Stern's presentation to the DPS congress on ustream (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aas-reno)
he showed some of the studies being carried out for the safe-haven trajectories. I wonder: is the presentation somewhere on the net? or can Alan share it with us?

+Quote Post
climber
post Oct 16 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #1503

Member No.: 682

Get an article, sorry not Alan's but well: http://spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=38923

--------------------

+Quote Post
craigmcg
post Oct 17 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #1504

Member No.: 336

Just over 1000 days to closest approach.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Oct 17 2012, 12:42 AM
Post #1505

Member No.: 173

QUOTE (Paolo @ Oct 16 2012, 07:41 PM) *
I just watched Alan Stern's presentation to the DPS congress on ustream (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/aas-reno)
he showed some of the studies being carried out for the safe-haven trajectories. I wonder: is the presentation somewhere on the net? or can Alan share it with us?

Here you go!

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 17 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #1506

Member No.: 1004

thanks, I would really like to have a better look at two graphs that were in the prez: that of the possible "cloud" distribution of debris in the Pluto system, and that showing some possible bail-out trajectories relative to Pluto and its moons

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 1 2013, 07:24 PM
Post #1507

Happy New Year 2013 from New Horizons!...Been waiting to say this for a long, long time, and now I can-- WE EXPLORE PLUTO THE YEAR AFTER NEXT! !
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 1 2013, 09:27 PM
Post #1508

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Indeed!!! smile.gif

Alan, how's the Pluto system observation campaign going with respect to trajectory selection for C/A? I assume the ground-based part can't start again for a month or two (at least) given the time of year?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 1 2013, 09:49 PM
Post #1509

We've been doing a lot of work with HST and modelling the dynamics, and also using high speed guns to test how hard our spacecraft is to impacts by various size particles. We'll be selecting SHBOT trajectories in Jan and Feb from those data...

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 6 2013, 01:58 PM
Post #1510

New Horizons has exited hibernation. Active operations begin tomorrow and will extend through January 30th.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 6 2013, 04:59 PM
Post #1511

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Awesome on all counts, Alan. Seems like my anticipation grows year after year...will switch to a monthly "oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!" schedule shortly... smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 6 2013, 09:05 PM
Post #1512

...Just 3 more hibernations left (this winter/spring, this summer/fall), next winter/spring. In May 2014 we exit hibernation to begin encounter pre-ops leading to encounter start 2 years from this week..

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Jan 8 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #1513

Member No.: 105

WE EXPLORE PLUTO THE YEAR AFTER NEXT! !

How time flies. Seems like we had the thrill of launch just the other day...

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 8 2013, 01:30 PM
Post #1514

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Yes, time flies - fast. I was always going to experiment a bit by processing some of the PDS Jupiter flyby data (FITS files) from LORRI, MVIC and maybe LEISA to be ready for the Pluto flyby. By doing that I wouldn't have to spend (possibly lots of) time figuring it out once the Pluto data is released and I would be able to immediately do something with that data. However, I have always delayed this in favour of something else because the Pluto flyby has been so far away in the future. Now I'm realizing that if I want to experiment with the Jupiter flyby before the Pluto flyby I will soon not be be able to delay that project any longer because suddenly the Pluto flyby isn't that far away. Feels a bit strange...

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Jan 10 2013, 01:25 PM
Post #1515

Upload of new command & data handling (C&DH) software for New Horizons with a key operating system bug fix begins today, finishes Saturday.

+Quote Post

109 Pages V  « < 99 100 101 102 103 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 05:39 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.