Reply to this topicStart new topic
Dawn approaches Ceres, From opnav images to first orbit
elakdawalla
post Jan 27 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #136

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Whenever an interviewer asks me what mission I want to see next, I always say I want a Uranus orbiter. I want to see those moons up close, and study that ring system. Uranus needs more advocates.

Here's Ted's best work on Umbriel.

Morpheus, we know Ceres as a substantial amount of water; could even have an ocean. Water ice is not stable over the long term over most of its surface except near the poles.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Toma B
post Jan 27 2015, 09:14 PM
Post #137

Group: Members
Member No.: 384

I made this gif animation by adding same frames in reverse order after the last frame in the original, so that Ceres rotates back and forth.
I find it much easier to spot different surface details this way.

Ceres rotating back and forth

blink.gif

--------------------
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it, and he delights in it because it is beautiful.
Jules H. Poincare

My "Astrophotos" gallery on flickr...

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Jan 27 2015, 09:29 PM
Post #138

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (Toma B @ Jan 27 2015, 03:14 PM) *
I made this gif animation by adding same frames in reverse order after the last frame in the original, so that Ceres rotates back and forth.

Ceres rotating back and forth

blink.gif

I'm getting closer to believing those linear markings are real!

--------------------

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jan 27 2015, 09:48 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 1206

Whatever else resolves as we get closer, the theory that there would be no surface relief, just albedo differences, except at the poles because of Ceres' fairly high temperature seems to be dead.
Which presumably says something about the near surface composition not being generally icy (a really thick lag?).

P

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 27 2015, 09:54 PM
Post #140

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

One possibility, which wasn't considered very likely, is that Ceres' crust is undifferentiated -- that the crust never heated enough to change from its primordial mix of ice and rock. The reason that this is unlikely is that if Ceres' interior has differentiated (and it almost certainly has), then you'd have the situation of a denser crust above a less dense icy mantle, which is unstable -- you'd expect the crust to founder into the mantle in that situation.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jan 27 2015, 09:58 PM
Post #141

Member No.: 7310

QUOTE (Toma B @ Jan 27 2015, 10:14 PM) *

It really is. Somebody should pass on a tip to the right people. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 27 2015, 10:28 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 6780

The ideas of Phil and Toma B combined, stretched:

I've taken the average of two consecutive images to reduce image noise, but to avoid too much motion blur, allowing for some non-linear brightness stretching.
The stretching suggests higher specularity than real, but it hopefully shows features a bit more distinguished.
The apparent huge linear features make me think of Europa and large rift valleys on Earth, i.e. of tectonic features. Plate tectonics on a water basis instead of magma would be a thought I could get used to.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Jan 27 2015, 10:34 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 542

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2015, 09:54 PM) *
if Ceres' interior has differentiated (and it almost certainly has)

I'm not up to speed on Ceres literature and I suspect a lot of other readers won't be. Can you remind us why the interior has almost certainly differentiated?

And while I'm here I'd like to add my thanks to Toma B. I agree with Habukaz - it really does help.

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jan 27 2015, 10:50 PM
Post #144

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

Here is a stack of 9 images from the new January 26 images, corrected for Ceres' rotation. I used the last 9 images from the rotation movie. The image processing is very similar to what I did earlier with the Januar 13 images, a linear contrast stretch followed by an unsharp mask.

Attached Image

This is getting curiouser and curiouser. The southern hemisphere now looks even more interesting and I don't think albedo variations are a big factor there. I also notice hints of long linear features with roughly a NW-SE direction; I'm pretty sure they are real.

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 27 2015, 08:48 PM) *
Whenever an interviewer asks me what mission I want to see next, I always say I want a Uranus orbiter. I want to see those moons up close, and study that ring system. Uranus needs more advocates.

Some time ago Uranus also became my absolute #1 target I'd like to see visited by a spacecraft mission (preferably an orbiter). It's well above my #2 target and I strongly agree that it needs more advocates.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jan 27 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 627

I am also seeing a lot of ridges.. maybe smoothed out due to warmer ice on Ceres surface?
And is the bright spot really that bright or is that an imaging artifact?

Also vote for Uranus mission!

Craig

+Quote Post
MarsInMyLifetime
post Jan 27 2015, 11:27 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 6108

I don't know how it would be possible, but the visual impression I now get from the animations is of a rift valley separating the upper and lower hemispheres. Do any of the ice mantle scenarios make plate tectonics possible?

--------------------
--
Don

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Jan 27 2015, 11:43 PM
Post #147

Member No.: 627

Still fixated on the bright spot. Know the image processing to bring out other more subtle features would enhance it but. Really is bright compared to surroundings.

This I so cool fellow space friends. A big thanks to the DAWN team for providing the images so quickly! What a ride!

Craig

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 27 2015, 11:45 PM
Post #148

Member No.: 15

I absolutely agree with Bjorn and bellaraphon1 and MarsInMyLifetime, and take back some of my earlier comments about the "dark ribbon." It really looks like a very wide chasm system running from southeast to just south of due west, starting out the width of what looks like a large impact basin but stretching on, either the crater chain of all crater chains or an actual rift valley the likes of which dwarf even those on some of the Saturnian and Uraniun icy moons we've seen.

I'm almost brought to mind, looking at the terrain that begins to peek out from around the right horizon, of a massive disruption of the planet and re-assemblage of the chunks in somewhat random orientations. Ceres also looks a lot lumpier, i.e. non-spherical, and to a greater degree, than I would have thought.

But, again, we'll know better very, very soon.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jan 27 2015, 11:48 PM
Post #149

Member No.: 15

I gotta think the bright spot is an extremely fresh crater into an ice layer. Maybe not that old, either -- to escape the darkening effects of solar radiation and small impactors and be that relatively bright, we could be looking at a feature formed in the last few millennia, if not centuries.

The next question is whether or not the entire crust is basically ice, or something else with pockets or discontinuous layers of ice. That could explain why an impact in one location would be super-reflective while one only a few hundred km away is not.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
antipode
post Jan 27 2015, 11:58 PM
Post #150

Member No.: 1206

Does anyone have the feeling that within a few months there is going to be intense discussion here (and elsewhere!) about lander missions, and where to send them? cool.gif

Seems to be indications of smaller bright spots. Could large impactors punch through several kilometres of dark lag to expose fresh ice, which then as the other Doug suggests, darkens over time?

P

+Quote Post

51 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:58 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.