50 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Distant vistas, Endeavour, Iazu, and beyond
Geert
post Feb 28 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 4185

Mathematically it's possible to calculate the distance from some 'mountain' top by measuring the angle it is protruding above the horizon (even it the foot of the hill is still invisible below the horizon), or vice versa you can calculate the height of the object if you know the exact distance to it.

Theoretically it seems to me it would be possible to do this same calculation on Mars, we can calculate the angle by measuring the number of pixels a hill is protruding above the horizon (total camera viewing angle is known as well as total pixel height of the image). It would surely be only a very rough result, but it might be fun to see how it works out and compares to orbital measurements.

Two problems are that you need to take into account the refraction of light (well known on earth, but on Mars?) and you need to be certain that the horizon you see is indeed the horizon and not some landmark or hill, so the flatter the landscape the better it works.

I don't know whether anyone has ever tried to do this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 28 2010, 03:56 AM
Post #137

Member No.: 152

Yeah, I did this a while ago for the east rim of Endeavour in this post.
We can now see quite a bit more, and I estimate we can now see close to 200 metres of vertical extent of the east rim.

Refraction would make the hills look shorter than they really are, so 200 metres would be a lower limit. But I doubt refraction matters too much here since the atmosphere is so thin.

We can't see all of the rim yet, so there's got to be more height to the rim hills than we can see yet. So again 200 metres is a lower limit, but probably not by much.

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Feb 28 2010, 04:52 AM
Post #138

Member No.: 4489

I have a question for the image processing whiz kids here. I've filtered the region above the horizon line with the standard 2d median in photoshop, which does a good job of removing the compression noise but smears the mountain peaks and valleys. Since the brightness of the horizon profile increases (roughly) monotonically with increasing elevation, it seems that a median filter applied along segments of single vertical columns centered on the pixel of interest would remove much of the compression noise without distorting the image significantly. Is anyone able to implement such a filter and apply it to our horizon profiles?

for noise like this i have been using GRAYCstoration from the bash shell .
There is a new Gimp plugin called GMIC
the above pic"1P319941552ESFABCXP2378L6M2.JPG"
[attachment=20860:crop.png]
a height 2x using Gmic
[attachment=20861:crop.h2x.png]

3x height
variations

all the above are using Gimp plugin

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 28 2010, 04:58 AM
Post #139

Member No.: 5221

Is the rim taller or shorter then the Columbia hills? That would be a useful practical comparison. I've tried searching for their height but can't seem to find it anywhere, except McCool hill at around 130 metres or so.
Who knows, Opportunity might do some climbing before EOM. That would be an undisputed "heckuva view", right? wink.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 28 2010, 09:21 AM
Post #140

Member No.: 542

Explorer, your post has prompted me to do some digging back in relation to possible future hills and vistas. I've remarked on most of this previously but here I've collected some relevant images from earlier posts.

First the contour map from tim53, post 113 above:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=20806

This shows the downslope increasing quite sharply near the end point of the yellow line. The view forward should become increasingly spectacular over the last km. or so of that route. It also shows that the nearest group of hills to the south rise from a base that is already well down the slope into Endeavour Crater. We do not even see the tops of those hills yet, so for the moment let's call them the 'invisible hills'.

Next pgrindrod's excellent visibility map from post 120 above:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=20817
The invisible hills are aboult half way up that image and indeed show no green shading.

Now to go a bit further back here is a crop of the Endeavour HiRise image posted by SFJ Cody in post 105 of the Endeavour thread:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=16180
I think this shows the northernmost detached part of the invisible hills (rotated 180 degrees?), surrounded by a shoreline-like feature. (**speculation alert - Endeavour Lake???**).

Finally, a vertically exaggerated view which nevertheless gives a good impression of the vertical extent of the topography within Endeavour, all of which should be visible from the viewpoint in question. This is from Marswiggle's post 121 in the Endeavour thread:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&id=17360

If someone with the google Mars facility could post a virtual panorama from the end of the yellow projected route that would be just wonderful.

EDIT: One more handy link to add - a zoomable CTX courtesy of Stu, post 117 in 'Endeavour drive, drivability analysis' thread:
http://global-data.mars.asu.edu/ctx/img/P0...1780_XI_02S005W

+Quote Post
fredk
post Feb 28 2010, 03:56 PM
Post #141

QUOTE (pgrindrod @ Feb 24 2010, 06:33 PM) *
Just to show what the underlying DEM looks like for all these viewsheds, here's a couple of coloured hillshades with contours (one with labels, one without).

Pete, could you post a higher-resolution version of the plot with contour labels? I was trying to see if your plot agreed with my estimate above of the height of the east rim hill of a bit over 200 metres, but the resolution is not quite enough...

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Feb 28 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 2873

hi fredk. i'm afraid this is all i've got with me in houston - will it do? it's the biggest i could squeeze in under 1 mb, but if you pm me i could probably email you a bigger version.

Attached Image

if you need anything else like countours changing, or specific point measurements or profiles, then i'm afraid it'll have to wait until i'm back at ucl.

pete

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 28 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #143

If the rim is 200 meters, then it's way taller than McCool, the tallest Columbia Hill. Quite a view!
But from what a PM told me there's no good geological reason for Oppy to climb the rim, is there?

But I'd be happy to settle for just reaching their base one day. smile.gif

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 28 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #144

Explorer1 I'm trying to help here. On the side we are approaching from (west) Endeavour doesn't have a rim. There is nothing to climb. We should get the view just by descending gradually across the plain to the point where the ground slopes away a bit more steeply into the crater.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Mar 1 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #145

Member No.: 184

Here's a rough idea looking SE from near Endeavour with Google Mars:

Attached Image

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Mar 1 2010, 01:08 AM
Post #146

Oh, that clears it up, thanks!

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 1 2010, 01:23 AM
Post #147

QUOTE (pgrindrod @ Feb 28 2010, 05:55 PM) *
hi fredk. i'm afraid this is all i've got with me in houston - will it do?

That's great, thanks Pete. I can now read the elevation of east rim hill, and it looks like roughly 200 metres above the surrounding plains. So we are seeing essentially all of that peak above plain level now.

But east rim peak is roughly 700 metres above the lowest point inside Endeavour, which happens to be adjacent to east peak. That's some serious topography.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Mar 2 2010, 10:46 PM
Post #148

Just in case anyone is following this thread but not Nirgal's 3D from 2D magic don't miss these previews of the 'invisible hills':
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=156307

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 4 2010, 06:52 AM
Post #149

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Nice...

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
fredk
post Mar 4 2010, 09:00 PM
Post #150

QUOTE (Tesheiner @ Jan 27 2010, 08:00 AM) *
This is a good place to take a pancam shot on that direction to see if the beacon is still visible too.

The new pancam series includes the N to NE horizon, where Victoria would be if it's still visible. Since we'll presumably start dropping soon, this may be our last good chance to see it. I think the Beacon/Cape St. Mary is barely visible. I've pointed to it on this image - the azimuth looks pretty much right, but there's no guarantee we're not just seeing big dunes here:
Attached Image

Check out this post for a comparable previous view of the Beacon, from sol 2039.

Doing a Phil-o-vision on the new image, we can perhaps see the outline of Victoria. The angular width is about right:
Attached Image

+Quote Post

50 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:58 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.