Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
More InSights?
Fox
post Oct 31 2022, 05:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8735

The InSight mission has be very interesting to follow. I wonder how feasible it would be to build a handful of identical landers and disperse them to various locations around Mars. The seismometers could work in tandem, and the weather stations could watch conditions in multiple places. The moles could experiment with other types of soil. Not to mention new ground photos of some more regions.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 31 2022, 06:07 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Fox @ Oct 31 2022, 09:51 AM) *
I wonder how feasible it would be to build a handful of identical landers and disperse them to various locations around Mars.

No problem, if you have about $600M per vehicle exclusive of launch and operations cost. https://www.planetary.org/space-policy/cost-of-mars-insight

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Oct 31 2022, 06:37 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 184

Reminds me of this proposal for MetNet:

http://fmispace.fmi.fi/old-metnet/index.php?id=72

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Oct 31 2022, 07:35 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (scalbers @ Oct 31 2022, 11:37 AM) *
Reminds me of this proposal for MetNet:

Proposals for networks go back to at least MESUR: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MESUR

But as I understand it, Insight-quality seismometers are hard to accommodate on small fixed-base landers. Met instruments are much less challenging.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
StargazeInWonder
post Nov 1 2022, 02:26 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 9140

InSight provided information that wasn't previously available regarding the challenges of martian seismology, including the noise from wind. Of course, the failure of the heat probe mole and the lack of dust-clearing events at the InSight location were two other pieces of bad news from which a subsequent mission could learn. I don't know how those upgrades would compete against other possible missions, but it seems like sooner or later, there'll be a next, better Mars internal structure mission.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.