30 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
New Horizons Jupiter Encounter
NMRguy
post Jan 31 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 448

Thanks again, Emily. It's really nice and very easy to follow, and it gives you a clear idea of what cameras/spectrometers will be used in tandem. Keep up the great work!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lyford
post Jan 31 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 124

Thanks for the preview Emily, but I couldn't help but be reminded of this Far Side cartoon: biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
Attached Image

--------------------
Lyford Rome
"Zis is not nuts, zis is super-nuts!" Mathematician Richard Courant on viewing an Orion test

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 1 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #138

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

At that, the dog understands a lot more than my daughter does wink.gif

The "blah blah" is gone; I've uploaded my update, with some illustration and some more explanatory text. Check it out! It'll probably get tweaked one last time before I blog it. Please feel free to send me an email with any comments or suggestions.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 1 2007, 12:35 AM
Post #139

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think the pics from Dave's simulator are a master stroke. Whoever thought of adding those is a genius.

In all seriousness - it takes Johns XLS, and makes it suitable for public consumption - great work.

I don't know how good the New Horizons trajectory is for Celestia, but if it's any good - I'll do a movie of it.

Doug

+Quote Post
ugordan
post Feb 1 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #140

Member No.: 523

There are a few more images posted on the SOC page, up to Jan 24 and a range of 57 million km. Albedo features are slowly becoming resolvable on the moons. I wonder why the north on Jupiter is not up (or left) in these images, but somewhat tilted, does the S/C use the celestial north pole instead? A couple of frames targeting a specific moon do seem to have Jovian north aligned to a spacecraft axis on the other hand.

EDIT: Curious, the images have disappeared again. Oh well, they'll be back.

This post has been edited by ugordan: Feb 1 2007, 02:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 1 2007, 01:24 PM
Post #141

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Probably just the attitude of the spacecraft when imaging - it doesn't really matter smile.gif Perhaps there is some sort of alignment involved for the other instruments to sweep across the disk?

Doug

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 1 2007, 02:35 PM
Post #142

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (ugordan @ Feb 1 2007, 12:16 PM) *
There are a few more images posted on the SOC page, up to Jan 24 and a range of 57 million km. Albedo features are slowly becoming resolvable on the moons.

Is it possible that we are starting to see details to a point where we can already identify some larger volcanoes?...
Hey...What do I know? This may be even not Io at all... rolleyes.gif
But it looks like it and if it is...is it possible that some new volcanoes have appeared since the last visit?... ph34r.gif

If I'm wrong and this is Callisto or some other Moon please give me some discount, I've been inside an abyss for too long... tongue.gif

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
john_s
post Feb 1 2007, 02:36 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 117

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jan 31 2007, 05:12 PM) *
It seems it should be possible to combine LORRI detail images with MVIC color. MVIC's field of view is 20 times broader than LORRI's, but its CCD is almost 5 times broader, so in fact MVIC's resolution is only four times coarser than LORRI's, which is not bad.

We'll be doing some MVIC/LORRI combinations, but not many at Jupiter, because we can't actually use MVIC much at Jupiter- it's too sensitive to be useable on the day side of Jupiter or its moons, so the images will saturate. It's also fairly data-intensive due to the large field of view- we don't yet have the capability to store only the rows containing the target. But we will get a couple of images of the Jupiter terminator, several scans of Io's night side, and we'll include an MVIC scan in the Io/Europa conjunction Kodak moment- maybe we'll catch some blue plumes off the limb and make a nice LORRI/MVIC combo image there.

John.

+Quote Post
ustrax
post Feb 1 2007, 04:32 PM
Post #144

Special Cookie

Member No.: 228

QUOTE (ustrax @ Feb 1 2007, 02:35 PM) *
Hey...What do I know? This may be even not Io at all... rolleyes.gif

But sure looks like it... blink.gif
Sharpened version

--------------------
"Ride, boldly ride," The shade replied, "If you seek for Eldorado!"
Edgar Alan Poe

+Quote Post
Alan Stern
post Feb 1 2007, 06:11 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 173

That's cool. Seems convincing on first look. Spencer-- You're Dr. Io. What do you think?

-Alan

+Quote Post
john_s
post Feb 1 2007, 06:17 PM
Post #146

Member No.: 117

I've a feeling these are artifacts resulting from the sharpening process, unfortunately. Ustrax's images did prompt me to go back to our orignal data and look at the Io images more closely, but so far I haven't been able to confirm those features. Not quite done though- I'll look a bit further.

John

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Feb 1 2007, 06:22 PM
Post #147

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Is that even Io? Check out my post on Io earlier: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...ost&p=82165

If ustrax has the right hemisphere according to his reference image, the most prominent feature in the image should Bosphorus Regio, which should appear bright near the center of the disk. Media Regio oddly appears brighter than Bosphorus, which doesn't make any sense.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 1 2007, 07:37 PM
Post #148

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

QUOTE (Alan Stern @ Feb 1 2007, 10:11 AM) *
Spencer-- You're Dr. Io.

On his way into work does he sing, "Io, Io, it's off to work we go!"

Sorry I had to say it before Bob Shaw did.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Feb 1 2007, 08:21 PM
Post #149

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

No, it's "Io my soul to the company store"

(Sixteen Tons...)

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Feb 1 2007, 09:17 PM
Post #150

Guests

That's a more catchy description than the one where the 1970's era newscaster pronounced Io as "ten."

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:02 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.