Closed TopicStart new topic
New Horizons: Near Encounter Phase
Phil Stooke
post Jul 13 2015, 03:18 PM
Post #31

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

This is absolutely a case where space nerds win out over linguist nerds. The name is only pretending to be Greek. The moon is actually named after the discoverer's wife and is just modified slightly to look like it's mythological, to pass IAU inspection.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
xflare
post Jul 13 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 84

excellent and informative briefing so far I must say

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 03:28 PM
Post #33

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

The early, distant detection of ionized nitrogen seems to be the most unexpected thing thus far.

Presser wrapping up.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Greg Hullender
post Jul 13 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 590

Does anyone have an estimate of how much of Pluto will not be imaged at all? Either because it's in the dark or just due to the geometry of the encounter?

Best would be a contour map showing resolution in different regions, but just a measure of the invisible amount would be interesting. Same for Charon.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 13 2015, 03:30 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1004

yep, though I expected to see the few LORRI images from yesterday

+Quote Post
alk3997
post Jul 13 2015, 03:33 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 7390

If I followed Dr. Stern correctly, molecular nitrogen was found five days out of closest approach. Actually at that distance it was ionized nitrogen and is believed to have come from Pluto. The detection was significantly further out than had been expected which *implies* some type of more energetic release mechanism on Pluto. However, the data resolution is too low to really tell at this point.

Also, the methane signature of Pluto's dark regions is significantly lower than that of the polar region.

We all get to add this new information to our image interpretations...

Andy

+Quote Post
Bjorn Jonsson
post Jul 13 2015, 03:38 PM
Post #37

IMG to PNG GOD

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 38

New version of my Pluto map where I have added the 2015-07-11 22:23 image that was released by the NH team last night if I remember correctly (things are happening fast now!). Longitude 0 is at the left edge of the map.

Attached Image

Of course this is probably only hours (or possibly even minutes) from getting completely outdated - and if I want to keep the map up to date I soon need to make a bigger version.

+Quote Post
OWW
post Jul 13 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 99

1 million km.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 13 2015, 03:42 PM
Post #39

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Next media event will be tomorrow 14 Jul/1130 GMT for closest approach, followed by a presser/image release.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Saturns Moon Tit...
post Jul 13 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 7566

Is the media conference going to be uploaded to youtube? I missed it.

+Quote Post
Marvin
post Jul 13 2015, 03:52 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 6540

QUOTE (nprev @ Jul 13 2015, 11:42 AM) *
Next media event will be tomorrow 14 Jul/1130 GMT for closest approach, followed by a presser/image release.

Things are happening fast now. As mentioned in a previous briefing, we may not see all the data for awhile. But I'm sure they will put out some images and data this week.

I "accidentally" took a screen grab from a monitor during a live feed from NH Mission Operations today:

Attached Image

It sure doesn't look like telemetry data. Although it's too small to be useful, if it is an image of Pluto or Charon, it could be a teaser of the kind of resolution and detail we can soon expect. Personally, I think it could be a close up on Pluto...

+Quote Post
Habukaz
post Jul 13 2015, 03:57 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 7310

Björn's map illustrates how the bright areas to the west in the last image release is probably (at the least) a half-decent preview of the rest of heart feature. The bright stuff here is probably similar to the bright stuff in the rest of it. Judging by lower-resolution maps, there were already solid hints that this part would not be some sort of uniform white, however.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Julius
post Jul 13 2015, 04:01 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 741

The fact that our closest approach view will include the brightest region and part of the dark region together with other parts in between albedos ,should give us a good representation of all terrain types visualized so far on pluto.

+Quote Post
Req
post Jul 13 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 7506

New briefing is up here:

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/inde...;catid=1:latest

+Quote Post
paraisosdelsiste...
post Jul 13 2015, 04:20 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 6597

Just updated the New Horizons image database: http://nchazarra.duckdns.org/db/
Now you can also download the whole records in .csv.

+Quote Post

86 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 10:28 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.