10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Venera Images, VENERA 13 fully calibrated image
ljk4-1
post Jan 12 2006, 05:53 PM
Post #76

Group: Members
Member No.: 430

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jan 11 2006, 08:47 PM)
Yes, the first shots of Venus from Venera 9 and 10 turned out to be remarkable for their sheer ordinariness.  Not only was there no super-refractive "swimming pool effect" (which had recently become a staple of SF stories about the planet; John Varley's first published story used it and was called "In the Bowl"), but even in those grainy photos it was clear that the horizon was fairly sharp and that the  shadows even of small pebbles, despite the dense atmosphere, were quite sharp.  In fact, the Soviets had equipped the two landers with floodlights on the assumption that the solar illumination might be too dim to see the surface otherwise!  The much better photos from Venera 13 and 14, of course, confirmed all this even more dramatically (and also revealed that fiery orange sky, although I don't know whether that color was predicted in advance). 

The big reason Soviet scientists thought Venus would be so dark at its surface is that the Venera 8 lander reported dim lighting conditions in 1972. Venera 8 did this with cadmium sulfide photoresistors (try to fit that phrase into your next dinner conversation), as it carried no cameras.

But what they did not seem to take into account was that the Sun was only 5 degrees above the horizon at the Venera 8 landing site when the readings were taken.

ftp://ftp.seds.org/pub/info/newsletters/e...93/jasa9303.txt

--------------------
"After having some business dealings with men, I am occasionally chagrined,
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

- Henry David Thoreau, November 15, 1853

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jan 23 2006, 05:08 PM
Post #77

Soviet Veneras and Mars: first entry probes trajectory reconstruction and science

Viktor Kerzhanovich, Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Pasadena, CA, USA

Konstantin Pichkhadze, Lavochkin Association,
Moscow, Russia

Presented to International Workshop on Planetary
Probe Atmospheric Entry and Descent Trajectory
Analysis and Science

Lisbon, Portugal, 6-9 October 2003

http://trs-new.jpl.nasa.gov/dspace/bitstream/2014/37338/1/03

Though most of the data and probe images are on the Veneras, there are some very nice diagrams of Mars 3 and 6 and data charts on the Martian atmosphere from Mars 6.

--------------------
and feel as if I had done some wrong, and it is hard to forget the ugly circumstance.
I see that such intercourse long continued would make one thoroughly prosaic, hard,
and coarse. But the longest intercourse with Nature, though in her rudest moods, does
not thus harden and make coarse. A hard, sensible man whom we liken to a rock is
indeed much harder than a rock. From hard, coarse, insensible men with whom I have
no sympathy, I go to commune with the rocks, whose hearts are comparatively soft."

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 23 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #78

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Great find! I had seen the Mars 6 stuff in an old 1977 paper he wrote in Icarus, but good to see that the dataset is being presented again. Regardless of overall value, it is the first in situ data (other than the mysterious Mars 3 blurb) from the Martian atmosphere and there are only five other decent profiles in existence - it would be a pitty for it to be totally forgotten.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ljk4-1
post Jun 3 2006, 08:34 PM
Post #79

Found this Soviet document from 1969 on their Venera missions up to
Venera 6. Some nice and uncommon (for the West) artwork and diagrams:

http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/venera/obl.html

This whole site is a gold mine of old and not so old Soviet space books
and documents - most of it in Russian, oddly enough:

http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/biblioteka.htm

http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/oblojki/oblojki.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Jun 4 2006, 03:13 AM
Post #80

Guests

QUOTE (ljk4-1 @ Jun 3 2006, 01:34 PM) *
Found this Soviet document from 1969 on their Venera missions up to
Venera 6. Some nice and uncommon (for the West) artwork and diagrams:

http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/venera/obl.html
This whole site is a gold mine of old and not so old Soviet space books
and documents - most of it in Russian, oddly enough:

http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/biblioteka.htm

http://epizodsspace.testpilot.ru/bibl/oblojki/oblojki.html

Yep, that site has been around for some years. Sergey Khlynin did most of the work. He's been a big help to me in my research, especially making some special high-res scans of rare photos.

+Quote Post
Rakhir
post Sep 11 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #81

Member No.: 495

Don,

your images are amazing ! ohmy.gif

Old Soviet Images of Venus Yield Fresh Surprises

+Quote Post
dilo
post Sep 11 2006, 07:23 PM
Post #82

Member No.: 150

To many things are happening today...
These Venera(ble) images are breathtaking ohmy.gif , I'm impressed by the atmosphere transparency...
Beautiful! We must send a MER (VER) there... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Stu
post Sep 11 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #83

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Congratulations on being featured on SPACE.com Don! About time your fantastic images were seen by a wider audience. The one of the hills is literally breathtaking.

--------------------

+Quote Post
climber
post Sep 11 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #84

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Stu @ Sep 12 2006, 12:10 AM) *
The one of the hills is literally breathtaking.

Yep! Here too, we can near rim, far rim and far-far rim wink.gif
Seriously, been used of the original pictures, I've got the feeling to discover a new word. Kind of going from "Phil's polars" to Dilo's, Midnigth Mars, etc...
Thanks so much and congratulations Don.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 11 2006, 11:52 PM
Post #85

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Congratulations! It is great to see the images in a human perspective.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 11 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #86

Guests

Thanks guys. NBC picked up the story too (MSNBC). Interesting to see how they fiddled with Leonard's wording and my quotes, and kind of broke most of them. :-)

I'll add a blog entry on my site with a little more explaination about the images.

+Quote Post
DFinfrock
post Sep 12 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 503

Don,

Those old Venera images were always appreciated for the close up views of the rocks scattered around the landers. But after viewing your versions, with hills and real horizons, Venus has become a real PLACE for me, just as Gusev and Meridiani are real places. Thanks so much. Your efforts are really appreciated.

David

+Quote Post
Guest_DonPMitchell_*
post Sep 12 2006, 01:28 AM
Post #88

Guests

Thanks, it was an afterthought really, but I'm glad I did it. My brain definately sees the terrain better in perspective, even though I am not seeing an new pixels.

I added a little extra info about the project on my blog: Venus in Perspective

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Sep 12 2006, 02:26 AM
Post #89

Member No.: 15

Yes, thanks, Don! In particular, the "hills" remind me a lot of a lava dike that has breached and allowed a fan-shaped flow of lava to come in and pave the area upon which the lander sits.

Fascinating place!

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Sep 12 2006, 03:01 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 385

I was delighted to see Don's Pictures. I couldn't believe it since I have seen a partial picture. Below the Venusian atmosphere looks so transparent even many kilometers.

Rodolfo

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.