Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pluto System Cartography, places and names
JRehling
post Aug 27 2015, 11:01 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 321

A point of comparison:

The various Mars rovers had mission planning that included the use of unofficial names for, e.g., individual rocks, so that science teams could coordinate effectively. This was absolutely necessary for daily rover operations.

The Pluto observations, on the other hand, were all performed according to a pre-programmed script, so there was little to no operational need for unofficial names. It may be useful to have unofficial names in order to begin scientific work, but I don't think there's much hazard of serious problems at this point. Any papers referring to specific features will probably be published after some of the names have been finalized, so in those cases, the authors can perform an edit before final submission.

I once caught an error in the naming of linear features on Europa, where published papers and the USGS map were in conflict. An unfortunate glitch, but also a pretty small and temporary one. And that was due not to unofficial names, but because the continuity of two intertangled linea was hard to track with the human eye.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Aug 27 2015, 06:37 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 530

QUOTE (JRehling @ Aug 27 2015, 07:01 AM) *
but I don't think there's much hazard of serious problems at this point

Unless it becomes a skirmish in a wider war. (Which won't happen here on UMSF, thanks be to mod)

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 27 2015, 06:41 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 132

Mod is great!

+Quote Post
Nafnlaus
post Sep 5 2015, 10:08 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 7507

Kneel Before Mod!

hehe... but anyway, given the pace that the IAU naming process works at, I don't think we have to worry about conflicting names for some time. So I don't expect to see a lot of conflicts. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 6 2015, 08:03 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 7579

Icosahedral projection of Pluto map translated from scalbers map:
Attached Image

Icosahedral projection of Charon map translated from Bjorn Jonsson map:
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 6 2015, 08:51 AM
Post #36

Color icosahedral projection of Pluto map from scalbers original map http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/pluto/pluto_rgb_cyl_16k.png
Attached Image

Color icosahedral projection of Charon map from Bjorn Jonsson original map http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...t&id=37406
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 6 2015, 11:35 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 105

What an interesting projections. Could it be printed, cut up and folded into a, uh, penta-whatever sphere?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 6 2015, 11:40 AM
Post #38

QUOTE (Bill Harris @ Sep 6 2015, 04:35 PM) *
What an interesting projections. Could it be printed, cut up and folded into a, uh, penta-whatever sphere?

--Bill

Yes, it is possible to glue the icosahedron. I wanted to do it, but in my printer ended magenta cartridge ...
Cut off blue area after printing
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gennady Ionov
post Sep 6 2015, 12:47 PM
Post #39

Printed
Attached Image

and glued icosahedron
Attached Image

It does not look as good as thought. Not enough sphericity ...
Icosahedral class I wrote for automatic construction of maps from LORRI images but not for making the globe.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Sep 6 2015, 01:40 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 5458

HAHA! laugh.gif

Great seeing someone try it out Gennady.

Seems like this could be a really good approximation for a globe. Translating the map into the strip could prove a bit more difficult.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Sep 6 2015, 04:04 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 105

Yes, it is possible to glue the icosahedron...

Great, then I'll piddle away some time with it. I have some printable card stock which should do well. smile.gif

There was someone here (and maybe still is here) who specialized in producing really nice foldable globes of planetary bodies. More faces than an isocktawhatever (sorry, it's been decades since Mineralogy/Crystallography Classes and I don't feel like counting on my fingers in Latin) and really detailed.

Does anyone recall who that was?

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post
chuckclark
post Sep 6 2015, 08:04 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 3967

Might be me.

I made those foldable maps of several asteroids, and Phobos and Deimos that got a bit of attention a few years ago.

World maps with constant-scale natural boundaries, (samples at www.rightbasicbuilding.com).

As well as maps of spherical bodies that also fold to solids.

Trouble is, if trouble it be, that my maps of spherical bodies fold up to condensations of the sphere rather than nice spheres.

Other projection systems based on platonic solids generate better spheres. Some better than others: the icosahedral is pointy; the daisy-hemispheres is pretty good. The "apple-peel" example above is especially nice! I've not seen it before; someone should take a bow.)

So, anyway, mine come out lumpy or misshapen in an irregular manner that is a function of the natural boundary system selected as the map's border. The advantage is not so much the globe as it is the map itself, which is also irregular (sometimes highly irregular) but precisely so to display global patterns. A map of earth using (subsets of) continental divides is nice for contemplating global geomorphology, and can be rearranged for different perspectives on the subject.

I'm highly intrigued by the new information on Pluto, and begin to strategize a boundary system to experiment with, similar to what my coauthor and I did at last year's lpsc with Miranda, Ganymede, Dione and Enceladus.

Consider a bifurcating centroid-tree through Sputnik and then out the white lobes as a starting system. Not sure how far the apparent evidence could take it, perhaps branching again, from there.

It may be possible to identify points of interest and districts of distinction on an unseen hemisphere based on large-scale organization of an observed hemisphere. At least for bodies with shell-like crusts in existence long enough to have attained gross equilibrium. (This worked especially well on Ganymede, and not too bad on Dione, but of course this was reverse engineering because those surfaces are known in entirety or nearly so.) Miranda was another test, but of course the back side will remain unseen for the foreseeable future.

Pluto might be a nice test body for this conjecture, because some information about the hemisphere unobserved by New Horizons is in those 2011 blurry Hubble images, which some maps above have included.

No promises. I may get distracted by 67-P Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Or maybe Bennu.

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Sep 6 2015, 08:24 PM
Post #43

Member No.: 542

Also JRehling did one for Titan - see here: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j...jCG0CjAYPLR3png

Something like that would be very nice for Pluto.

+Quote Post
ZLD
post Sep 6 2015, 09:39 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 5458

My knowledge of cartography is pretty limited so apologies if this isn't useful to many frequenting this thread. I was pretty fascinated when I saw that apple-peeling projection and set out to find anything I could. Seems like interest in such a projection is limited, at least from a flat perspective sense but seems pretty useful in making globes. The relevant function to generate the line is called a 'Rhumb Line' I believe which is essentially a line that crosses the longitudinal coordinates at a constant angle. Here's another page also about rhumb lines. Can't seem to find anyone else that has translated this into a physical model though.

I think to create what was in the video I posted earlier, he probably takes a stereographic polar map and then overlays the function line and then does the opposite for the other hemisphere.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Req
post Sep 6 2015, 11:29 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 7506

QUOTE (ZLD @ Sep 6 2015, 02:39 PM) *
My knowledge of cartography is pretty limited so apologies if this isn't useful to many frequenting this thread. I was pretty fascinated when I saw that apple-peeling projection and set out to find anything I could. Seems like interest in such a projection is limited, at least from a flat perspective sense but seems pretty useful in making globes. The relevant function to generate the line is called a 'Rhumb Line' I believe which is essentially a line that crosses the longitudinal coordinates at a constant angle. Here's another page also about rhumb lines. Can't seem to find anyone else that has translated this into a physical model though.

I think to create what was in the video I posted earlier, he probably takes a stereographic polar map and then overlays the function line and then does the opposite for the other hemisphere.

Or there's this, a link from the page from the video, which appears to spit out something you can print given the proper input format, although I haven't tested it:

http://print-sphere.com/

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:01 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.