Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
HiRISE image for public exhibition - suggestions
pgrindrod
post Aug 2 2013, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2873

I was wondering if the fantastic hivemind of UMSF might be able to help me out...

As part of the European Planetary Science Congress, which will be held at University College London in September, I am putting together what I hope will be a fairly unique image exhibition.

I have been given the go-ahead to print out a HiRISE image, measuring about 3 x 40 m, to run the length of an entire wall of one of UCL's main buildings. The exhibition will be up for about 3 months afterwards, and will be open to the public free of charge. The goal of this exhibition is simple – to showcase a beautiful image at an unprecedented scale. I hope that the image will challenge visitors to understand and explore the image at different distances, with some details only visible on a centimetre-scale, whereas larger vistas require a long look from far away.

So the image is to have interesting textures, colours, shapes, patterns, rather than just scientific merit.

In my application I used the awesome sand dunes and ripples with dust-devil tracks (small crop below and link to full image), and although it is probably still my favourite at the moment, it has 2x2 binning, and I would prefer to use 1x1 if possible.

Attached Image

So...does anyone have any favourite HiRISE images that fit the brief? I am after as many suggestions as possible (I've already contacted the HiRISE team with a similar request), so that we have a good selection to choose from (final selection in next 2 weeks).

I'll be using just the colour strip (full width, not quite full length), so they're the ones to think about.

I'm afraid there's no reward on offer, other than the possibility of your favourite image as a huge print out! Of course, I'm happy to give tours of the exhibition if anyone is passing through London this Autumn.

Thanks for any help in advance,
Pete
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Aug 2 2013, 11:01 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 132

My first impression of the image you posted is that it looks like a tattoo on a (well toned) female lower abdomen. This may be a plus for getting attention! laugh.gif

This is not a frivolous post. Things like that need to be taken into consideration before posting a huge mural in public.

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Aug 2 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6237

QUOTE (pgrindrod @ Aug 2 2013, 04:49 AM) *
So...does anyone have any favourite HiRISE images that fit the brief?

First, congrats at getting permission for such a cool outreach project.

Second, there's been so many amazing HiRise images it's hard to pick just one, so I haven't. The dust devil tracks are hard to beat, but I would strongly consider some of the "spider terrain" images as both beautiful and unmistakably otherworldly. Just a quick search with the keyword "spider" on the HiRise site found dozens - here's the low-res of one of the many spectacular ones (alas, also 2x2 binned): ESP_011842_0980 .Actually, this is one of a bunch of pictures of the same "starburst spider" region at different seasons ... perhaps they could be laid end-to-end....

Many possibilities! I'm sure the crowd here can help.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 2 2013, 03:17 PM
Post #4

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I would be inclined to use one of the more spectacular landing site images - I won't suggest a specific one right now, I'll have to look, but good examples would be a strip running down the rim of Endeavour or - obviously - crossing Gale and including Yellowknife Bay and the mountain. Not only are they going to be geologically spectacular, but there's a whole extra level of human interest attached to the site itself. For both sites the tracks will be visible (assuming you choose recent images) and it will put into perspective the miniscule area we have explored as well as its context.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 2 2013, 05:54 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 5221

The ones with activity might be nice as well; this one with an avalanche, or some others with actual dust devils caught in the action.
http://www.uahirise.org/ESP_016228_2650

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Aug 2 2013, 11:58 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4489

not "hiries" but the ctx cam
-- i reprocessed a part of "G01_018494_1930_XN_13N115W.IMG"
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/funos...feat=directlink
for a "debunk" post over on

http://doubtfulnews.com/2013/07/what-is-th...-found-on-mars/
for a mass media posting of -- take a guess ...

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Aug 3 2013, 01:52 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 453

Some of my favorites:

If you sense a trend, you are correct, I do like frost patterns! I have saved dozens of my favorites; just waiting for some mural space now smile.gif

Airbag

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Aug 6 2013, 08:20 AM
Post #8

Many thanks for the suggestions and comments - all taken on board.

I'll add those images to my list of candidates, but if anyone else has any favourites from the ~30k HiRISE images then there's still time!

Thanks again for the help.

+Quote Post
Den
post Sep 15 2013, 11:55 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 5039

QUOTE (pgrindrod @ Aug 2 2013, 09:49 AM) *
In my application I used the awesome sand dunes and ripples with dust-devil tracks

Sand dunes and dust devils exist on Earth, and don't look terribly different.
For public display, I'd go with some photo which is obviously non-Earthly one.
I think an oblique shot which shows both terrain, atmosphere and a bit of space would do.
Such as:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Den
post Sep 15 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #10

Or this:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Den
post Sep 15 2013, 12:10 PM
Post #11

I tried to find *HIRISE's* oblique shots and sadly, they are a rare variety.

This reminded me of one famous shot:

http://www.astrosurf.com/merimages/Upload/...orisationV2.jpg

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 15 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #12

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Den - please re-read the first post of this thread. This was for EPSC - which is now over.

+Quote Post
pgrindrod
post Sep 16 2013, 08:45 AM
Post #13

Yep, I'm afraid that it is too late for suggestions as it's up on the wall already!

It seems to have gone down well, with loads of people taking pictures as soon as it was up. Although, I'm not sure that all the planetary scientists at EPSC even noticed it was there smile.gif

Attached Image

The exhibition will be up for two months in total, so if anybody is in London and wants to see a 40 metre HiRISE image for free then please do pop along. If you give me a shout beforehand I might even be able to give you a tour. Details on how to visit are here.

Thanks again for the suggestions. And if you get to see it, I do hope you like it.
Pete

+Quote Post
SFJCody
post Sep 16 2013, 05:20 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 12

I saw this, tweeted about it, and can confirm that it is indeed mars.gif awesome mars.gif ! Go see it! smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 07:55 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.