2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Earth to Perform Asteroid 'Flyby', Radar imaging
Hungry4info
post Nov 8 2011, 12:06 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 4270

This is going to be a newby question, but why are the asteroids in these radar images not fully lit (full phase)? If the radar antennas bounce radio waves off the asteroids, wouldn't the detector and the light source effectively be in the same place?

Secondly, I'm surprised Arecibo is to be used during closest approach. I thought that the asteroid was too near Earth for the telescope to be used, due to the time it took for it to switch from sending to receiving.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
john_s
post Nov 8 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 117

The answer is that radar images don't show the appearance of the asteroid in the plane of the sky, like a conventional camera. They are "delay/Doppler" images which means that the vertical distance in the image is the distance from the radar antenna (with the closest point to the antenna at the top of the image), and the horizontal distance shows the Doppler shift, which tells you the distance of each point from the spin axis of the asteroid.

So essentially you're looking at the asteroid from a direction perpendicular to the radar direction, in a plane that contains the spin axis, and with the asteroid being transparent so you can see both the "top" and "bottom" hemispheres simultaneously, superposed on each other.

John

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Nov 8 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 4270

Interesting! Thanks! Much appreciated.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Nov 8 2011, 03:49 AM
Post #19

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

John's right, of course, but the same radar data could be used to create plane-of-sky images. Typically we do this for spherical objects like Venus (the most frequently imaged example)... and what you get is an image with north-south ambiguity and a blurry equator. For irregular objects like asteroids we don't know the plane-of-sky shape without further work, and the process gets too messy to work well. But plot it in delay-doppler coordinates and you get images like these, with the northern and southern sides superimposed. They are perfectly superimposed if the object is symmetrical, but in cases where the object is not symmetrical in delay-doppler space - like an elongated object tilted with respect to the incoming radar - most of the image is made only from one face of the object and there is only limited ambiguity around the sub-radar point.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Nov 9 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #20

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Here's a tweaked six frame animation of the asteroid rotation, a little larger and slower than the official version.

Attached Image

Click to animate.

+Quote Post
dilo
post Nov 10 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 150

This is my attempt to improve animation through de-pixalization (Gauss filter) and height reduction (better aspect ratio)
Attached Image

Thanks to Astro0 for source animation!

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Nov 16 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 1004

two interesting releases on YU55:
Arecibo radar obs and Herschel i/r obs

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:46 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.