IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Next-gen Suborbital Researchers Conference, presentation on engaging the "interested public"
elakdawalla
post Feb 17 2010, 09:20 PM
Post #1

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

On Friday I'll be giving a presentation to the Next-generation Suborbital Researchers Conference, which is being convened for the following purpose:
A new generation of space vehicles capable of economically delivering payloads and researchers is coming on line beginning in 2010. These vehicles will revolutionize space access by providing frequent, low-cost access to space and the capability to carry research and education crew members. They will also carry experiments for technology demonstrations, for scientist in-the-loop research, and for educational/public outreach demonstrations.

Fields including atmospheric science, solar physics, microgravity science, planetary science, space life science, space physics, and education and public outreach (EPO) stand to benefit from these vehicles.

NSRC2010 will provide a forum to learn about the research and EPO capabilities of these new systems, their experiments, and EPO integration processes. NSRC2010 will also provide input on vehicle design requirements for science and education.

The conveners include people like Alan Stern and David Grinspoon, who are really interested in public engagement. I was invited to give a talk on how to engage the public, and I plan to focus my talk on engaging the "interested public" -- that is to say, you guys. I've just outlined my talk and wanted to invite anybody interested to review and suggest any additions or changes. In particular, I would really like to know if you all have any suggestions that are more specific to the focus of the conference, suborbital flight experiments that are going to be enabled by the new private launch capabilities coming online soon?

My talk outline is attached.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Social_Networking_Planetary_Science_Outline.doc ( 41K ) Number of downloads: 432

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 17 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #2

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Only thing I'd change...

"However, unlike with VMC, these missions have so far failed to take advantage of excellent image processing work of amateurs"

They've not taken advantage PUBLICLY - but we know that JC's driveability maps have been found useful, and we have Squyres on record saying he looks at UMSF after a drive to get mosaics etc.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Feb 17 2010, 11:03 PM
Post #3

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

I'd stress the point that a lot of us "amateur enthusiasts" are giving outreach talks and presentations on our own.

So by getting the interested amateurs more involved, that will in turn leverage the overall outreach to the different levels for the general public. (classrooms, museum groups, etc.) More power for less bucks.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 17 2010, 11:21 PM
Post #4

Administrator

Oh, right, I meant to mention that, thank you.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 18 2010, 01:58 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Suggest adding a bullet about inviting some of the most talented & interested amateurs to deliver presentations at professional forums showcasing their talents. I think Doug's talk last year @ JPL was a great prototype for this since it very effectively communicated the contributions possible by amateurs; this can only help foster new ideas for pro-am collaborative outreach.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 18 2010, 02:57 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 615

Emily,
Maybe a few extra 'what the public can do for your mission' bullets:

What about the production of 3D virtual flyovers for missions.
eg: the recent work by Doug and Mars3D with the HiRise and Pathfinder images.

Imaging and accessibility tools like Michael's MMB also come to mind.
Making viewing/using the images easier for a wider audience.

Another case in point would be dispelling myths. Erroneous media reports..eg: water puddle in VC and the Big Foot incidents.
Both were put to bed very quickly by the interested public, yourself included.

Bottom line: The interested public has the time and the talent and they know you (the missions) don't have the time or the money.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 18 2010, 03:31 AM
Post #7

Merciless Robot

Great post number 1000, Astro0! smile.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Feb 18 2010, 04:37 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 615

Compared to some, I guess I don't say much around here.
I just try for quality rather than quantity laugh.gif

Hmmmm unsure.gif and that's the best I could come with for post 1001! dry.gif

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 18 2010, 05:05 AM
Post #9

Merciless Robot

QUOTE (Astro0 @ Feb 17 2010, 08:37 PM) *
I just try for quality rather than quantity laugh.gif

You do exceedingly well! I'm resigned to my role as the opposite endpoint of the bell curve... rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Feb 18 2010, 12:31 PM
Post #10

Administrator

Thanks everybody for all your helpful comments! I'm incorporating them into the talk.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Feb 18 2010, 12:32 PM
Post #11

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Oh - who did those PHX landing reconstructions? You mention accelerometer data etc - that's what made that possible I think, might be worth a quick mention?

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Feb 18 2010, 03:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 197

Daniel Muller had that great countdown to landing graphic, it's been removed from his link now though.
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=5075

But I believe you were looking for this discussion:
kwan3217 was the first to post a video, but the interesting back and forth discussion begins at #39. It's interesting because it demonstrates the genesis of locating data and turning it into a product as a spontaneous collaborative effort. I'd say the graph was the first wow! moment from that process, as Emily pointed out at the time seeing the leg deployment data was just amazing. And then of course, the video

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Feb 18 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #13

Director of Galilean Photography

Group: Members
Member No.: 93

Oh snap!

Emily,
I really liked your presentation. Will the actual presentation be videoed?

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Feb 18 2010, 05:52 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 497

Pardon the skepticism, but I fail to see what suborbital research has to do with planetary science in anything but the most general way.

I remain to be convinced that this initiative is anything more than a solution in search of a problem.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 18 2010, 06:00 PM
Post #15

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

For imaging not much I imagine, but perhaps a little bit of UV spectroscopy, etc. like they did in the olden days. Not sure how much added value that is though and how much time a suborbital observation takes - probably not that long.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 04:00 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.