Mariner 6 and 7 Mosaics
tedstryk
post Aug 4 2008, 08:56 PM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Mariner 6 Mosaics.

I have reprocessed the mosaics from Mariner-6. I reconstructed the frames based on both the analog and the digital transmissions of the image. The analog images were filtered to enhance the visibility of topography, wiping out brightness information. The digital images were in 7-bit form and only a fraction of the pixels were transmitted, but they contain proper brightness information. A set of images combining the two was constructed at the time, but there is definitely some loss of detail. Working in 16 bit, I can do a better job. I also worked to remove after-images. Another problem is that the wide angle camera that took these mosaics cycled through filters but did not take the images on top of each other for color combination. Rather, the filters were simply included to test the photographic properties for color studies on future missions (although Mariner-7 did some color work). As a result, I had to modify the mosaics so that the frames would cosmetically match.

Far encounter (last two frames).

Attached Image

Mosaic 1

Attached Image

Mosaic 2 and 3. These overlapped. Also, there was a small gore between the two mosaics. I filled it in with Mariner 7 near encounter data.

Attached Image

Narrow angle. Narrow angle frames 6 and 14 happened to slightly overlap, allowing the one narrow angle mosaic to be made.

Attached Image

I am now working on Mariner 7 mosaics. There are more Mariner 7 images, and due to some issues with the digital versions of them, they are proving quite difficult. I hope to post them soon.
I also hope to further clean up the Mariner 6 frames and mosaics.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 4 2008, 09:45 PM
Post #2

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Very nice indeed, Ted!!!

Makes me wonder how the former 'lunar' stereotype of Mars persisted after M6 & M7. Craters, sure, but certainly some pretty broad hints of far more diverse landforms.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 5 2008, 04:18 AM
Post #3

A lot of the terrain was referred to as "chaotic terrain." They realized there was something else there, but they couldn't figure out what.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Aug 5 2008, 04:51 AM
Post #4

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Most of what was named "chaotic terrain" ended up being large areas that seem to have had groundwater sapped out from under them. Most all of these landforms are at the heads of the catastrophic flood channels. It's consistent with large masses of groundwater being suddenly released (possibly by the breaking of ice dams) -- the lands that covered the huge aquifers collapsed, and the lands downstream of the massive water release were scored and flattened by the floods, with characteristic teardrop-shaped "islands" being carved by water passing to the sides of areographic high points.

So, yeah -- they're not "exotic chaos features," they're understandable and recognizable (if very large) collapse features.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 5 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #5

Some were from sapping, but other "chaotic" areas were from sapping, but others, most notably in the poorer quality images, were channels that couldn't be fully interpreted.

Here is an example of what the images are like, using frame 6N3. In the left hand column, the top image is the analog transmission. The image below it is the real time digital transmission. The last image is the digital image recorded on the tape recorder. One in every seven columns was recorded on the tape recorder, while one in 28 columns was transmitted in real time. The real time set is useful in that it fills in the jail-bar that was not recorded on the digital tape recorder. In the right hand column, the top image is the combined version created by the project. The lower one is my version. The after image clearly visible is frame 6N1. When I subtracted my reconstructed version of that frame, it helped alot. For the record, in attempting to quasi-flat field the image, the dark spot visible in the project images but not in mine to the left of center of the frame was removed (it is a camera defect that appears in every image).

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 8 2008, 07:16 PM
Post #6

Here are the first mosaics. There is no mosaic 2 because it is not complete.

Mosaic 1:

Attached Image

Mosaic 3:

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 8 2008, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

As usual, fantastic work, Ted. The Mariner 6 'mosaics 2 and 3' composite includes the Opportunity landing site - Ithaca crater is just visible as a dark spot. I'll try to post an annotated version later.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Aug 8 2008, 09:54 PM
Post #8

I replaced it with a better 8-bit conversion. I also fixed some defects that I hadn't noticed before.

--------------------

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Sep 19 2008, 08:30 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3233

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Aug 8 2008, 10:42 PM) *
As usual, fantastic work, Ted. The Mariner 6 'mosaics 2 and 3' composite includes the Opportunity landing site - Ithaca crater is just visible as a dark spot. I'll try to post an annotated version later.

Phil

Now that Opportunity is going to Ithaca/ Endeavour crater is there any chance of you posting the annotated version? If Endeavour crater is so large that it could be seen on a 1960s Mars fly by then Opportunity's view from Endeavour's rim is going to be truly spectacular.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Sep 19 2008, 09:19 PM
Post #10

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Sorry! I forgot.

Here is an excerpt from Ted's image with Endeavour (Ithaca) appearing as a dark spot. I also labelled the potential MSL site Miyamoto, now heavily downgraded in the voting.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
PaulM
post Sep 19 2008, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 3233

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Sep 19 2008, 10:19 PM) *
Sorry! I forgot.

Here is an excerpt from Ted's image with Endeavour (Ithaca) appearing as a dark spot. I also labelled the potential MSL site Miyamoto, now heavily downgraded in the voting.

Phil

Thanks a lot.

It looks like there are some even bigger craters to visit after Endeavour rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Sep 19 2008, 10:20 PM
Post #12

Administrator

Member No.: 454

Oh, my. That one went straight to the blog.

--Emily

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 19 2008, 10:49 PM
Post #13

Unfortunately, it is in one of the worst frames, but still, wow! Good find Phil!

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 14 2012, 01:58 AM
Post #14

This isn't exactly a mosaic, but I have been working with the Mariner 7 far encounter data again. You can read about it here. This is the best result I've gotten so far.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Feb 15 2012, 03:16 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Feb 14 2012, 02:58 AM) *
This isn't exactly a mosaic, but I have been working with the Mariner 7 far encounter data again. You can read about it here. This is the best result I've gotten so far.

...and this is also the "romantic" mysterious red planet of the 60's, we were all dreaming about when we were young. Beautiful ! Thanks a lot Tedstryk smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:33 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.