IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Dust Storm
sranderson
post Oct 18 2005, 05:47 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 386

Spaceweather (www.spaceweather.com) is reporting a dust storm on Mars visible in amateur telescopes. Hope we don't get too much dust-fall on the solar panels.... unsure.gif

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Start new topic
Replies (120 - 122)
Phil Stooke
post Nov 21 2005, 02:28 PM
Post #121

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I'm not as sceptical as the other Doug (in this case anyway). The broad dark bands don't look at all like wind tails or compression artifacts to me. The fact that they seem different between images doesn't mean anything, as these are two different images from different dates, so changes would be quite reasonable. The very narrow dark bands are the anatolia-style linear depressions. The Gusev streaks are curlier but that might be related to the topographic differences between sites.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
RNeuhaus
post Nov 21 2005, 03:28 PM
Post #122

Member No.: 385

I think that the differences between the Dust Devil and Wind Streak are of its traces. The DD *never* trace a stright line since it is subjected by the convencion of two different temperatures between the surface and the atmosphere which are very dynamic. Otherwise, the Wind Streak is of a constant or prominent wind and its force changes the color of surface in stright lines due to different kind of sand or dust on the surface. Then the typical atmospheric phenomenas: DD-> Gusev, SW -> Meridiani

Rodolfo

+Quote Post
Bill Harris
post Nov 21 2005, 04:44 PM
Post #123

Member No.: 105

Admittedly, some streaks are jpg artifacts and wind tails but more of the dark tracks do curve and show characteristics of whirlwinds or dust devils. I suspect that the differences between here and at Gusev are caused by higher windspeeds on this flat plain and by the less-dusty armored surface.

The images do show the narrow anatolia lineations well. Phil's recent polar pans shown here do suggest that the "micro craters" seen Erebus-ward are indeed caused by sapping and not impact; I seen crater chains in this region.

--Bill

--------------------

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 07:47 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.