IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
WCL (Wet Chemistry Lab) sample
pH of Martian Soils
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 115
Guests cannot vote 
Ipparchus
post Jul 7 2008, 07:35 AM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 4055

Irrelevant and full in line quote of last post removed.

Did they deliver at the weekend a sample to the optical microscope or to the Wet Chemistry Laboratory? if not,when do they plan to do this?

--------------------
"It`s one small step for a man. A giant leap for all mankind!" Armstrong, Apollo 11, 1969.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jul 7 2008, 01:13 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 63

There is a dark image here, but by adjusting brightness and contrast, I think I can just see some material in the 2nd WCL cell:
http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_10401.jpg

I guess the RAC view is better :-)

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/images/gallery/lg_10339.jpg

There seems to be some stuff at least on the side of the collector, but I wonder if it's enough.

I presume this is from the soil/ice interface layer?

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
bergadder
post Jul 8 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #63

Member No.: 432

"
July 7, 2008 -- NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander used its Robotic Arm to deliver a second sample of soil for analysis by the spacecraft's wet chemistry laboratory, data received from Phoenix on Sunday night confirmed. "

http://phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu/07_07_pr.php

+Quote Post
TheChemist
post Jul 13 2008, 10:20 AM
Post #64

Member No.: 112

Some tidbits from the July 1st entry of Dr Tom Pike's diary for the BBC News website :
"In particular, if the soil is alkaline this may go a long way to explaining the Viking experiment. Fifteen years ago, one of my Phoenix colleagues, Richard Quinn, worked out that just such a soil would explain the Viking results."

and
"The data streams down, filing up our computer screens with scans from all the sensors. There's a quiet smile on Richard's face as he concentrates on just one of these lines - the soil is just about as alkaline as he expected.

It looks like one of the biggest mysteries from previous missions to Mars has been cracked by Phoenix. It was the chemical reactions of nutrients with the chemistry of the soil, not life, that Viking saw back in 1976. "

Before touchdown, Dr. Quinn was quoted in an article at the SETI site :
When asked, "What would be the best possible outcome from these experiments?" Quinn replied, "A sample with high salt content and reasonable ph which would reveal a history of water, coupled with results from the Thermal Evolved Gas Analyzer that found organics in the soil." Then, you'd have both water and organics. Perhaps evidence of life?

So, blink.gif
If the alkaline pH supports the "superoxides in soil" Viking explanation, why were teran gardeners encouraged to have high hopes for martian asparagus ? Anyone care to enlighten us ?

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Jul 13 2008, 01:28 PM
Post #65

Member No.: 1563

I'd guess that the alkaline soil is one piece of evidence in favour of the superoxide idea, but there are a lot more to be found before it's proven- such as the superoxides themselves! Over simplified reporting, although i may be judging prematurely, having not read the thing..

Edit: now I've read it I think its less oversimplification, more two tentative interpretations on preliminary results, as always more data needed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
gallen_53
post Jul 13 2008, 08:59 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 24

QUOTE (TheChemist @ Jul 13 2008, 11:20 AM) *
If the alkaline pH supports the "superoxides in soil" Viking explanation, why were teran gardeners encouraged to have high hopes for martian asparagus ? Anyone care to enlighten us ?

Perhaps because it's easier to sell a Mars program as a "search for life" rather than as a "search for superoxides"?

+Quote Post
Shaka
post Jul 14 2008, 06:56 AM
Post #67

Member No.: 618

Unless you show that the latter "get your laundry superbright!! "
rolleyes.gif

sad.gif It's tough waiting for data.

--------------------
My Grandpa goes to Mars every day and all I get are these lousy T-shirts!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:32 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.