Closed TopicStart new topic
When Phoenix Lands..
tedstryk
post Jan 24 2006, 06:05 PM
Post #1

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I have been wondering about something....given the performance of the MERs, if one or both survive this winter, is it not conceivable that they could be operational when Phoenix lands? It would, I believe, be the first landing on anything but the moon with other landers (other than parts of the same mission) still operational.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
akuo
post Jan 24 2006, 06:12 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 63

Um, Viking? rolleyes.gif

Well ok, they are the same mission. It would speak a lot about the longevity of MERs.

--------------------
Antti Kuosmanen

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 24 2006, 08:53 PM
Post #3

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

I think there's some potential for functional, if not 'mobile' Rovers come '07. I certianly think they'll last thru to MRO's science orbit, and as such could do simultanious observations out and into the atmosphere.

But that's a long way away, and a hell of a lot could go wrong between then and now, I wouldnt put money on it, but I wouldnt be suprised.

Doug

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 24 2006, 09:39 PM
Post #4

QUOTE (akuo @ Jan 24 2006, 06:12 PM)
Um, Viking?  rolleyes.gif

Well ok, they are the same mission. It would speak a lot about the longevity of MERs.

If we are going to go the same mission route, Opportunity would be from the same mission as Spirit as well. But I was thinking about not-twin missions.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 24 2006, 10:09 PM
Post #5

Guests

Well, you know, we're within two months of having four working and scientifically productive (and non-redundant) Mars orbiters simultaneously. I think that's quite impressive enough.

+Quote Post
hendric
post Jan 24 2006, 10:28 PM
Post #6

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Jan 24 2006, 03:39 PM)
But I was thinking about not-twin missions.

This raised an interesting question: What's the success rate of twin missions vs one-shot?

Viking 1/2
Pioneer 10/11
Voyager 1/2
MER A/B
Mariner 1/2 (1 was destroyed during liftoff, so doesn't count)
Mariner 3/4/5 (3 was a shroud failure, so doesn't count)
Mariner 6/7

It's an interesting comparison, anyways.

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jan 24 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #7

QUOTE (hendric @ Jan 24 2006, 10:28 PM)
This raised an interesting question:  What's the success rate of twin missions vs one-shot?

Viking 1/2
Pioneer 10/11
Voyager 1/2
MER A/B
Mariner 1/2 (1 was destroyed during liftoff, so doesn't count)
Mariner 3/4/5 (3 was a shroud failure, so doesn't count)
Mariner 6/7

It's an interesting comparison, anyways.

Don't forget that Mariner 8/9 fit the same pattern, as Mariner 8 was a launch failure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jan 26 2006, 06:44 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 132

If still alive, I wonder if one of the rovers could see the entry fireball of Phoenix. It would be a great way of calibrating the images of possible meteors seen by the MERs.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 26 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #9

Founder

I doubt it - Phoenix's landing site is going to be a long long way from the rovers. It'd be like trying to see the Stardust re-entry from Cuba.

Doug

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 26 2006, 01:17 PM
Post #10

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 26 2006, 11:13 AM)
I doubt it - Phoenix's landing site is going to be a long long way from the rovers.  It'd be like trying to see the Stardust re-entry from Cuba.

Doug

Yep - if we assume that the potentially visible entry stage begins at around 120km altitude it will only be visible within a zone that spans at most +-15deg from the re-entry track. Since Phoenix is going to land at ~70deg N any martian surface observer would have to be norrth of around 55deg to have any chance of seing it.

I think that even if you adjust for obliquity and the fact that it's approaching mid summer at landing time the lowest latitude you could possible see anything from would be ~32 deg N in the very unlikely event that the initial atmospheric entry happens at local midnight. I might be wrong in my assumptions on this one but I suspect that if even if I am the reality would be even less favourable.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 26 2006, 01:30 PM
Post #11

Founder

Remember - Mars is much smaller than earth, so the horizon is much closer as well, if the exact path of Stardust were replicated on Earth, those lines showing visibility at specific elevations would be much much closer to the entry track

Doug

+Quote Post
helvick
post Jan 26 2006, 01:53 PM
Post #12

Dublin Correspondent

Member No.: 220

QUOTE (djellison @ Jan 26 2006, 02:30 PM)
Remember - Mars is much smaller than earth, so the horizon is much closer as well, if the exact path of Stardust were replicated on Earth, those lines showing visibility at specific elevations would be much much closer to the entry track

Doug

Doug - I based those numbers on calculating horizon distances with a Martian radius (3397km), 1deg ~ 59km.

The 120km altitude is just a pure guess - I'm assuming that "entry" starts somewhere around there but I don't know for sure where it would actually happen.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Jan 26 2006, 02:04 PM
Post #13

Founder

Can't remember off hand, but on the EDL live coverage, Wayne Lee mentions that atmospheric entry occured fairly high, but deceleration didnt occur for about another minute or so, and I'd only expect to be able to see a plasma trail etc after deceleration starts to occur. perhaps 75km?

Looking at this
http://atmos.nmsu.edu/PDS/data/mpam_0001/edl_ddr/edl_ddr.tab
and this
http://atmos.nmsu.edu/PDS/data/mpam_0001/e...dr/r_eacc_s.tab

The peak decel was at 30 - 40km

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_BruceMoomaw_*
post Jan 26 2006, 11:11 PM
Post #14

Guests

In this connection, Pioneer 12's imaging photopolarimeter was actually used to try and photograph the firing of Magellan's orbital insertion motor, but saw nothing. A pity.

+Quote Post
Guest_AlexBlackwell_*
post Jan 26 2006, 11:31 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE (BruceMoomaw @ Jan 26 2006, 11:11 PM)
In this connection, Pioneer 12's imaging photopolarimeter was actually used to try and photograph the firing of Magellan's orbital insertion motor, but saw nothing.  A pity.

IIRC, wasn't there also an effort by HST to image the Galileo Probe entry? I also remember (dimly) some talk about doing the same thing for the orbital insertion burns of MGS and/or MCO.

+Quote Post

19 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 06:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.