4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Discovery 2012
punkboi
post Aug 20 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 535

If InSIGHT's selection is true, then I'm glad that JPL's EDL team will have a reason to eat peanuts again in 2016...though I REALLY wanted to see a spacecraft float in an extraterrestrial lake. Oh well. smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 20 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (punkboi @ Aug 20 2012, 09:15 PM) *
I REALLY wanted to see a spacecraft float in an extraterrestrial lake. Oh well. smile.gif

ditto. CHopper was cool too!

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Aug 20 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 127

I think it is pretty tough to argue with this selection. It's an instrument package that we've needed to send for a long time and it's got a well-defined risk profile.

Additional Thoughts:
I think this is a really important mission. Between it and Curiosity, we'll really be at an inflection point in Mars exploration strategy by 2018/20 or so, with prety good data confirming one of four big picture views of the planet:

1) Wet Mars and live internal heat/movement;
2) Wet Mars and no current internal heat/movement;
3) Dry Mars and live internal heat/movement; and
4) Dry Mars and no current internal heat/movement.

The relative value of a major effort like MSR compared to other solar system exploration priorities really depends on which of these four broad stroke pictures ends up being closest to the truth.

+Quote Post
claurel
post Aug 20 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 514

I have no reason to doubt that NASA made the right choice based on considerations of risk and scientific value. But I'd really been hoping that we'd get a glimpse of Titan's seas; I can't help feeling massively disappointed, even though InSight is an exciting mission. The long travel times and stubbornly slow orbital motions sure make it rough to be a fan of exploration of the Outer planets. And calculating my age at the time of the next opportunity for a TiME-like mission was the wrong approach to softening this blow...

--Chris

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Aug 20 2012, 09:04 PM
Post #35

Member No.: 1004

just wondering what science objectives can be accomplished by a single-spacecraft network. I understand that some data is better than no data at all, but still...
BTW with a bit of luck (and taxpayer money) there mayl be three new spacecraft on the surface of Mars in 2016:
InSIGHT, the short-lived ExoMars EDL demonstrator and possibly also a similar Chinese craft (see http://www.stfc.ac.uk/RALSpace/resources/P...MarsProbes.pdf).
And of course Curiosity (and why not Opportunity) will still be operational

+Quote Post
Drkskywxlt
post Aug 20 2012, 09:25 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 1083

Hmm...sounds like confidence in cost estimates was a key factor in Insight's selection. Insight came in a bit below the cap.

+Quote Post
gpurcell
post Aug 20 2012, 09:34 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Drkskywxlt @ Aug 20 2012, 04:25 PM) *
Hmm...sounds like confidence in cost estimates was a key factor in Insight's selection. Insight came in a bit below the cap.

Yep. No more DAWNs.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 20 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #38

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

<MOD MODE>

Very much appreciate the civility in this discussion so far, but just want to make sure that everyone keeps the Rules and Guidelines firmly in mind as it progresses. Thanks!

</MOD>

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 20 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #39

Member No.: 5221

My only wish is for color cameras; from the looks of this video they'll be essentially navcam/hazcam types, great for engineering but still black/white.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSTYvwodKO0...player_embedded

Any idea for the landing site or when it will be selected? I'm assuming near a volcanic region...

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Aug 20 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 351

QUOTE (Paolo @ Aug 20 2012, 02:04 PM) *
just wondering what science objectives can be accomplished by a single-spacecraft network.

There's some information in this presentation from 2009. A presentation to the Decadal Survey Mars panel showed considerable work in trying to get the most from a single station. Unfortunately, the Decadal Survey link is gone, but I can send a copy to anyone who emails me. I wrote summaries of the tactics at my blog here and here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Aug 21 2012, 12:41 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Explorer1 @ Aug 20 2012, 04:48 PM) *
My only wish is for color cameras...

MSSS could provide a range of color cameras for very low mass. http://www.msss.com/space-cameras/ More information on request.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 21 2012, 12:49 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 5221

That's assuming it's not too late to make a minor payload adjustment, is it? The payoff will certainly be worth it, even for a Phoenix-style landing site.

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 21 2012, 12:56 AM
Post #43

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

There's a pair of nearly finished MastCam's - one could find a lovely home on that arm. I really hope they can find the $ to do it.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 21 2012, 01:01 AM
Post #44

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

What kind of $ would it cost?

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Aug 21 2012, 01:08 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 351

A MastCam is more affordable than my dream, flying Sojourner's twin rover which is somewhere in JPL storage. The original proposal for the never flown 2001 lander would have flown this rover on a Phoenix/Insight-class lander. Oh, well, Curiosity will likely still be roving in 2016 and who knows, Opportunity might still be plugging along.

--------------------

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:05 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.