Reply to this topicStart new topic
Moon Images
Ian R
post Jun 27 2007, 04:16 PM
Post #31

Lord Of The Uranian Rings

Group: Members
Member No.: 437

All of the following polar projections were generated using the cylindrical maps created by Steve Albers (unless otherwise credited):

MIRANDA (southern hemisphere) (JPL):

Attached Image

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 27 2007, 04:19 PM
Post #32

ARIEL (southern hemisphere):

Attached Image

TITANIA (southern hemisphere):

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 27 2007, 04:22 PM
Post #33

UMBRIEL (southern hemipshere) (Philip Stooke):

Attached Image

OBERON (southern hemipshere):

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 27 2007, 04:24 PM
Post #34

TRITON (southern hemipshere) (JPL / William Johnston / A. Tayfun Oner / Steve Albers):

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ian R
post Jun 27 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #35

TRITON (northern hemipshere) (JPL / William Johnston / A. Tayfun Oner / Steve Albers)

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jun 27 2007, 06:38 PM
Post #36

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 27 2007, 01:43 PM) *
Nice work, Ted.

It always amazes me how accurate a descriptor "cantaloupe terrain" is for Triton. I wonder if Triton is orange on the inside. smile.gif

--Emily

New mission proposal: Deep Impact, Triton. The mission will release a projectile equipped with a nuclear device powerful enough to break through the moon's rind, allowing the flyby craft to study the ripeness of the melon. biggrin.gif

By the way, here is a full resolution version of the last of the series.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Jun 27 2007, 07:08 PM
Post #37

Member No.: 15

No, no, no, Ted -- what we really need is Deep Rap - Triton, in which a huge *knuckle* is sent to Neptune's largest moon and used to rap on the rind. Extremely sensitive microphones aboard the flyby craft will then listen for the "exact right thunking sound" to determine the ripeness of the interior...

biggrin.gif

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
TritonAntares
post Jun 27 2007, 07:19 PM
Post #38

Member No.: 516

QUOTE (elakdawalla @ Jun 27 2007, 03:43 PM) *
It always amazes me how accurate a descriptor "cantaloupe terrain" is for Triton.
I wonder if Triton is orange on the inside. smile.gif

Not on the inside, but on the outside - at least partly.
Have a closer look at the left one of Ted's Triton pics. There's an orange area visible at the left upper limb.
Some far distance images show more of this orange tint, like this one:
Attached Image

Btw., marvelous work Ted... Attached Image

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Jun 27 2007, 07:58 PM
Post #39

QUOTE (TritonAntares @ Jun 27 2007, 07:19 PM) *
Not on the inside, but on the outside - at least partly.
Have a closer look at the left one of Ted's Triton pics. There's an orange area visible at the left upper limb.
Some far distance images show more of this orange tint, like this one:

Btw., marvelous work Ted...

The color seems to show up under low solar angles, although it is much less pronounced than in that image - Triton is rather whitish, really. It has all sorts of hues, but they are much more muted. Color exaggeration can be a good thing, but I have avoided it because the coverage I have here is so inconsistent that I am having enough trouble making the images seem remotely similar as it is.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 2 2007, 03:37 PM
Post #40

I have improved my Proteus set. I have always thought there were features in the "Bad Tooth" image. After reprocessing these images, there is clear correlation between them. The highest resolution image has a resolution of 1.35 km/pixel. For context, that is somewhat better than the best pictures of Ariel (2.4 km/pixel). However, it was so severely underexposed that it is usually blurred to hide the effects of underexposure, making it appear to be an enlarged but distant image.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
jasedm
post Nov 2 2007, 06:57 PM
Post #41

Member No.: 655

That's AMAZING Ted - I am ASTONISHED at the level of detail you've pulled out of the raws. What type of processing are you using here????

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Nov 2 2007, 08:30 PM
Post #42

I used Photoshop. After calibrating the images, I compiled the pixels of some of the empty space from the images in the vertical direction (minus rows that contained moire) and subtracted this from the image. I used several noise reduction methods so as to minimize the loss of detail. I also used a high pass filter to bring out detail, which I merged with other versions of the images so as to bring back the low frequency features. Here is my complete Proteus set (the image in the upper left corner is Larissa, and next to it is a crescent Nereid, but the rest are Proteus).

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 3 2007, 04:12 AM
Post #43

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

ohmy.gif Unbelievable, Ted. That's the first time I've ever seen a resolved image of Nereid...always wondered what it looked like. Thank you so much for this gift!!! smile.gif

Now I can visualize how the terrain around the Outsider's base looked when Speaker-To-Animals tried to steal the Long Shot from the Puppeteers... tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
ElkGroveDan
post Nov 3 2007, 04:21 AM
Post #44

Member No.: 197

That odd texture on Proteus has got me scratching my head. It's too distinct to be a processing artifact. Does anyone know if any other solar system body exhibits half-swirls and brush-stroke features like that?

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Nov 3 2007, 04:44 AM
Post #45

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Yeah, I noticed that too, Dan. (I was also struck by the apparent low cratering rate, but it seems logical that the inner Solar System was/is much more prone to this; Neptune's orbit may sweep out a lot more volume of space, but there's also probably been a lot less debris out there since well before the LHB.) However, I do recall seeing things like the "brush strokes" in other enhanced imagery of other objects, so my money's on image processing artifacts.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:36 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.