LAMO, aka Low Altitude Mapping Orbit
ElkGroveDan
post May 10 2012, 06:31 PM
Post #91

Group: Admin
Member No.: 197

Can we go now? I want to see Ceres.

--------------------
If Occam had heard my theory, things would be very different now.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post May 10 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #92

Group: Members
Member No.: 557

So, I guess I'll go ahead and hang on to my little diogenite samples. A bit more confidence in their source.

+Quote Post
DrShank
post May 10 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 1828

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 10 2012, 12:31 PM) *

No need to worry! staying longer at Vesta wont change our arrival time at Ceres.
p

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post May 10 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 150

Interesting conference, though I see less than a dozen people in the room (some of them appear annoyed too!)...

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
DrShank
post May 10 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #95

QUOTE (dilo @ May 10 2012, 12:56 PM) *
Interesting conference, though I see less than a dozen people in the room (some of them appear annoyed too!)...

a lot of reporters like to do this sort of thing remotely now. or simply call beofre or after. kinda weird talking to a half empty room sometimes . . .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post May 11 2012, 07:05 AM
Post #96

Member No.: 1004

QUOTE (ElkGroveDan @ May 10 2012, 08:31 PM) *

a quick remark on the conference: I noticed that the speakers pronounced Ceres as something like "series". the correct pronunciation should be something like "Che-reh-ss". it's Latin, it's not American-English!

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post May 11 2012, 12:44 PM
Post #97

Member No.: 132

It is interesting to know the correct Latin pronunciation but I don't think that makes the American-English pronunciation incorrect.

+Quote Post
charborob
post May 11 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #98

Member No.: 3908

FWIW, in French, we write "Cérès" and pronounce it "say-ress" (short "say" and stress on "ress").

Edit: In classical Latin, the letter "C" was pronounced "K", but I don't think anybody would want to pronounce "kay-ress".

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post May 11 2012, 03:40 PM
Post #99

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

QUOTE (dilo @ May 10 2012, 11:56 AM) *

I've noticed that conferences held at HQ are particularly poorly attended physically, though there are clearly quite a lot of people on the phone. I prefer following briefings on the phone because that way I can study the released images as I listen to the scientists talk about them. I think it's kind of a waste of both money and of busy people's time to fly all those people to HQ for briefings when they could conduct them perfectly well remotely.

Though this time I wasn't on the phone at all, as I was playing in the desert with rovers instead smile.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 24 2012, 01:25 AM
Post #100

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Dawn isn't in LAMO now, it's moved back upstairs, but there are still lots of great pics from lower down on the website. Today's image shows a crater with a shadow and detail in the shadow brought out by special processing. Here I have combined the two versions of their image.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
DrShank
post Jul 25 2012, 02:17 AM
Post #101

Phil is right,
we are now in HAMO2, looking at the north pole for the first time. we have also been looking at the shadowed areas since last! I hadnt realized we had not shown any of these yet! quite amusing that we can see into the shadows in this way. nice camera. i hope to show some more someday soon.
paul

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 26 2012, 05:57 AM
Post #102

Well, to be precise we aren't in HAMO2 anymore because, starting from yesterday, Dawn ignited engines and started the depart phase from Vesta...!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jul 26 2012, 03:41 PM
Post #103

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I'm looking forward to seeing some whole-frame images during the departure, a different view than we had during the approach.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 26 2012, 08:32 PM
Post #104

Based on simulated viewer and yesterday's Marc report, engines were ON for more than 24 hours and, as showed in the following plots, Dawn orbit is rapidly changing:
Attached Image

Last apoapsis was 776.5 km above Vesta surface, about 63 km above HAMO2 in last days... Total energy is clearly increasing too, however departure phase will last more than a month.
Meanwhile, starting from Phil idea, I made these compositions of last 3 posted images in the "revealing shadows" series:
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

(first one is in Oppia quadrangle and latter two inside Marcia quadrangle). Consider that, for shadowed region, besides the different hue I used negative image in order to have an illumination roughly coherent with illuminated part.

--------------------

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jul 29 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #105

Further update on escape maneuver:
Attached Image

Dawn is rapidly receding from HAMO orbit thanks to uninterrupted engine thrust; based on simulator figures, during last orbit there was an increase of apoapsis/periapsis heights of 57.9/59.3 km (a rising rate greather than 80 km/day); total energy/mass increased by 2.1 kJ/Kg in 4 days.

Added: same processing for the 5th image of "revealing shadows" series, in the Floronia quadrangle:
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:17 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.