Chang'e 3 second lunar day of operations
Phil Stooke
post Jan 17 2014, 03:47 PM
Post #16

Solar System Cartographer

Group: Members
Member No.: 227

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2014-01/17/c_126023483.htm

First astronomy data from the lander... I don't know anything about it.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmic Penguin
post Jan 18 2014, 07:36 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 6419

Finally the panorama from the lander's MastCam has been found in print form (although still not quite available in full resolution - that might take a while to be released), although it was released as seven distinct photos so here's the panorama stitched by NSF member OzWill:

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
UMSF - the place of Opportunity to satisfy your Spirit of Curiosity via Perseverance

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 18 2014, 07:53 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 5221

Fantastic! Apparently we shouldn't expect more color pictures from the lander, since the camera had no heater to survive the first lunar night (see Emily's blog post). If there's any gifs of the rover driving over the horizon they'll probably be b/w.
Next LROC imaging opportunity is Wednesday the 22nd; presumably the next chance to update the route map too.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jan 18 2014, 10:21 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 1004

the panorama appears to contain a number of artifacts. notice in particular the vertical dark strips. I was also wondering what are the two yellowish areas on both sides of the gold-wrapped tank just to the left of the first tracks of Yutu. reflections from the thermal protection? the tank itself appears to be cut toward the top...
BTW, this should really belong to the first day of operation thread

+Quote Post
kenny
post Jan 18 2014, 12:48 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 759

The mission control team has been re-organised in anticipation of a year of operations, they now say.

Chang'e new missions - Xinhua

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Jan 18 2014, 01:29 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 347

Yes, all the color images seem to be raws (if true they are quite good).
There are uncorrected gradients and some color areas at the left / right edges. And gamma/exposure seems to be way off.
The lunar surface is darker than that, but I understand that for media it may look better like this.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jan 18 2014, 06:56 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 6842

My Photosynth panorma, from the individual images at http://www.chinanews.com/tp/hd2011/2014/01-18/293067.shtml

--> http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=d9db94...30-43ec1a510dbc

And with auto-color correction in Photoshop:
http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=3ee991...f8-a605fcdecf78

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenny
post Jan 18 2014, 08:39 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 759

QUOTE (Paolo @ Jan 18 2014, 10:21 AM) *
I was also wondering what are the two yellowish areas on both sides of the gold-wrapped tank
just to the left of the first tracks of Yutu. reflections from the thermal protection? the tank itself appears to be cut toward the top...

I guess these are reflections off the 2 tanks, one yellow patch off each tank, but displaced to the left (westwards) on account of the sun angle. There were other bright
reflections on the ground underneath Yutu's panels in several of the detailed rover pics.

Yes, I agree the top of the left tank is cut off and the tubing crudely pasted on. To the left of that tank, part of one rock appears twice, so the pan in that area is a bit rough.
But a lovely scene overall, and a nice view of the pyramid rock on the edge of the big crater, which Yutu is now approaching.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 18 2014, 11:08 PM
Post #24

Re: the cut-off tank.

The pan is 3 tiers of images high (and I don't know how many images long), but as the camera tilts to take each tier there will be a mismatch between the foreground (spacecraft components) and the background (lunar surface). When the images are pasted together you have a choice, align the spacecraft components or align the lunar surface components. You can't do both without very ingenious Curiosity MAHLI-self-portrait-style calisthenics. MAHLI could do it because it could be moved, this camera can't because it's fixed.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
wildespace
post Jan 19 2014, 09:44 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 6842

The south-facing part of the lander panorama, with a boxed area indicating the field of view taken by a photo of Yutu we've seen earlier:
Attached Image
Attached Image

(Source for second image: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/20...33036156_10.htm )

Looks like the lander's panoramic camera had a good zoom. Shame the camera is no longer functional after the cold lunar night, or we could have gotten a more detailed panorama, or individual images, from the lander sad.gif

[Edit] Andrew Bodrov has created this amazing 360-degree panorama at http://www.360cities.net/image/lunar-panor...change-3-lander
Even the Earth, snapped by Chang'e 3 on a separate occasion, is there. ;-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 23 2014, 02:32 PM
Post #26

That's not a zoom, I think the full panorama did have that resolution everywhere.

Sun sets on the 25th. I am hoping we will get a summary of the activities during this lunar day soon, and we should also have another LRO image to look forward to.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmic Penguin
post Jan 24 2014, 03:23 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 6419

Oh well the lander and rover are still alive and working - in fact late on January 22 (UTC) the rover performed direct data exchange to the lander via UHF - the first time two Chinese spacecraft communicate to each other on another planetary body. wink.gif

Source

--------------------
UMSF - the place of Opportunity to satisfy your Spirit of Curiosity via Perseverance

+Quote Post
Liss
post Jan 24 2014, 07:33 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 439

QUOTE (Cosmic Penguin @ Jan 24 2014, 07:23 AM) *
Oh well the lander and rover are still alive and working - in fact late on January 22 (UTC) the rover performed direct data exchange to the lander via UHF...

Source

From the distance of 24 meters, is it correct?

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 24 2014, 12:49 PM
Post #29

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

UHF is line-of-sight only, so when/if Yutu goes over the horizon with respect to the lander that channel's gone. I forget how close that is (it's too early and I'm too lazy to do the math), but I wonder if that will restrict the radius of operations of the rover.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
SpaceListener
post Jan 24 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 3299

About the Range of radio UHF

- Handheld radios generally will talk "radio-to-radio", "line-of-sight" up to 2 miles (3.2 kilometers). Once you start putting obstacles in between the radios you will shorten your range. Even the body fluid of the person wearing the radio on their hip will absorb some of the range. Higher wattage radios will have a slight increase in range and a significant increase in clarity of transmission on the outer fringes of your range.

- Mobile radios, such as those mounted in vehicles, will generally talk "radio-to-radio" 8-10 miles depending upon the obstacles and the terrain.

- Base stations will generally talk approx. 8-12 miles. Contrary to popular belief wattage does not determine distance. Antenna height and placement determines distance.

So the Yutu rover won't go so far from the station. So now we already know which interesting places that Yutu's rover can visit, so this is a good point cool.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:22 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.