12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
Where will you be..., When Phoenix lands
dvandorn
post May 22 2008, 04:08 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

Drat -- I've enjoyed the live chat function here when we've followed things like shuttle launches, Ariane launches, planetary probe launches... I was hoping we could do the same thing this weekend.

Any way the function might be active by then?

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
climber
post May 22 2008, 04:25 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 682

I've got a flight on monday at 7am which is about 5 hours after landing. I'll have to leave home 3 hours after landing, hopefully after the first image(s) are down.
So, here is what I'm trying to do.
I've started since this week-end to go to bed earlier each day so I hope to be able to wake up 3 hours before landing after a decent sleep. I'll sleep again during transportation and hopefully not too much during my one week meeting!
I'll be home watching the landing using as many links as possible, UMSF & Nasa-TV & Emily's blog from the web been the 3 priorities, and YES, Rui, I'll watch SpacEurope too wink.gif
Nice pressure feelings are building up here smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kwan3217
post May 22 2008, 04:50 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 477

Same place I was when Opportunity landed, the Denver Museum of Nature and Science. It's much more fun to do one of these events with many people around.

+Quote Post
DDAVIS
post May 22 2008, 05:26 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 10

I will be at JPL, assuming the role of a journalist. I have been there for every Mars landing except Viking 2.

Don

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 22 2008, 07:19 AM
Post #20

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (mike @ May 22 2008, 03:21 AM) *
Does the Live Chat link work?

No. We had it for a while, but it was essentially, crap and rather unreliable and rather expensive. I'd suggest #space on irc.freenode. I wont have the time to monitor a chat room as well as everything else - someone else can do it smile.gif

Doug

+Quote Post
remcook
post May 22 2008, 09:29 AM
Post #21

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

I too will probably be sleeping.... unsure.gif Need my sleep! Will try and wake up early though to catch up on UMSF.

+Quote Post
Tesheiner
post May 22 2008, 09:47 AM
Post #22

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

As I said here, I will be zzzzzzzzz and will follow the whole EDL not in ERT (Earth Received Time) or SET (Spacecraft Event Time) but in LMABT (Late Morning After Breakfast Time).

+Quote Post
Skyrunner
post May 22 2008, 11:01 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 3683

I'll be at home eating peanuts until 6 am (western Europe) watching NTV and the websites posted here. It's gonna be an allnighter biggrin.gif

--------------------
Error: Life.sys corrupted
( R )eflect, ( R )epend, or ( R )eboot?

+Quote Post
imipak
post May 22 2008, 12:06 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 617

Thinking ahead about how it'll be here on UMSF - will there be a single main EDL topic so I can keep refreshing the same page? Shame about the lack of chat, IRC it is then. Hmmm... I'm gonna need a bigger monitor!

Incidentally I hacked up an ugly scrap of perl to drop the current landing countdown in my mail sigs, and a version that does a running on-screen (well, in-terminal) countdown - PM me if anyone'd like the source.

CODE
$ ./edl.pl
Phoenix lands in: 3 days, 11:53:19
^c

I'm following the excellent example of nprev regarding beer (Old Hooky for me... REAL beer!) and peanuts - I'm wondering about shelling out for a proper Monte Cristo and possibly a half-bottle of something fizzy and French as well... I don't want to tempt the ghoul, but I'm sure a noodly appendage will stretch forth unto Mars and poke it in the eye. Did someone say something about "excitement"? I'll get excited once we have an image of successful panel and arm deployment; until then it's just - "ph33r"...

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
nprev
post May 22 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #25

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Right on, IM! smile.gif (BTW, I do believe that you are the first person in the world to use the phrase "excellent example" with respect to any aspect of my behavior... tongue.gif )

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
MahFL
post May 22 2008, 12:14 PM
Post #26

Forum Contributor

Member No.: 11

I will be watching on the PC at home as we don't have nasa TV on cable.

+Quote Post
Pertinax
post May 22 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #27

Member No.: 181

Having no cable (choice, not geography), as soon as the four wee ones are trundled off to bed (thinking we may go for short or no naps Sunday to help getting to bed by ~7PM EDT) I'll be glued to all the usual internet sites and praying that the NASA TV streams remain usable!

Thankfully my wife is just enough of a nerd to understand my love of mars and spaceflight wink.gif that I don't anticipate toooo many sideways looks! smile.gif

-- Pertinax

+Quote Post
Stu
post May 22 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #28

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

QUOTE (imipak @ May 22 2008, 01:06 PM) *
Thinking ahead about how it'll be here on UMSF - will there be a single main EDL topic so I can keep refreshing the same page?

Good idea, or things are going to get very messy and muxed up. How about starting a dedicated EDL thread when NASA TV coverage actually starts, so we're all chatting in the same place?

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post May 22 2008, 03:30 PM
Post #29

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Agreed. I will start a thread closer to the time.

An EDL thread
and then a new First comms pass thread as well.

Doug

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post May 22 2008, 04:50 PM
Post #30

Member No.: 15

Not to try and offend any tea-totallers or professionally sober members we may have, but Nick's discussion of beer leads me to think of how I may use The Brew this Sunday.

I happen to have three-quarters of a case of Foster's in my kitchen. Assuming Phoenix lands safely, I will likely have one or two in celebration (and to wash down my peanuts). If it's not as good of a day as we all hope, I'll probably have several of them to savor the numbing effect...

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post

12 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:48 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.