Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
JPL Solar System Ambassadors Program
Juramike
post Aug 18 2013, 05:50 PM
Post #1

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 1345

The JPL Solar System Ambassadors Program is going to be seeking an additional 100 volunteers this year. If you are a fan of planetary exploration and would like to share your knowledge to others in your community and beyond, this is a great opportunity. You will be able to attend SSA-only presentations given by mission managers and planetary scientists. This is the most "inside" peek for the ultimate space fanboy experience. And then you get to take that information communicate it to the public by giving presentations to schools, museums, libraries, and community groups.

If you know anyone who is enthusiastic about planetary exploration and wants to do educational outreach, please let them know about the upcoming announcement of opportunity for new volunteers that will come out on September 1.

They are especially interested in finding volunteers for: Alaska, Delaware, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming,District of Columbia

(I was a former volunteer before I turned "pro" and found this program to be absolutely fantastic. There are several UMSF members who are SSA's - I found out about the program through UMSF).

Full details on the program are here: http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/

And a secret message for mission managers and professional scientists: these are the guys who will leverage your exposure and do everything in their power to bring your discoveries to schools, museums, libraries and community groups. Find ways to use them in your program!

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 18 2013, 05:57 PM
Post #2

<text of letter from Kay Ferrari - Coordinator of the program follows>

Solar System Ambassadors Program Accepting Applications

The NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory Solar System Ambassadors Program (SSA), a nationwide network of space enthusiast volunteers, will accept applications from September 1 through September 30, 2013.

Highly motivated individuals will be given the opportunity to represent NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory as volunteer Solar System Ambassadors to the public for a one-year, renewable term beginning January 1, 2014.

While applications will be sought nationwide, interested parties from the following states are especially encouraged to apply: Alaska, Delaware, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Oklahoma, South Dakota, West Virginia, Wyoming and the District of Columbia. SSA hopes to add 100 new volunteers to the program in 2014.

To learn more about the Solar System Ambassador Program, visit http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/ambassador/. The Announcement of Opportunity and application form will be available on that website beginning September 1.

If you have questions about this opportunity, contact Kay Ferrari, SSA Coordinator, by email at ambassad@jpl.nasa.gov.

--------------------
Some higher resolution images available at my photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31678681@N07/

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 20 2013, 08:36 PM
Post #3

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Definitely on my to-do list once I retire. Montana, huh? wink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Juramike
post Aug 20 2013, 10:54 PM
Post #4

Maybe they need people because it is so MT up there?

--------------------

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 23 2013, 12:55 AM
Post #5

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

That's it, Mike; you're exiled from the planet. Put on the suit, grab your rations... tongue.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:42 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.