Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 347

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Attached Image

Here are some reprocessed P11 images of Saturn. I've used parts of different images to complete the missing ring edges on some images.

The image for 1979-09-01 is a mosaic of several images obtained that day, and suffers from changes in the spacecraft viewing angle.

I've made an effort to colect all the images and information avaliable on the net, but not much is avaliable with correct dates and satellite identification and I might have got some things wrong smile.gif

When I have the time, I'll post some more Pioneer reprocessed images biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
edstrick
post Feb 17 2007, 08:53 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 174

The real problem with the Pioneer images at Saturn is that they don't show much. Data rates were low and dropping as Saturn was days from solar conjunction, so close-in pics were narrower than at Jupiter. Worse, light levels were much lower than at Jupiter and the Pioneer spin-scan camera couldn't take longer exposures, so the data's noisier. And Saturn is so much blander than Jupiter, almost no cloud features show other than the belts. What they show that's new is the high phase view and the unlit side of the rings, and that's about it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 4 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Here is another mosaic. This one shows Mimas below the rings and its shadow above the rings.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GregM
post Sep 7 2007, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 175

+Quote Post
JRehling
post Sep 7 2007, 04:50 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 321

QUOTE (GregM @ Sep 7 2007, 09:26 AM) *
Very nice. It looks to be free of the geometric distortions from the spin-scan. Colour looks very "realistic" as well. I think that this is a definate improvement over the "old" P-11 Saturn images.

It really does look suddenly Voyagerish in quality.

Of course, like those audiophiles who claim to prefer vinyl, I have such nostalgia for Pioneer 11 that I *like* the grainy images. *grumble* *grumble*

Just kidding -- keep on truckin', Ted.

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 10 2007, 05:36 PM
Post #6

There are three reasons to collect and reprocess old planetary images. One is to pull out new scientific information and to create a baseline for studies of temporal phenomena. The other two are what most of us here are involved in.

One is what I spend most of my time on - compared to the billions of photographs from different time periods and places that we have of Earth, both from the ground and space, we have relatively few of other worlds - even Mars pales in comparison. We have earthbased telescopic views, but until webcams and adaptive optics came along, it was impossible to take a planetary picture that didn't look blury when reproduced at a decent size except with excellent equiptment on a rare night. Of the images we do have, we only tend to see a small selection, perhaps those pulled out of the pile for "instant science" during a flyby, or those selected for use in the post-mission articles in Science or Icarus. The Voyager and Viking missions, for example, captured a plethora of beautiful shots that rarely see the light of day. In addition, the views we see are often impacted by outdated processing techniques (which sometimes goes as far as mosaics made of prints glued or taped together) as well as generational loss from scans made from scans made from scans, etc. Then there is data that was not recorded and or stored in digital form, and that was taken by crude imaging systems. With the processing techniques available at the time, even if science data could be gleaned, pretty pictures were out of the question. With Pioneer 11, my goal is to get beyond the limits of the Imaging Photopolarimiter and create nice looking (if small) photographs showing what Saturn looked like in September 1979, or what Jupiter looked like in 1973 and 4.

However, that brings me to the third reason - the preservation of history. When images that I have processed, such as my Phobos-2 and Mars-3 work, as well as those of others (4th rock and Phil Stooke come to mind), we create far nicer views that the scientists were able to produce at the time of the mission. So even if I can make a Pioneer image look Voyager-ish in quality, while I might have created a better depiction of Saturn, it is no longer a record of what the scientists (as well as the public) were viewing at or around the time. Pre-Apollo, we didn't have views of the lunar surface as nice and unobstructed as Phil Stooke's panoramas - they were covered in mosaic lines and light and dark areas of the vidicon. Therefore, the earier versions of these images still hold great value - it is these images that show us our best view of neigboring worlds in the mid '60s (Surveyor) or 1979 (Pioneer). However, if we want an idea of what we might have seen standing near Tycho on the lunar surface or hurtling towards Saturn, the enhanced versions are better.

I share nostalgia for the old Surveyor, Mariner, Pioneer, Voyager, and Viking (I could make this list longer - you get the idea) - they were my initial tour of the solar system. Of course, I am not a techie - There is something organic about things that are not digital that I like.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 16 2007, 09:29 PM
Post #7

Here is an approach sequence. The closest shot is actually a mosaic of the best images from close encounter.

Ted

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- 4th rock from the sun   Pioneer 11 Saturn   Apr 10 2006, 07:03 PM
- - Ian R   Great work! This has to be my favourite vi...   Apr 10 2006, 09:13 PM
|- - 4th rock from the sun   QUOTE (Ian R @ Apr 10 2006, 10:13 PM) Gre...   Apr 10 2006, 10:14 PM
|- - tedstryk   Here is a similar view, from part of frame F6, whi...   Apr 11 2006, 01:45 AM
|- - J.J.   Great work, all.   Apr 26 2006, 05:36 AM
- - tedstryk   Looking good!   Apr 10 2006, 09:17 PM
- - GregM   .   May 5 2006, 03:11 AM
|- - tedstryk   QUOTE (GregM @ May 5 2006, 03:11 AM) Been...   May 6 2006, 10:27 PM
|- - 4th rock from the sun   QUOTE (GregM @ May 5 2006, 04:11 AM) Been...   May 7 2006, 11:21 AM
|- - Bob Shaw   QUOTE (GregM @ May 5 2006, 04:11 AM) Been...   May 7 2006, 04:46 PM
|- - tedstryk   I have updated my site with a Pioneer 11 page. It...   Feb 16 2007, 03:51 AM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (tedstryk @ Feb 15 2007, 07:51 PM) ...   Feb 16 2007, 04:16 AM
- - PhilCo126   Great to see some of those 30-year old images bein...   May 6 2006, 08:21 PM
- - nprev   Good memories of just before 1 Sept 1979, Ted...th...   Feb 16 2007, 04:41 AM
- - dvandorn   I also remember Pioneer 11's Saturn flyby quit...   Feb 16 2007, 05:46 AM
- - mchan   My memories were of watchng raw images come down o...   Feb 16 2007, 06:07 AM
- - 4th rock from the sun   Ted, Nice processing, I like your versions, very ...   Feb 16 2007, 11:13 AM
|- - tedstryk   Thanks. 4th rock, your versions are very good as w...   Feb 16 2007, 11:44 AM
- - edstrick   The real problem with the Pioneer images at Saturn...   Feb 17 2007, 08:53 AM
|- - tedstryk   Here is another mosaic. This one shows Mimas belo...   Sep 4 2007, 11:21 AM
|- - GregM   .   Sep 7 2007, 04:26 PM
|- - JRehling   QUOTE (GregM @ Sep 7 2007, 09:26 AM) Very...   Sep 7 2007, 04:50 PM
|- - tedstryk   There are three reasons to collect and reprocess o...   Sep 10 2007, 05:36 PM
|- - tedstryk   Here is an approach sequence. The closest shot is...   Sep 16 2007, 09:29 PM
- - Dominik   WOW A really great picture from such old data...   Sep 16 2007, 09:51 PM
- - ugordan   Indeed. Outstanding work, Ted!   Sep 16 2007, 10:25 PM
- - GregM   .   Sep 17 2007, 12:40 AM
- - tedstryk   I don't think they can stand much enlargement....   Sep 17 2007, 02:54 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:57 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.