Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pioneer spacecraft hardware - TRW
Dominik
post Aug 3 2008, 11:13 AM
Post #16

Group: Members
Member No.: 484

Hello,

the only picture I've found about the thrusters of Pioneer, is located in this picture:

It's only some art picture but the thrusters may look like the original ones. Hope that helps a bit.

--------------------
--- Under Construction ---
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
elchristou
post Aug 3 2008, 09:17 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 1662

Tx, but actually the thrusters are quite tiny and almost invisible at this scale... They are included in this block on each side but I have no close up shot to depict them correctly... sad.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 6 2008, 03:28 PM
Post #18

Guests

Being the self-proclaimed UMSF photo-librarian I have to keep coming up with Pioneer 10 photos wink.gif

+Quote Post
elchristou
post Aug 6 2008, 04:27 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Aug 6 2008, 01:28 PM) *
Being the self-proclaimed UMSF photo-librarian I have to keep coming up with Pioneer 10 photos wink.gif

Nice, another unknown photo! Unfortunately this one is also too general...
To have a better idea of what could be better on my model, you can download the current stage Here (Pioneer link). The thrusters are not visible and some foil has been removed to let the instrument visible (this can change if necessary)... Be free to let me know what I can do to make it better!

+Quote Post
tasp
post Aug 6 2008, 09:05 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 162

{Grasping at straws here}

Would anyone know if 'accurate' source images were used in the model Pioneer spacecraft shown in one of those Star Trek movies ?

(Not 'V-ger', a Pioneer craft was shown being blasted by Romuloids or some such, and as I recall the craft was shown in close up in when it was blasted)

If your not embarrassed to use a print of a sci-fi movie for source info on Pioneer thrusters, might be worthwhile checking. IIRC, V-ger was portrayed minus some thermal blankets. If Hollywood used original pics of Pioneer for the movie model it might be something to check on. Especially if you already have the DVD on hand and can single frame thru the scene.

Sorry I don't recall exactly which movie it was and there are rather several of them . . .

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 7 2008, 01:23 AM
Post #21

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Well, hoping to assist in this effort (and also help out poor Phil!) I found this:

Might not be much help (esp. because the spacecraft is still under construction here), but it's the most detail I've seen.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elchristou
post Aug 7 2008, 07:37 AM
Post #22

QUOTE (nprev @ Aug 6 2008, 11:23 PM) *
Well, hoping to assist in this effort (and also help out poor Phil!) I found this...

Yep, actually this is also the better photo I've seen so far; it's where we can see part of the thrusters (holes in the black block) but my problem is those on other axis. I don't know exactly where they are... ohmy.gif

+Quote Post
Dominik
post Aug 7 2008, 09:27 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 484

@tasp

The Movie was: Star Trek V - The final frontier

The Pioneer model used there, seems to be very accurate in my opinion. but the thrusters are not visible in that scene, because the spacecraft is shown from it's HGA side. The klingon ship then fires it's disruptors on the spacecraft and then it tumbles very fast -> No chance to see the thrusters in detail.

--------------------
--- Under Construction ---

+Quote Post
Ken90000
post Aug 7 2008, 03:16 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 1337

Would the Pioneer H spacecraft that hangs in the Milestones of Flight Gallery at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. have accurate thrusters for your use? I have a few shots of it somewhere around here. I am sure that one of us will find himself or herself in that museum and willing to take a few close-up digital images of the thrusters.

Just do not fall while leaning over the balcony trying to get the perfect shot.

+Quote Post
elchristou
post Aug 7 2008, 04:09 PM
Post #25

QUOTE (Ken90000 @ Aug 7 2008, 01:16 PM) *
Would the Pioneer H spacecraft that hangs in the Milestones of Flight Gallery at the National Air and Space Museum in Washington D.C. have accurate thrusters for your use? I have a few shots of it somewhere around here. I am sure that one of us will find himself or herself in that museum and willing to take a few close-up digital images of the thrusters.

Just do not fall while leaning over the balcony trying to get the perfect shot.

That would be wonderful! One of the good fellow of the Celestia community have done the same last year when I was modeling Voyager. You probably know the result and I must say I'm quite happy with this model... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 7 2008, 06:05 PM
Post #26

Guests

In fact, I'm working on an article to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the Pioneer 10 - Jupiter flyby of December 1973. The article will be illustrated with seldom seen photographs, which I'm keeping off a bit for the moment, but I can share one "specially in preview" for UMSF:

the other Phill

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 7 2008, 06:09 PM
Post #27

Guests

I guess everybody noted in the photo above, how the Frank Drake/Carl Sagan Pioneer Plaque is attached to the frame with the drawing inwards in order to protect it from micro-meteorites. Here's one more photo, but I'll have to keep the rest for the UMSF photo of the month topic over at the "EVA & Misc" part of the UMSF forum:

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 11 2008, 09:11 AM
Post #28

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This has been sent in by Infocat13

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Pi...s_kickmotor.jpg

+Quote Post
ilbasso
post Aug 11 2008, 01:31 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 103

Here are links to the Pioneer on display at the National Air and Space Museum. Not a lot of detail, but maybe it helps.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture in book

--------------------
Jonathan Ward
Manning the LCC at http://www.apollolaunchcontrol.com

+Quote Post
nprev
post Aug 12 2008, 02:43 AM
Post #30

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Hopefully not OT, but just what the heck is that cutout in the parabolic dish for? My best guess is that it's there for the thruster to provide pitch control without eroding the dish or introducing an opposing torque?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:53 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.