IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

French plans for reform of ESA
imipak
post Jul 1 2008, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 617

Report on the BBC News site (which I've not heard mentioned on any other BBC news output today):

Ambitious plans for European missions to the Moon and Mars are being considered by the French government. It wants to kick-start a revolution in space by letting EU politicians not bureaucrats decide on priorities for the European Space Agency (Esa).

[ ...snip a lot of woolly stuff about manned missions to Mars and the need for politically defined objectives... ]

According to the French, the UK is their model partner in this endeavour.

*choke* well that's, uh, interesting...

Fairly long and interesting article - a little bit off-topic for UMSF perhaps, but some might be interested.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
dvandorn
post Jul 2 2008, 04:34 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 15

The current financial strains are only going to get worse, I fear. The world is facing a near-future resource crisis, which is going to create a *lot* of financial strains.

I'm firmly convinced that both msf and umsf can be powerful tools in overcoming this resource crisis, but we need to have the infrastructure for both a little more established before the crisis really starts to hit, or else these powerful tools may be lopped out of human endeavour as being "too wasteful" by those who just can't make themselves think longer-term than right now.

Now, while we can still make a good case for developing these tools, is when we should push for as much to be put into them as we can possibly manage.

IMHO.

So, I'm happy to see this move by France. And in the end, I think they have a point -- any costly human endeavour that requires planning and execution over years and decades becomes, ipso facto, a political decision. Put another way, when something very much needs to be done but will never generate a profit, that thing has to be done by a government. And anything a government does is, almost by definition, a political decision.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- imipak   French plans for reform of ESA   Jul 1 2008, 06:58 PM
- - djellison   Doing a little dance along the 'no politics...   Jul 1 2008, 09:30 PM
- - Juramike   It all sounds good. Another space race would be a...   Jul 1 2008, 09:57 PM
- - TheChemist   Yep, it sounds good. However, under the current fi...   Jul 2 2008, 12:09 AM
- - dvandorn   The current financial strains are only going to ge...   Jul 2 2008, 04:34 AM
|- - imipak   QUOTE (dvandorn @ Jul 2 2008, 05:34 AM) I...   Jul 2 2008, 06:12 AM
- - dvandorn   Well... I see the greatest resource challenge upc...   Jul 2 2008, 06:49 AM
- - Bernard   Please do not rejoyce too early... This is only ...   Jul 2 2008, 08:10 AM
- - jmknapp   QUOTE (imipak @ Jul 1 2008, 01:58 PM) Rep...   Jul 2 2008, 11:54 AM
- - djellison   ahem... political politicians president m v um oi...   Jul 2 2008, 01:32 PM
- - ngunn   I agree, and I didn't mind at all that one of ...   Jul 2 2008, 02:10 PM
- - imipak   In retrospect I regret starting the topic and crea...   Jul 2 2008, 08:02 PM
|- - ngunn   QUOTE (imipak @ Jul 2 2008, 09:02 PM) In ...   Jul 2 2008, 09:47 PM
- - djellison   What was very funny at the little dinner we had in...   Jul 2 2008, 10:13 PM
|- - ElkGroveDan   QUOTE (djellison @ Jul 2 2008, 02:13 PM) ...   Jul 2 2008, 11:31 PM
- - TheChemist   Perhaps we can show character and discuss this wit...   Jul 2 2008, 11:14 PM
- - djellison   It's all words, basically, until the November ...   Jul 2 2008, 11:19 PM
- - nprev   Rule 1.2 is a damn good idea. In fact, I personall...   Jul 4 2008, 02:12 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:24 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.