IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Chang'e 3: Lunar Day 3 and onwards, Ongoing discussion of the Rover/Lander mission
Cosmic Penguin
post Feb 23 2014, 04:17 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 6419

Whatever it is, it looks like the "problem" is wheel/bogie related, as it turns out that Yutu was almost fully operational on the third lunar day (which it didn't move for the whole period), with the PanCam, VIRS and GPM working (I assume that the APXS is too, just that ground controllers aren't bothered with pulling its arm out): http://www.chinanews.com/mil/2014/02-23/5870836.shtml

And of course the lander's LUT and EUV imager were working as well for the whole lunar day. The lander went into hibernation for the 3rd lunar night yesterday, with the lander following several hours ago.

Here's a (new?) photo by the PanCam of the rover:
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
UMSF - the place of Opportunity to satisfy your Spirit of Curiosity via Perseverance
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenny
post Feb 23 2014, 08:51 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 759

I think that is indeed a 'new' photo, taken from a position South-west of the lander. My guess is it is taken from fairly close to the lander, from a position not shown on Phil's map -- in other words,
after coming round the lander Yutu perhaps made an excursion westwards which has not been noticed or recorded so far.

An alternative explanation for that view might be that it was taken in zoom mode from the 11-14 January position or later. However, I think that less plausible because of the clear view it shows of the
turning tracks made after deployment - those would be surely more foreshortened if seen in zoom from a distance.

Edit: one further thought... the shadows of the 2 deployment ramps in the 'new' photo are cast directly below the ramps, showing the sun was due south and therefore it was local midday.
The earlier post deployment photos of Chang'e from Yutu were taken well after midday, as the link below shows. Hence, the 'new' picture was perhaps taken on Day 2.

Chang'e from the south, Day 1

+Quote Post
dilo
post Feb 24 2014, 06:30 AM
Post #33

Member No.: 150

QUOTE (Cosmic Penguin @ Feb 23 2014, 05:17 AM) *
Here's a (new?) photo by the PanCam of the rover:

In this site the pictures are two, from left and right mastcam:
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/photo/20...133136783_2.htm
Here below the crossed eye version:
Attached Image

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
kenny
post Feb 24 2014, 07:05 AM
Post #34

So this status report alongside the picture, implies that Yutu could even have taken the 'new' photo on Day 3....

" This undated photo taken by the camera on the Yutu moon rover shows the Chang'e-3 moon lander and the moon surface. The Chang'e-3 lander entered its third dormancy on early Feb. 23, 2014. China's
lunar rover Yutu also entered the dormancy on Feb. 22, with the mechanical control issues that might cripple the vehicle still unresolved. According to the State Administration of Science, Technology
and Industry for National Defence (SASTIND), Yutu only carried out fixed point observations during its third lunar day, equivalent to about two weeks on Earth.
Yutu's radar, panorama camera and infrared imaging equipment are functioning normally, the control issues that have troubled the rover since January persist. (Xinhua/SASTIND) "

And the parallax on those 2 left/right photos shows they were definitely taken close the lander from the SW, at a new position.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 24 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 5221

Ah, so they did move back towards the lander after all. Whether the remaining B/W cameras can make out a visible fault is the multimillion yuan question...

+Quote Post
Hungry4info
post Feb 25 2014, 12:24 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 4270

http://www.moondaily.com/reports/Is_Yutu_Stuck_999.html
http://www.spacedaily.com/reports/No_Call_for_Yutu_999.html

Some updates, with more elabouration on the technical state of the rover.

--------------------
-- Hungry4info (Sirius_Alpha)

+Quote Post
Cosmic Penguin
post Mar 1 2014, 05:47 AM
Post #37

The "problem" with the rover has finally been reported: some sort of electrical problem with the motor-driving circuit board. That's still unresolved as of right now so some luck is needed again for the rover to wake up on the next lunar sunrise.

Source

--------------------
UMSF - the place of Opportunity to satisfy your Spirit of Curiosity via Perseverance

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 1 2014, 06:56 AM
Post #38

Member No.: 1004

I can't see how a motor-driving board can put at risk the night hibernation. unless of course it also controls the retractable solar panels

+Quote Post
Cosmic Penguin
post Mar 1 2014, 07:31 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (Paolo @ Mar 1 2014, 02:56 PM) *
I can't see how a motor-driving board can put at risk the night hibernation. unless of course it also controls the retractable solar panels

It seems that's exactly what Ye Peijian implying...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 1 2014, 08:34 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 1004

yep, there is now also an English release where it is stated:

"Normal dormancy needs Yutu to fold its mast and solar panels," said Ye. "The driving unit malfunction prevented Yutu to do those actions."

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 1 2014, 03:44 PM
Post #41

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

If they can't fold one panel over the warm box, they probably can't tilt the other one down to face the rising sun (so it has to rise higher to shine on the panel and generate power). If they can't drive they may not be oriented to face that panel towards the rising sun, causing further delay.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
William Pei
post Mar 4 2014, 09:53 AM
Post #42

Member No.: 7093

Chang'E 4 will launch this year, Ye Peijian also said: Chang'E 4 will landing a more challengeable place on the moon or even not the moon. So we may have two rabbit on the moon or another rabbit on some asteroid?

+Quote Post
kenny
post Mar 4 2014, 03:53 PM
Post #43

In that case, we may need a new thread for Chang'e 4, as we already have 5 covered.

A landing on anywhere other than the moon is a whole different game requiring extensive mission re-design.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 4 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #44

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

I had the impression that a non-lunar option had been considered at some point in the past, but personally I would expect that the desire to demonstrate a fix for YuTu's problem would be most important now, as well as a wish to drive a much greater distance.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Cosmic Penguin
post Mar 4 2014, 06:14 PM
Post #45

QUOTE (William Pei @ Mar 4 2014, 05:53 PM) *
Chang'E 4 will launch this year, Ye Peijian also said: Chang'E 4 will landing a more challengeable place on the moon or even not the moon. So we may have two rabbit on the moon or another rabbit on some asteroid?

Are you sure? I saw 2016 mentioned elsewhere on the Chinese side.......

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:11 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.