Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Rhea Nontargeted Encounter Rev 102 (Feb 2, 2009), Best views of the ice cliffs
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 16 2009, 01:12 AM
Post #1

SewingMachine

Group: Members
Member No.: 510

I've finally gotten around to piecing together the five mosaics from the 2 February pass. The fractured terrain is seen in excellent detail, and under better lighting conditions than the August 2006 encounter. It also looks like some new polar territory is covered in the first couple of mosaics.

Attached Image

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 16 2009, 01:15 AM
Post #2

SewingMachine

Here's the closest view at full resolution, taken at about 98,000-100,000km:

Attached Image

--------------------
...if you don't like my melody, i'll sing it in a major key, i'll sing it very happily. heavens! everybody's all aboard? let's take it back to that minor chord...

Exploitcorporations on Flickr (in progress) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/135024395@N07/

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Feb 16 2009, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

Wow! It is rare to get a series of mosaics like that in which all of them are of such high quality.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Exploitcorporati...
post Feb 17 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #4

SewingMachine

Yeah, I'm always impressed with the precision with which these observations are carried out, especially with Enceladus. I think that the fact that Rhea is a relatively slow-moving target helps. Four of the five observations here are six-footprint mosaics, and none of them have the gaps apparent in flybys of Tethys or Dione for example.

On a side note, the similarities between Titania/Ariel and Rhea/Dione in comparison seem especially prominent with these images. Also, the linear feature in the south visible in the last view appears to be a scarp based on this and other images. What say the experts here?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Feb 19 2009, 04:14 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 528

Wow. Thank you, thank you, thank you for these mosaics.

My math puts the general resolution of the largest one at 625 meters per pixel, making this by far the clearest global view of Rhea that I'm aware of.

The various views of the ridges are spectacular. I could stare at them for hours.

Those of us old enough to remember the Voyager missions also remember a time when the outer solar system moons were expected to be crater scarred spheroids with no appreciable geologic history.

Given the tectonism on view here, it really says something about the outer solar system that Rhea has sometimes been reffered to as the most boring major moon.

+Quote Post
belleraphon1
post Feb 20 2009, 01:07 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 627

As always, Exploitcorporations, you do awesome work.

Been exploring these images while listening to "Symphonies of the Planets". A set of 5 CD's that are recordings from the Voyager space craft radio instruments.... with the readings brought down to audio frequencies... believe me, delving into
space craft images while listening to these CD's brings a whole new dimension to the experience.

There is no such thing as a boring world(let).

Craig

+Quote Post
dvandorn
post Feb 20 2009, 03:26 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 15

I agree, EC, very good work. And the interesting linearities of the terrain show up quite well. I'm almost tempted to say that, at a certain scale, Rhea looks grooved.

-the other Doug

--------------------
“The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right.” -Mark Twain

+Quote Post
ngunn
post Feb 23 2009, 02:32 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 542

Rhea has CHARM after all:
http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/files/20090224_CHARM_Jones.pdf

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 23 2009, 04:26 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 530

Awesome presentation-- lays out the fields case for an equatorial disk/rings, and mentions the mysterious equatorial patches...

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 28 2009, 03:04 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 184

QUOTE (Exploitcorporations @ Feb 16 2009, 01:12 AM) *
I've finally gotten around to piecing together the five mosaics from the 2 February pass. The fractured terrain is seen in excellent detail, and under better lighting conditions than the August 2006 encounter. It also looks like some new polar territory is covered in the first couple of mosaics.

Good call EC on the new territory, or should we say rheaitory? Here's an example of the added coverage with N128853 inserted (click for the animated GIF):

Attached Image

Steve

+Quote Post
Stu
post Mar 4 2009, 12:33 AM
Post #11

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Nice recognition of UMSF in a Tweet from Cassini on Feb 24th......

"Presenter Geraint Jones called out (and showed) Unmanned Spaceflight.com's imaging work at Rhea during todays CHARM telecon! WTG, UMSF"

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Apr 11 2009, 02:09 PM
Post #12

Here is an updated map with several images from Rev 102 added. The navigation of various images in the region has been improved as well. The updates cover the northern latitudes of the Saturn facing hemisphere.

Attached Image

Full resolution version is at http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#RHEA

The Rev 102 images are all from the second mosaic in EC's initial post. I'm considering whether to add some further images from the highest resolution (fourth) mosaic.

Steve

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 2 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #13

...and here's what it looks like (70% full size) with several images from the highest resolution mosaic added:

Attached Image

Full resolution again at http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#RHEA.

Perhaps some experiments to try would be sharpening some input images, and to try an 8K output map.

That's the latest,

Steve

+Quote Post
scalbers
post May 22 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #14

Exploit's mosaics are an excellent guide for how to combine the images. Imagery from the fifth mosaic has now been added with some good contributions down south.

Attached Image

Full res mosaic map (now 8K) at: http://laps.noaa.gov/albers/sos/sos.html#RHEA

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 07:25 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.