IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Moderated Section

There are many members of this forum who are published authors or have developed specific products that may hold a particular interest for members.
UMSF and The Planetary Society (TPS) do not endorse, warrant, or otherwise guarantee the books and products in this section, nor will UMSF and TPS be held responsible for or participate in disputes between buyers and sellers. UMSF and TPS receive no financial consideration for these books or products save those which may be specifically offered for sale by those organizations.
• Entries in this section will require an administrator or moderator approval.
• Please feel free to contact any of the team if you would like to have something added.
• Please note that attempts to post new books or products without seeking permission will result in posts being deleted and possible suspension.
• Once a topic has started, you are free to discuss as normal.

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
coming soon..., books to be published soon
monitorlizard
post Oct 10 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 381

I thought there might be some merit in UMSF members alerting each other to forthcoming books that seem especially interesting. This book complements Phil Stooke's new book quite well, and looks like a lot of fun:

Robert Godwin -- The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook (Apogee Books) coming Dec. 1, 2007 (224 pages) $18.48 at Amazon.com (US site)

Description: From single-seat landers to rocket backpacks and lunar bulldozers, this study takes readers into the imagination of the world's top aerospace engineers by presenting NASA's lunar spacecraft research. A unique blend of history and imagination, this resource covers not only the actual exploration of the moon conducted during the Apollo program of the 1960s and 1970s, but also includes a presentation of dozens of spacecraft that were never built. Vivid, colorful renderings of the conceptual crafts--many of which are not available anywhere else--are also included, providing a visual progression of NASA's technological advancements.

(At least I hope this isn't redundant of Phil Stooke's forthcoming reference standard.)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 10 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #2

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Aaargh! That's it, I'm withdrawing mine and turning to writing cookbooks!

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Oct 10 2007, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (monitorlizard @ Oct 10 2007, 10:43 AM) *
I thought there might be some merit in UMSF members alerting each other to forthcoming books that seem especially interesting. This book complements Phil Stooke's new book quite well, and looks like a lot of fun:

Robert Godwin -- The Lunar Exploration Scrapbook (Apogee Books) coming Dec. 1, 2007 (224 pages) $18.48 at Amazon.com (US site)

Description: From single-seat landers to rocket backpacks and lunar bulldozers, this study takes readers into the imagination of the world's top aerospace engineers by presenting NASA's lunar spacecraft research. A unique blend of history and imagination, this resource covers not only the actual exploration of the moon conducted during the Apollo program of the 1960s and 1970s, but also includes a presentation of dozens of spacecraft that were never built. Vivid, colorful renderings of the conceptual crafts--many of which are not available anywhere else--are also included, providing a visual progression of NASA's technological advancements.

(At least I hope this isn't redundant of Phil Stooke's forthcoming reference standard.)

This book sounds interesting, but it looks limited to American spacecraft, and seems to be more about the actual spacecraft than the moon itself. Very interesting (and will probably reside on my shelf soon), but very different.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 29 2007, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Guests

Professor Colin Pillinger compiled an unusual spaceflight/astronomy book entitled:
"Space is a Funny Place - The funnier side of Space seen through the eyes of cartoonists"

The book has photos of spacecraft and is basically a collection of space-related cartoons into a coherent order.
It's worth noting that Colin Pillinger has not left cartoons on his ill-fated "Beagle 2" out of the book.
This is a 2000 copies limited edition Hardcover book for British £ 17.50, available via The Open University

+Quote Post
hendric
post Nov 30 2007, 07:09 PM
Post #5

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

QUOTE (Phil Stooke @ Oct 10 2007, 04:46 AM) *
Aaargh! That's it, I'm withdrawing mine and turning to writing cookbooks!

Phil

"The Lunar Cookbook: How to go from regolith to ravioli in 180 days! Includes new Solar Flare Surprise - good for eating and as a radiation shingle!"

(Imagine cover picture of a Lunar astronaut with a frying pan in one hand and a rock in the other.)

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Dec 1 2007, 07:24 AM
Post #6

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

This is disturbing...now I'm hungry... blink.gif

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 6 2008, 05:07 PM
Post #7

Guests

Not a book, but the upcoming monthly issue of Spaceflight magazine for the month of March 2008, will have an article by 2 UMSF.com forum-members (Ken Kremer on DAWN & Philip Corneille on COROT). Keep an eye on: http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/sitesia.asp...id/1649/l/nl-be

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 15 2008, 12:44 PM
Post #8

Guests

Robots in Space: Technology, Evolution and Interplanetary Travel
http://www.press.jhu.edu/books/title_pages/9417.html

+Quote Post
peter59
post Jan 15 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 299

April 10, 2008
Titan Unveiled: Saturn's Mysterious Moon Explored
by Ralph Lorenz, Jacqueline Mitton
Publisher: Princeton University Press

--------------------
Free software for planetary science (including Cassini Image Viewer).
http://members.tripod.com/petermasek/marinerall.html

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 28 2008, 08:02 AM
Post #10

Guests

Just received an 'Internet Rumour' : Robotic Exploration of the Solar System- Part 2 could be released earlier than planned, probably July 2008, with volume 3 already planned for next year.
cool.gif

+Quote Post
LivingNDixie
post Jan 30 2008, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 2698

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 28 2008, 02:02 AM) *
Just received an 'Internet Rumour' : Robotic Exploration of the Solar System- Part 2 could be released earlier than planned, probably July 2008, with volume 3 already planned for next year.
cool.gif

Have you read part one, I have seen it on Amazon a few times, thought about getting it...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 16 2008, 07:38 PM
Post #12

Guests

A book I would like to see "coming soon..." would be an updated " The Planetary Scientist's Companion " by Katharina Lodders and Bruce Fegley. The most recent copie I could find dates from 1998, so the 13-pages Asteroids listing table is incomplete...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 22 2008, 06:03 PM
Post #13

Guests

Well Paolo, what about a preview on "" Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - part 2 "":
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dave.harland/...ooks/index.html

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Feb 23 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 1004

Phil,
you asked it. Part 2 will have three chapters, and this is more or less the TOC. all titles are to be confirmed

Chapter 4 (the chapter numbers are carried over from Part 1) "The decade of Halley"
- The Crisis: about the planetary exploration crisis in the US in the 80s
- The Face of Venus: about VOIR and Venera 15 and 16
- The Mission of a Lifetime: Halley mission planning and description of Giotto, Suisei, Vega etc.
- To Venus for the Last Time: Vega at Venus
- Two Lives, one Spacecraft: ISEE 3/ICE
- "But Now Giotto has the Shout": Halley exploration
- Extrended Missions: the successive missions of Suisei, Sagigake and Giotto to G-S
- Low Cost Missions: Take One: Planetary Observer and Mariner Mk II
- Comet Frenzy: Comet exploration projects: CAESAR, SOCCER, CRAF, the Rosetta sample return etc.
- The Rise of Vermin: Asteroid exploration projects: Vesta, Piazzi, AGORA, Asterex, NEAR etc.
- An Arrow to the Sun: Solar probes
- Into the Infinite: Interstellar probe precursor studies
- Europe tries harder: Kepler, Mercury orbiters etc.
Chapter 4 is complete and we are correcting it

Chapter 5 "The Era of Flagships"
- The Final Soviet Debacle: Fobos
- Mapping Hell: Magellan
- The Reluctant Flagship: Galileo
- Asteroids into Minor Planets: Galileo to Venus, Gaspra, Ida etc.
- A New Galilean Satellite: Galileo primary mission
- Return to Europa and Io: Galileo Europa and millennium missions, end of mission
- Beyond the Pillars of Hercules: Ulysses
- The Darkest Hour: Mars Observer
- Overdue and Overexpensive: the Mars Rover and Sample Return mission of the 80s
Chapter 5 is almost complete and I am making the first correction pass

Chapter 6 "Faster, Cheaper, Better"
- Sails Return: the Martian solar sail regatta etc.
- A New Hope: the Discovery program, Clementine 1 and 2
- In Love with Eros: NEAR
- Completing the Census: Pluto Fast Flyby, Pluto Kuiper Express etc
- NASA Licks its Wounds...: Mars Global Surveyor
- Sinking the Heritage: Mars 96 and Russian projects
- Wheels on Mars: Mars Pathfinder
Chapter 6 is 70 per cent complete as of today

+Quote Post
remcook
post Feb 23 2008, 02:00 PM
Post #15

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

Besides Ralph's book, there will also be:

http://titanaftercassini.com/index.asp

and an update of: http://www.worldscibooks.com/physics/4142.html

There's quite a bit of choice!

There's also going to be a Saturn book (I'm sure that's not the only one either!):
http://www.saturnaftercassini.org/

A shame these conferences are so horrendously expensive...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 22 2008, 04:13 PM
Post #16

Guests

More & more books about the (cold) solar system beyond Neptune:

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jul 6 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #17

Guests

What the sitrep on Paolo's 2nd book: "" Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - part 2 ""
unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 6 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #18

Thanks for the interest Phil! We are waiting for the first printed draft. We are about one month behind in schedule, and I think it will be out in November.
Waiting for the drafts, I have just resumed working on part 3.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jul 7 2008, 05:10 PM
Post #19

Guests

next obvious question: what will be covered in part 3 ( post-2001 missions ? ) ?
unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jul 7 2008, 06:40 PM
Post #20

Part three will cover 1997 to the present... unless we split it futher of course!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jul 29 2008, 11:12 AM
Post #21

The Poet Dude

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 60

Due out in September...

"Extreme Science: Space Tourist"

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
remcook
post Jul 29 2008, 11:37 AM
Post #22

Rover Driver

Member No.: 47

wow, almost everyone on this forum wrote a book! impressive...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 6 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #23

Guests

The Universe in a Mirror: The Saga of the Hubble Space Telescope and the Visionaries Who Built It
Available via Amazon.co.uk or the author's website:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3cxxp/zimbib.htm

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 23 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #24

Guests

As a co-author on one of the International Space Station books by the British Interplanetary Society, I just noticed these are on sale, so get one while You can wink.gif
http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/sitesia.asp...ge/1820/l/en-us

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 28 2008, 11:07 AM
Post #25

Guests

Bought this one and it's a must have!
cool.gif
Comet/ Asteroid Impacts and Human Society: An Interdisciplinary Approach
by Peter Bobrowsky

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 14 2008, 09:28 AM
Post #26

An update on Robotic Exploration of the Solar System Part 2. We just finished the second correction of the proofs and indexing. It should be ready for printing by next week

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 23 2008, 04:15 PM
Post #27

Guests

Available by next month:

a passion for Mars mars.gif

+Quote Post
Jay Gallentine
post Sep 28 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 808

Hi Philip,

Just noticed 'A Passion for Mars' in a local Barnes & Noble Bookseller's today. Perused the book; looks to be quite nicely done!

Jay Gallentine

+Quote Post
djellison
post Sep 28 2008, 09:34 AM
Post #29

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Yup - it's very VERY good - I actually met up with Andy Chaikin in June to have a chat about it ( but couldn't say anything until it was released ) hopefully there will be an interview on Planetary Radio in the not too distant future!

Doug

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 12 2008, 07:42 AM
Post #30

Guests

Came across a very good small (19x12 cm) book entitled:
Jane’s Space Recognition Guide – 2008
ISBN 978-0-00-723296-3
By Peter Bond.
Small softcover with 384 glossy pages listing every spacecraft ever launched.
A must-have for unmanned spaceflight fans as 98% is on unmanned vehicles.
Each spacecraft gets 1 page with a good photo and text about manufacturer, launch, weight, orbit, …
ISBN 978-0-00-723296-3

+Quote Post
Stu
post Oct 17 2008, 11:35 AM
Post #31

The Poet Dude

Not so much "Coming soon" as "probably in your local bookstore now and screaming out from the shelf to be bought..." laugh.gif

I bought Andrew Chaikin's new book "A PASSION FOR MARS" and I'm afraid to say that I'm seriously considering hitting him with a lawsuit for compensation, specifically for loss of earnings. I have things to do. I have Outreach talks to plan, school talks to organise, writing and editing deadlines of my own, oh, and a full time job to go to too, but I can't get ANYTHING done because Andy's book is so good. If you've read "A MAN ON THE MOON" you'll be familiar with his writing style and passion for the subject; well, this book - as its name suggests - has passion in bucketfuls. It's just a wonderful read, lots of "Wow, I never knew that!" insight into what goes on behind the scenes of the Mars exploration community.

There are also some fantastic pictures, many I've never seen before, including some remarkable Mariner photos that look incredibly crisp and detailed, much better than any I've seen elsewhere.

I could say more, but no point really. If you have an interest in Mars this book is a must-buy! But if you really don't like lyrical waxings then it might not move you as much as it did me, 'cos Andy is definitely as deeply in love with Mars, and the beauty of space exploration, as many of us here are, and he wears his heart on his sleeve when it comes to how he feels about this stuff.

--------------------

+Quote Post
djellison
post Oct 17 2008, 12:10 PM
Post #32

Founder

I was fortunate enough to read a preview copy. It's bloody amazing. And for those who are interested - I actually did a short interview with Andy a few months back ( after the final draft - but before it hit the printers ) that I'll be putting online this weekend!

Doug

+Quote Post
Mariner9
post Oct 20 2008, 04:40 PM
Post #33

Member No.: 528

Completely by chance I ran across a new Europa book, "Unmasking EUROPA".

It is published by Copernicus Books, whom I had never heard of. A quick look inside the cover informs us that they are "An imprint of Springer Science-Business Media", and associated with Praxis Publishing Ltd. So, not a new player after all.

It is written by Richard Greenberg, the same author as "Europa: The Ocean Moon" I loved that book, but as previously discussed here on UMSF the author does have a political ax to grind with the scientific powers-that-be on the Galileo project. His arguments that the thick ice interpretation on Europa is flawed sound convincing, but when you are hearing only one side of a story it always does.

The new book is stripped of much of the mathematical and geologic terminology used in the original in order to reach a wider audience. I would prefer not to say it is "dumbed down", the best analogy I could think of is comparing a special issue of SCIENCE dealing with Europa, vs. the same information delivered in a long article in Scientific American.

I've only read the first few chapters. If anything this one feels even more political than the first, possibly because the author is spending more time describing the process of discovery of Europa's secrets. But I get the sense that the politics takes a mostly back seat for most of the rest of the book, and pops back up again towards the end.

Europa: The Ocean Moon was a pricey book, I think I paid $90 for it. "Unmasking EUROPA" is only $27.50, so it's a lot cheaper.
The first book had a lot more images in it, including a lot of context images and mosaics I had never seen elsewhere. If you only buy one of the two I would go with the first one. But being an outer planets junkie, I bought both without hesitation.

+Quote Post
Airbag
post Oct 20 2008, 05:27 PM
Post #34

Member No.: 453

Had the pleasure to browse a preview copy of Jim Bell's "Mars 3-D: A Rover's-Eye View of the Red Planet" book recently; very cool format with a fold-out front cover that has the red/blue glasses built in (so they can't get lost) and a hole for your nose :-). "Regular" images and explanatory text on the left hand pages, and the (sideways) anaglyphs (including color ones) on the right hand pages. Minor drawback might be for "older" readers that the distance from the glasses to the anaglyph page is not that far, thus perhaps forcing the use of reading glasses?

Tons of pictures and text; should be a keeper! And a good price too, e.g.:

http://www.amazon.com/Mars-3-D-Rovers-Eye-...118&sr=8-11

Airbag

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Oct 22 2008, 06:17 PM
Post #35

Robotic Exploration of the Solar System 2 should be out in a few days. I received my author's copies yesterday

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 29 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #36

Guests

Paolo, Amazon.co.uk starts to send "" Robotic Exploration of the Solar System part 2 "" out this week (finally got an e-mail it will be delivered).

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 31 2008, 02:59 PM
Post #37

Guests

IYA2009 book + DVD:
http://www.wiley-vch.de/publish/en/books/b...c1kpv9akpvkq1f2

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 2 2008, 03:00 PM
Post #38

Guests

Sir Patrick Moore combining his love for astronomy and the English game of cricket:

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 4 2008, 11:32 AM
Post #39

Guests

Paolo Ulivi's " Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - Part 2 - Hiatus and renewal 1983-1996 " is a must have!
535 pages covering Venus Orbiting Imaging Radar, Giotto, Vega, Magellan, Galileo, Ulysses, NEAR, Mars 94/96, Sojourner... to name a few missions!

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 4 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 617

(re: cricket on Mars) The swing, seam, and spin bowlers would be massacred in the thin, dry atmosphere - like a dull Sunday afternoon at Minor Counties v. Dutch Tourists - and I find a purely pace attack lacks much of the essential cat-and-mouse drama. On the other hand, if anyone can make sense of Duckworth-Lewis, it'd be JPL...

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 7 2008, 05:12 PM
Post #41

Guests

A Passion for Mars – Intrepid Explorers of the red planet
Superb Hardcover edition with 279 glossy pages telling the Mars exploration story from Percival Lowell to Steve Squyres. Excellent and rare color photos (Leighton, Sagan, Murray, Soffen, Lee, Mutch, Hibbs, Malin, Theisinger, Manning, Garvin, ...).
As best 2008 book on Mars-related unmanned spaceflight = a must-have!

+Quote Post
imipak
post Nov 7 2008, 07:37 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 617

Thirded - I'm half-way through my copy (of "A Passion for Mars") and it does live up to the glowing reviews above. I also greatly enjoyed Doug's interview with Andrew Chaikin, which I'd been saving up until I'd read at least some of the book.

--------------------
--
Viva software libre!

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 10 2008, 05:01 PM
Post #43

Guests

Also from Jim Bell: Moon 3-D: The Lunar Surface Comes to Life

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 30 2008, 08:41 AM
Post #44

Guests

Another mars.gif Mars-related book:

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Dec 8 2008, 05:05 PM
Post #45

On a lighter note: "Space is a funny place" by Colin Pillinger, on 50 years of space history through comics strips and cartoons. Nice book!

+Quote Post
Stu
post Dec 29 2008, 04:53 PM
Post #46

The Poet Dude

Received a lovely pressie for Christmas: "NASA/ART 50 Years of Exploration", jam-packed full of paintings and sketches from the NASA ART program, ranging from the truly beautiful and realistic ("The Great Moment" by Paul Calle) to the thought-provokingly unusual and 'different' ("Go For The Stars" by P.A. Nisbet) to the Aw, come on, you're [i]having a laugh, right?[/i] abstract and 'modern' ("Moonwalk 1" by Andy Warhol and "Commemorating Apollo 11" by Nam June Paik). For anyone with an interest in the history of space exploration and/or art, this is a must buy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
LivingNDixie
post Jan 4 2009, 10:22 PM
Post #47

Member No.: 2698

I saw this at Barnes and Noble
Mars, A Cosmic Stepping Stone: Uncovering Humanity's Cosmic Context

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 5 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #48

Guests

I'm looking forward to " Ambassadors from Earth " by UMSF forum-member Jay Gallantine...

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Jan 5 2009, 09:14 AM
Post #49

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Jan 5 2009, 09:43 AM) *
I'm looking forward to " Ambassadors from Earth "

Definitely. I read some of the drafts, and it has some very good pages about James van Allen for example, sometimes even better than JVA's biography

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 13 2009, 03:24 PM
Post #50

Guests

Personally I just bought;

The Solar System Beyond Neptune ( a large hardcover in the Arizona LPI Space Science Series )

To discover that this a new title on the subject:

New Horizons: Reconnaissance of the Pluto-Charon System and the Kuiper Belt

by C.T. Russell (Editor)
List Price: $169.00
* Hardcover: 406 pages
* Publisher: Springer; 1 edition (January 1, 2009)
* ISBN-13: 978-0387895178

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jan 28 2009, 05:41 PM
Post #51

Guests

Unmasking Europa
http://www.praxis-publishing.co.uk/view.as...amp;search=home

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jan 31 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #52

The Poet Dude

Good review, Phil! smile.gif

http://www.outofthecradle.net/archives/200...nar-exploration

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 31 2009, 11:05 PM
Post #53

That is quite good, isn't it? It's nice to be appreciated. Wait till you see what I'm doing on Mars! I just started the illustrations a few weeks ago, first by compiling some base maps, then the actual book figures. I will post a few examples later. I'm busy now with compiling a step by step account of Viking operations.

Phil

--------------------

Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 13 2009, 10:26 AM
Post #54

Guests

Available since mid-February 2009:
The Crowded Universe - the search for living planets '
by Alan Boss, an astrophysicist who has been working closely on the Kepler Space Observatory mission...

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 21 2009, 01:28 PM
Post #55

Guests

THEMIS mission:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0387898...14750211_snp_dp

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 26 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #56

Guests

Long awaited in the Outward Odyssey series:

Ambassadors from Earth Outward Odyssey

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 15 2009, 10:22 AM
Post #57

Guests

Mike Brown wrote a review for the excellent book: ‘ The Crowded Universe - the search for living planets '
by Dr Alan Boss, an astrophysicist who has been working closely on the Kepler Space Observatory mission...
check the 12th April entry on his blog:
http://www.mikebrownsplanets.com/

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 16 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #58

Guests

I have noticed a few separate topics on downloadable books, well here are a few more:
http://www.e-booksdirectory.com/listing.php?category=167

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 17 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #59

Guests

Well, a few must-have books during this IYA2009:

Deep Space Craft
Springer Praxis Books: Astronautical Engineering (By Dave Doody)

Impact Craters in the Solar System
Springer Praxis Books: (By Elzabeth Turtle)

The Hunt for Planet X
By Govert Schilling

And I guess there’ll be a Robotic Exploration of the Solar System 3 by Paolo … correct?

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 17 2009, 11:26 AM
Post #60

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Apr 17 2009, 11:54 AM) *
And I guess there’ll be a Robotic Exploration of the Solar System 3 by Paolo … correct?

yes, we are working on it. We will have a short delay because next week I will move to live and work in France and I will have a lot of other things to do beside writing

+Quote Post
climber
post Apr 17 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #61

Member No.: 682

QUOTE (Paolo @ Apr 17 2009, 01:26 PM) *
I will move to live and work in France

Where about?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Apr 17 2009, 05:19 PM
Post #62

QUOTE (climber @ Apr 17 2009, 07:14 PM) *
Where about?

I should be in Metz for a few months and then hopefully move to Paris

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 22 2009, 04:44 PM
Post #63

Well, maybe 'coming soon' is a slight exaggeration, but it's coming. Cambridge has accepted my Mars Atlas proposal, so I've put up a web page about it with a few samples of the content. If we go the two volume route the first will be sent to them late in 2011 and published about a year later.

Phil

http://publish.uwo.ca/~pjstooke/marsatlas.htm

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post May 22 2009, 08:30 PM
Post #64

Member No.: 530

Phil, where are you stopping? Pathfinder?

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 22 2009, 09:19 PM
Post #65

There's some uncertainty about this. How long will MER continue? How long will MSL operate? I can't judge the length of volume 2 yet. But if we have a good long journey ahead of us still for Opportunity - and who knows for Spirit? - and a long MSL mission then each volume will extend to about 350 pages with a convenient break just before MER.

I've just finished a draft of the Viking 1 section. Viking site selection plus all of Viking 1 is about 55 pages. Viking 2 might push that up near 100 pages just for that mission.

Anyway, still up in the air.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
antipode
post May 23 2009, 10:40 PM
Post #66

Member No.: 1206

Yikes! 2012! How will I be able to wait? [twiddles thumbs] ph34r.gif

Seriously Phil, I cant wait - Ive been waiting for something like this for years....good luck with it!

P

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post May 23 2009, 10:57 PM
Post #67

You're right, I shouldn't have mentioned it until a month before it was due out.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
cbcnasa
post May 26 2009, 02:55 PM
Post #68

Member No.: 4691

It sounds excellent but such a long wait for it. It will be wort the wait.
smile.gif

+Quote Post
Stu
post Jun 11 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #69

The Poet Dude

Off topic as far as unmanned spaceflight is concerned but I'd hate for people to miss this. I thought people might be interested to know about "A MAN ON THE MOON" author Andrew Chaikin's new book, "VOICES FROM THE MOON" which features some rather stunning new versions of much loved old Apollo images. He was good enough to let me use one of his pictures - and answer some questions about how he made them - on my blog, so I think it is relevent to UMSF. If you would like to know more, please have a look at:

http://cumbriansky.wordpress.com/2009/06/1...ary-approaches/

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jun 19 2009, 02:28 PM
Post #70

Guests

Some of us have been looking forward to this book:

Planetary Rovers - Tools for Space Exploration ( Springer Praxis Books - Astronautical Engineering )
Richter, Lutz, Ellery, Alex, Barnes, Dave
2009, Approx. 400 p., Hardcover
ISBN: 978-3-642-03258-5

Due by September 2009

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jun 26 2009, 08:03 AM
Post #71

Guests

SATURN FROM CASSINI-HUYGENS
Edited by Michele Dougherty, Larry Esposito, Tom Krimigis
Hardcover: 600 pages
Publisher: Springer; 1 edition (December 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1402092164
ISBN-13: 978-1402092169

TITAN FROM CASSINI-HUYGENS
Edited by Robert Brown, Jean Pierre Lebreton, Hunter Waite
Hardcover: 600 pages
Publisher: Springer; 1 edition (October 1, 2009)
ISBN-10: 1402092148
ISBN-13: 978-1402092145

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Jun 27 2009, 06:07 PM
Post #72

Guests

ATLAS OF THE GALILEAN SATELLITES
Paul Schenk ( LPI )
Complete color global maps and high-resolution mosaics of Jupiter’s four large moons – Io, Europa, Ganymede and Callisto – are compiled for the first time in this important atlas. The satellites are revealed as four visually striking and geologically diverse planetary bodies: Io’s volcanic lavas and plumes and towering mountains; Europa’s fissured ice surface; the craters, fractures and polar caps of Ganymede; and the giant impact basins, desiccated plains and icy pinnacles of Callisto. Featuring images taken from the recent Galileo mission, this atlas is a comprehensive mapping reference guide for researchers. It contains 65 global and regional maps, nearly 250 high-resolution mosaics, and images taken at high resolutions….

Available by February 2010 (ISBN-13: 9780521868358)

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Aug 3 2009, 09:13 AM
Post #73

Guests

The impact of HST on European Astronomy
Editor F. Duccio Macchetto
Major contributions facilitated by the Hubble Space Telescope range from the study of nearby planets, the processes of star and planet formation, the stellar and interstellar components of galaxies, the discovery that most, if not all, galactic nuclei harbor a massive black hole that profoundly affects their evolution, to the realisation that the universe as a whole is undergoing acceleration as a result of a yet unknown form of "dark energy".
This volume offers a broad perspective of the advancements made possible by the HST over its almost two decades of operation and
emphasises their impact on European astronomical research. These proceedings of 41st in ESLAB series of the European Space Agency collect the oral and poster papers that were presented and discussed during the meeting.
# ISBN-10: 9048133998
# ISBN-13: 978-9048133994

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Sep 5 2009, 10:02 AM
Post #74

Guests

Just heard that " Ambassadors from Earth " will become available this month:
http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/A...rth,674133.aspx

via Amazon.co.uk:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ambassadors-Earth-...4220&sr=8-1

Best regards,
Philip

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 5 2009, 10:10 AM
Post #75

Merciless Robot

For US customers, it's much cheaper on Amazon; $23 plus shipping vs. $37 plus straight from U of N Press.

Terrific news; been waiting for this one to come out!

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 24 2009, 06:54 PM
Post #76

Not strictly UMSF related, but French-speeking members may be interested in this very good biography of Le Verrier

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Oct 27 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #77

Guests

Another superb book on HST observations;
http://www.cosmiccollisions.org/

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Nov 13 2009, 11:18 AM
Post #78

Guests

And the long-awaited book on Hubble by Dr Ed Weiler himself:
Hubble: a journey through space and time
ISBN-10: 0810989972
ISBN-13: 978-0810989979

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hubble-Journey-Thr...935&sr=8-17

+Quote Post
Mark6
post Nov 20 2009, 06:25 PM
Post #79

Member No.: 435

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Nov 4 2008, 12:32 PM) *
Paolo Ulivi's " Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - Part 2 - Hiatus and renewal 1983-1996 " is a must have!
535 pages covering Venus Orbiting Imaging Radar, Giotto, Vega, Magellan, Galileo, Ulysses, NEAR, Mars 94/96, Sojourner... to name a few missions!

Also Part 1. I have both books, and pre-ordered Part 3 on Amazon. Amount of historic details is astonishing, particularly about Russian probes from 1960's-70's.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Nov 20 2009, 06:55 PM
Post #80

QUOTE (Mark6 @ Nov 20 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Also Part 1. I have both books, and pre-ordered Part 3 on Amazon.

Thanks very much, I am glad you liked them!
Please note that I am running very late with Part 3 (presently bogged down writing about MERs). It probably won't be available until 2nd half of 2010

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 11 2009, 11:02 AM
Post #81

Guests

Histoire Visuelle des Sondes Spatiales: the book covers scientific discoveries made possible by planetary exploration...

French language, 376 pages
ISBN 9782762129700

+Quote Post
djellison
post Dec 11 2009, 11:35 AM
Post #82

Founder

Nice cover image what with New Horizons flying a few hundred KM's over a massively exaggerated Valles Marineris

umm - yeah.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 11 2009, 03:31 PM
Post #83

Guests

We all understand what You mean Doug, but I guess he wanted to highlight the subtitle " From Luna 1 to New Horizons " by putting both spacecraft on the cover. ( New Horiozns being the best looking spacecraft since Voyager ) wink.gif
The red planet added some color to the cover, but an artist impression of Pluto would have been more fitting for both spacecraft.
Just to let You all know I pre-ordered this book on Amazon.fr and will posts a short review as soon as possible...

+Quote Post
hendric
post Dec 11 2009, 06:15 PM
Post #84

Director of Galilean Photography

Member No.: 93

You never know, that might *be* an artist's impression of Pluto! smile.gif Maybe we'll find giant massive red-tinged valleys on Pluto once we get there. smile.gif

--------------------
Space Enthusiast Richard Hendricks
--
"The engineers, as usual, made a tremendous fuss. Again as usual, they did the job in half the time they had dismissed as being absolutely impossible." --Rescue Party, Arthur C Clarke
Mother Nature is the final inspector of all quality.

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Dec 15 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #85

Guests

I would like to point out a great book to conclude the International Year of Astronomy 2009:
Questions of Modern Cosmology: Galileo's Legacy
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Questions-Modern-C...4517&sr=8-1

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Feb 7 2010, 09:19 AM
Post #86

Guests

Missions from JPL: Fifty Years of Amazing Flight Projects (Paperback)
By Robert Aster
# ISBN-10: 1449916104
# ISBN-13: 978-1449916107

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Mar 12 2010, 02:56 PM
Post #87

Guests

Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - Part 3 is listed at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robotic-Exploratio...5615&sr=8-1

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Mar 12 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #88

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Mar 12 2010, 03:56 PM) *
Robotic Exploration of the Solar System - Part 3 is listed at Amazon:

actually, it will be out no sooner than early 2011

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Mar 12 2010, 04:27 PM
Post #89

Boks are listed long before they are available. Still, should be worth waiting for!

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_PhilCo126_*
post Apr 6 2010, 07:49 AM
Post #90

Guests

The Human Archaeology of Space: Lunar, Planetary and Interstellar Relics of Exploration
It's a sort of catalog listing archaeological artifacts that have been left behind in space as a result of human exploration, this book describes the remnants of lost satellites, discarded lunar rovers, depleted rockets, and various abandoned spacecrafts.
Three parts cover distinct but interconnected issues of lunar, planetary, and interstellar archaeology.
In Parts One and Two, individual chapters cover the history of each space mission, along with technical notes and, in some cases, images of the artifacts in question. Curious if the MER "Spirit" is already as such classified huh.gif
Part Three explores the archaeology of mobile artifacts in the Solar System and the wider galaxy, looking particularly at the problems encountered in attempting a traditional archaeological field survey of artifacts that may remain in motion indefinitely.

ISBN-13: 978-0786458592

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jul 10 2010, 12:43 AM
Post #91

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (PhilCo126 @ Apr 6 2010, 03:49 AM) *
The Human Archaeology of Space: Lunar, Planetary and Interstellar Relics of Exploration
It's a sort of catalog listing archaeological artifacts that have been left behind in space....

Not sure what prompted the flurry of books on this topic, but there is another

Handbook of Space Engineering, Archaeology, and Heritage
Editor(s): Ann Darrin, Johns Hopkins University, Laurel, Maryland, USA
Beth L. O'Leary, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, USA
published by CRC press, ISBN: 9781420084313

http://www.crcpress.com/product/isbn/9781420084313

Has a chapter by me in it...

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jul 10 2010, 01:14 AM
Post #92

Merciless Robot

Huh. Wonder if the Google X-Prize was the main stimulus. Good that there's some scholarship happening on the subject, anyhow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rlorenz
post Jul 25 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 1764

QUOTE (peter59 @ Jan 15 2008, 01:21 PM) *
April 10, 2008
Titan Unveiled: Saturn's Mysterious Moon Explored
by Ralph Lorenz, Jacqueline Mitton
Publisher: Princeton University Press

Titan Unveiled came out in paperback this week (a rather affordable fifteen bucks at a well-known
on-line retailer)
The paperback has an additional chapter to bring it a little more up to date with lakes, Flagship, etc.

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Aug 4 2010, 07:54 AM
Post #94

Guests

Voyager seeking newer worlds in the third age of discovery
is a narrative of the Voyager mission - its conception, its launch, its trek through the solar system. But along with that chronicle is a running commentary that positions the mission within the long trajectory of exploration by Western civilization and asks how Voyager's journey resembles and differs from earlier expeditions. The organizing device is the concept of three great ages of discovery of which Voyager may be the grand gesture for the third. The third age had its transition in Antarctica and its first major announcement with the International Geophysical Year; its geographic domains are ice, ocean, and space; its cultural context is an uneasy bonding with a greater modernism.

• Hardcover: 480 pages
• Publisher: Viking Adult (July 22, 2010)
• ISBN-10: 0670021830
• ISBN-13: 978-0670021833
Review;
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id...Stephen_J._Pyne

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 5 2010, 04:14 PM
Post #95

"its cultural context is an uneasy bonding with a greater modernism. "

LOL!!!

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Sep 15 2010, 02:06 PM
Post #96

Guests

The Space Robots of the Soviets: Mission Technologies and Discoveries
by Welsey T. Huntress, Jr.

The Space Robots of the Soviets provides a history of the Soviet robotic lunar and planetary exploration program from its inception, with the attempted launch of a lunar impactor on September 23, 1958, to the last launch in the Russian national scientific space program in the 20th Century, Mars 96, on November 16, 1996.

Springer by June 2011
ISBN: 978-1-4419-7897-4

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Oct 3 2010, 09:15 AM
Post #97

Guests

Professor Colin Pillinger's new book: My Life on Mars - The Beagle 2 diaries

http://www.bis-spaceflight.com/sitesia.aspx/page/2243/l/nl

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Oct 5 2010, 10:48 AM
Post #98

Guests

Two more books on unmanned spacecraft:

From Jars to the Stars: How Ball came to build a Comet-hunting machine.
by Todd Neff

ISBN 978-0982958308
From Jars to the Stars tells the remarkable story of Ball Aerospace - descended from the famed maker of Mason jars - and NASA's Deep Impact comet mission, presenting an inside look into the backgrounds, characters and motivations of the men and women who create the spacecraft on which the American space program rides.

Martian Summer: The Phoenix Mission, Cowboy Spacemen and the Search for Life on the Red Planet.
by Andrew Kessler

ISBN 978-1605981765
The Phoenix Mars mission was the first man-made probe ever sent to the Martian arctic. They planned to find out how climate change can turn a warm wet planet (read: Earth) into a cold barren desert (read: Mars). That might seem like a trivial pursuit, but it's probably the most impressive feat we humans can achieve. It takes nearly the entirety of human knowledge to do it.

+Quote Post
Guest_Lunik9_*
post Oct 7 2010, 10:33 AM
Post #99

Guests

Deep Space Probes: to the outer solar system & beyond
by Gregory Matloff

ISBN: 978-3642063923

The Space Age is nearly 50 years old but exploration of the outer planets and beyond has only just begun. Deep-Space Probes Second Edition draws on the latest research to explain why we should explore beyond the edge of the Solar System and how we can build highly sophisticated robot spacecraft to make the journey. Many technical problems remain to be solved, among them propulsion systems to permit far higher velocities, and technologies to build vehicles a fraction of the size of today's spacecraft.
This second edition includes an entirely new chapter on holographic message plaques for future interstellar probes - a NASA-funded project.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Oct 21 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #100

Attached Image

Chang-e 1 lunar atlas.

I guess it's just out, not 'to be published' but I don't think it needs its own thread. Rather expensive (yikes, even more than my thingy) but probably should be in big libraries... so if you're attached to a big library you could suggest it to them and see if they bite. There is an email address for further information. It's not on the Sinomaps website (yet?) (note spelling error in that image - the publisher is Sinomaps Press)

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 11:54 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.