14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14  
Closed TopicStart new topic
The Great Planet Debate conference, August 2008 - Washington DC
vjkane
post Aug 17 2008, 11:12 PM
Post #196

Group: Members
Member No.: 351

My problem with this whole debate is that it attempts to mix topics and goals. 'Planet' is an ancient term that has cultural meaning (and hence the fierceness of this debate). However, it is not a useful scientific classification. For example, Io seems to fit all the criteria for a terrestrial world except that it found itself orbiting a planet instead of the sun. However, the primary justifications I've read for a mission dedicated to Io is what it can tell us about the processes likely present early in the history of the other terrestrial planets.

Sometimes, a single world can fit multiple classes. Titan shares active weather systems in a dense atmosphere and a solid surface in common with Venus, Earth, and Mars. (Triton and Pluto's atmosphere's seem a bit thin for this class.) At the same time, Titan is a member of the class of icy bodies with internal oceans in common with Europa, Ganymede and possibly Triton and Pluto.

I think the scientists should accept that planet is a cultural term. They can and should come up with distinctive terms that classify bodies by their characteristics and not their place of orbit.

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
djellison
post Aug 17 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #197

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

This debate isn't getting anywhere. We're getting longer and longer essays that actually don't say anything. And we have ALL done it, despite it being explicitly banned in the rules. I let it go for a few days - but realistically, it's not going to go anywhere - so I'm closing it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 12 13 14
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 10:09 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.