9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Member Questions to Administrators, Matters related to the Forum
Antdoghalo
post Sep 21 2020, 05:14 AM
Post #91

Group: Members
Member No.: 4972

Got a question, where can I post about a very large Google Earth overlay set I made of the planets?

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nprev
post Sep 21 2020, 05:27 AM
Post #92

Merciless Robot

Group: Admin
Member No.: 602

Hmm. First off, wow, and good question, thanks for asking! smile.gif Sounds like it may be an extremely useful resource.

I think a new topic in "Image Processing Techniques" would be the best fit since it's obviously not planet nor mission specific, plus it sounds as if it could be used in many ways for other imaging/cartography applications by others.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Antdoghalo
post Sep 21 2020, 02:41 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 4972

Thanks! I added it there. Sorry if I spam posted the individual planets. I had to since the overlay was too big to post in one post and I plan to update it in the future (which would make it's size increase even more). The only workaround was to divide the overlay set and upload each individual piece with the Moon, Venus, and Mars being subdivided to allow for future updates).
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?showtopic=8565
I hope you all find it useful (even if forum attachment size limits make it a bit of a chore to download the entirety of)

--------------------
"Thats no moon... IT'S A TRAP!"

+Quote Post
climber
post Feb 3 2021, 12:08 PM
Post #94

Member No.: 682

Hi Nick,
I guess we’ll have a jump in connexions soon with Perseverance landing.
I was wondering if you could provide some general stats as you used to do some years ago. I can see that current topic of Curiosity hit the 200k views but I’ve no idea of general behavior.
Thanks
Climber

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tom Tamlyn
post Feb 4 2021, 01:13 AM
Post #95

Member No.: 424

On the subject of forum guests, I was amused to see this just now:

There are 239 online users browsing:
1 members and 238 visitors

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 4 2021, 08:03 AM
Post #96

Merciless Robot

Hey! smile.gif

Climber, I don't have any stats--that was something Doug did, and frankly I just ain't got them mad skillz--but the views on any given topic or thread are cumulative so they don't reflect specific spikes. One thing that DOES happen on landing days (unsurprisingly) is that the number of users on really hits the roof. I believe that we went well over 1000 on Curiosity's landing day & even a bit higher when InSight touched down. The Forum generally attracts a wave of new members afterwards as well, one reason being that we've been called out on at least two occasions that I can recall at JPL post-landing press conferences.

Tom, yeah, that's fairly normal but it also can change minute by minute. From what I've seen a large fraction of the 'guests' are apparently automated, likely web crawlers doing scans for search engines. There are of course some actual people as well, but probably not the majority. That said, members pop on and off 24/7/365 from all over the world. There really hasn't been a fixed activity nadir time that I can discern, but it does quiet down a bit during late evening hours in Europe and North America.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
Steve G
post Feb 19 2021, 01:32 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 624

After Perseverance's successful landing, and has the mission is to seek evidence of past life, how are we going to navigate this topic around rule 1.3?

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Feb 19 2021, 01:37 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 5221

QUOTE (Steve G @ Feb 18 2021, 08:32 PM) *
After Perseverance's successful landing, and has the mission is to seek evidence of past life, how are we going to navigate this topic around rule 1.3?

There's a post by Bjorn in the Future Venus Missions thread that would be a good precedent, albeit about the Venusian phosphine paper and implications: http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.p...st&p=248107

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 19 2021, 02:49 AM
Post #99

Merciless Robot

Hey. This has been under discussion for quite some time and we'll make a decision soon. Obviously we have a few months (at least) until there may be a conflict.

Right now, 1.3 remains in effect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Feb 19 2021, 03:05 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 530

It perseveres, you mean.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Feb 19 2021, 03:33 AM
Post #101

Merciless Robot

Indeed it does, and I'll get you for that, Steve. laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
scalbers
post Feb 21 2021, 09:03 PM
Post #102

Member No.: 184

Hopefully there can be maintained a balance with Perseverance discussion similar to what we see in this article. Could be some effort to moderate though.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/jpl/searching-...ce-mars-samples

--------------------
Steve [ my home page and planetary maps page ]

+Quote Post
Art Martin
post Mar 15 2021, 04:47 PM
Post #103

Member No.: 2455

One other thing that I think should be addressed in the Perseverance area is the way certain more traditionally broad topics are turning in highly detailed technical ones. Take the Route Map topic for instance. In the MSL area, when we see a new post there it generally means Phil Stooke has added a new map showing a rover movement. In the Perseverance area, that topic now has post after post going over the way cartography works on Mars even getting into the definition of a meter and how it can change. All wonderful information if you plan to do Martian cartography which the majority of us will never tackle but it's getting hard to find just the simple information of "has the rover moved and to where?". Phil's maps are easy to read, generally black and white with clear lines showing the route, no animations or complex explanations as to how the path was computed. I think there's a place for that very technical talk but it shouldn't be in the more broad categories. The same thing goes for the topics that deal with basic daily operations. That page after page of extra info is valuable such as how to debayer images. I've learned a great deal from that discussion but sometimes those tech talks stray into areas that should be more about mission updates or sharing images.

We have some wonderful new posters that are clearly brilliant and love to share their very detailed expertise. I think it would be smart to create or define clearly some very specific topics that those discussions can be herded into and have some general information ones where we can all see the broad events that happen each Sol.

+Quote Post
HSchirmer
post Mar 15 2021, 08:00 PM
Post #104

Member No.: 7619

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Mar 15 2021, 04:47 PM) *
We have some wonderful new posters that are clearly brilliant and love to share their very detailed expertise. I think it would be smart to create or define clearly some very specific topics that those discussions can be herded into and have some general information ones where we can all see the broad events that happen each Sol.
Well said. One of the great things about "organic chemistry" is that it is determined by eons of thermodynamics instead of local kinematics. It doesn't matter what the HCNOSP source is, if you cook it long enough, in a wet sedimentary delta that collects and concentrates a diverse array of tiny catalytic mineral crystals, but is not diffusion limited, that huge catalytic surface area basically guarantees you eventually get the same end-result - tholins- aka "star tar" and a corresponding amount of complex chemicals.

Archimedes- “Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world”

Me- “Give me inorganic carbon, a cubic mile of wet minerals to catalyze it, and long enough time, and I can make every organic molecule you can imagine..."

https://www.santafe.edu/engage/learn/course...ity-interactive

+Quote Post
mcaplinger
post Mar 15 2021, 08:13 PM
Post #105

Member No.: 497

QUOTE (Art Martin @ Mar 15 2021, 08:47 AM) *
I think it would be smart to create or define clearly some very specific topics that those discussions can be herded into and have some general information ones where we can all see the broad events that happen each Sol.

The mods do this to a pretty significant extent already and have done so for years. At the end of the day, there are going to be limits to how well any thread will match what you're interested in, and you may just have to scroll past some stuff.

That said, I'm sure some posters could be less discursive or avoid posting obviously off-topic material.

--------------------
Disclaimer: This post is based on public information only. Any opinions are my own.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 9 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:26 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.