Reply to this topicStart new topic
MSL Route Map
Tesheiner
post Aug 6 2014, 12:25 PM
Post #496

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 253

Bienvenido / Welcome to UMSF Fernando.

I did a few attempts with a MSL route map in KML format for Google Earth at the very beginning of this mission but finally gave up because it would take too much effort to keep it up to date. And now I see that you have done it for the whole mission, 700+ sols for the time being, including also a lot of complementary information besides the path itself. Wow.

Thanks a lot, and keep the updates coming please!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 6 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #497

Group: Members
Member No.: 13

Seeing the 3D perspective is nice. It's also fun to stay in Google Earth and imagine that Curiosity is exploring the jungles of Papua New Guinea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
atomoid
post Aug 6 2014, 09:43 PM
Post #498

Member No.: 196

Thanks so much for this, Fernando! what sticks out immediately is it really makes apparent the extent of elevation changes during the mission.

...so Curiosity suffers trench foot in the Papua New Guinea jungle while Oppy cruises the ocean floor just west off the Gulf of Guinea half a world away! cool.gif

+Quote Post
nogal
post Aug 7 2014, 12:32 AM
Post #499

Member No.: 4824

Thanks for the welcome and encouraging words. In order not to scare too much the Papua biggrin.gif I will not be posting updates everyday, especially when there is no drive or, like today, the drive is short. Anyway I'll wait for "Where is Curiosity" to validate the drives.

Fernando

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 7 2014, 04:39 AM
Post #500

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

This area is complicated enough that it needs a special map. White squares are contact science sites.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nogal
post Aug 8 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #501

Being a bit vexed by not having the revised landing ellipse in the KMZ file, I spent several hours looking for information on it. I did a thorough search of all the topics in the MSL forum and looked at a lot of web resources. The meager result is "an ellipse sized approximately 12x4 miles" and several images sad.gif . Next, I experimented to draw an ellipse in GE, using the size values as a start and the images to guess the center's location. After a lot of attempts, here are the parameters that seem to provide a reasonable fit:
  • Center: 137.399007 E, -4.59846 N
  • Semi-major axis: 10,076.064 m
  • Semi-minor axis: 3,318.688 m
  • Rotation: -3.7º (of the ellipse's axis relative to a coordinate system with origin at the center)
I used the following Mars radius: 3,396,200 m

If someone is kind enough to send me better parameters (thank you!) I'll gladly use them.

Here is a comparison of the generated ellipse to the one shown at http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/mult...ml#.U-UK2mO9b0w

Attached Image

And a "validation" at finer detail, using the path on sols 671-677, when MSL crossed the ellipse, as shown in http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/images/Curios...ol0677-full.jpg

Attached Image

I'll add the ellipse (or a better one) in a future post.

Fernando

+Quote Post
Krit
post Aug 9 2014, 06:00 AM
Post #502

Member No.: 7116

Hello, this is my first post on UMSF. I discovered UMSF about a year ago and I really like this community. (I'm from Thailand so my English may be bad.)
To Fernando, I really like your map. It provides a lot better view of Curiosity's path. As for the landing ellipse: I don't know about the landing ellipse, but I have added the safe transit route and the notional future traverse path to your kmz file to provide information of the planned future path. (the planned routes are taken from here and here)\

Krit
Attached File(s)
Attached File  MSL_Curiosity.kmz ( 16.33K ) Number of downloads: 321

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 9 2014, 07:18 AM
Post #503

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

ADMIN NOTE: Thank you Fernando and Krit for your new contributions to the map. Over the years we have tried to maintain the various Map Threads for the rovers generally clean of additional conversation. Your contributions are valuable and are appreciated however. If you are happy to maintain your .kmz files, feel free to add them here or make them available from a central source of some kind and we can add them to the FAQ sections for the mission.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 10 2014, 10:10 PM
Post #504

Here's an update to sol 714, first a close-up, then back to the regular map.

Phil

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
nogal
post Aug 11 2014, 09:34 PM
Post #505

Update to Sol 714. Also added the revised landing ellipse (changed the parameters to improve precision).

Attached File  MSL_Curiosity_Route_Map_Sol_0714_2014AUG10.kmz ( 16.74K ) Number of downloads: 639

Fernando

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 13 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #506

Update to sol 717.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
nogal
post Aug 19 2014, 01:39 AM
Post #507

Update to Sol 719 (2014 August 15).

Fernando

Attached File  MSL_Curiosity_Route_Map_Sol_0719_2014AUG15.kmz ( 16.73K ) Number of downloads: 516

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 21 2014, 04:48 AM
Post #508

Time for an extreme close-up of activities at Bonanza King. The image is oriented north-up, not as viewed from the rover, which is northeast of the rock. Only the first ChemCam activities are indicated, more were done on later sols. The pre-load tests (the actions which raised the rover slightly in animations) are indicated with a cross symbol where the two drill posts pressed on the surface, linked by a line.

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 23 2014, 04:26 AM
Post #509

Concluding our activities at Bonanza King. EDIT - date in text box is wrong - it should be sol 721. EDIT 2: map replaced with corrected version

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Aug 25 2014, 03:48 PM
Post #510

A very quick update to sol 729 - I'm back in my office but don't have all me stuff with me yet, so this is just drawn over the previous route map. (EDIT - replaced with improved version)

Phil

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

142 Pages V  « < 32 33 34 35 36 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 06:01 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.