Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Pioneer 11 at Uranus
Paolo
post Sep 8 2006, 07:36 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1004

I have noticed this paper on possible Pioneer 11 support of the Voyager 2 Uranus encounter
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr..._1984024336.pdf
Does anybody know whether NASA took advantage of this opportunity?
thanks
Paolo
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Sep 10 2006, 09:12 PM
Post #2

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

QUOTE (Paolo @ Sep 8 2006, 07:36 PM) *
I have noticed this paper on possible Pioneer 11 support of the Voyager 2 Uranus encounter
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntr..._1984024336.pdf
Does anybody know whether NASA took advantage of this opportunity?
thanks
Paolo

I don't know of any paper published on this. Still, Pioneer-11 was sending such data back over the time period, so I imagine that an interested reseacher could take the issue up. I think it sad that Pioneer 11 wasn't sent on to Uranus and Neptune. It's imaging data would have probably been useless other than perhaps low to high phase photometry, but having particle and fields data from two passes would have proven invaluable. But, to be fair, even the Saturn encounter was a bonus, and no one envisioned Pioneer would last until 1985, much less into the 1990s.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ynyralmaen
post Sep 11 2006, 08:08 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 438

QUOTE (tedstryk @ Sep 10 2006, 11:12 PM) *
I don't know of any paper published on this. Still, Pioneer-11 was sending such data back over the time period, so I imagine that an interested reseacher could take the issue up. I think it sad that Pioneer 11 wasn't sent on to Uranus and Neptune.

Yes, it definitely returned data then. A look at plots produced here:

http://lewes.gsfc.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/cohoweb...?spacecraft=p11

shows that it was a little patchy, especially plasma density, velocity, etc., but there's probably enough magnetic field data to directly compare with Voyager 2. As this was nearer solar minimum than maximum, most of the solar wind structure would have been corotating with the Sun, i.e. there wouldn't have been many CMEs producing localised disturbances. This would definitely make the comparison simplier.

+Quote Post
Paolo
post Sep 11 2006, 06:22 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1004

The paper mentions the fact that Pioneer 11 tracking would be difficult since the largest DSN antennae would be dedicated to tracking Voyager (which was after all in almost the same spot in the sky). So what I am wondering is: was eventually data recovered from Pioneer 11 that could be used to support the Voyager encounter?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd May 2024 - 02:16 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.