Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
X Prize Cup, going on now
tfisher
post Oct 21 2006, 02:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 421

Is anyone else paying attention to the X Prize Cup going on now in New Mexico? There is live webcast coverage at space.com. The thing I think is most interesting is the lunar lander challenge, where Armadillo Aerospace has been flying their vertical-takeoff vertical-landing demonstration vehicles trying to pick up some prize cash. In terms of the future of near-earth spaceflight these bottom up efforts are some of the most exciting things going on...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tuvas
post Oct 21 2006, 06:57 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1062

QUOTE (tfisher @ Oct 21 2006, 07:39 AM) *
Is anyone else paying attention to the X Prize Cup going on now in New Mexico? There is live webcast coverage at space.com. The thing I think is most interesting is the lunar lander challenge, where Armadillo Aerospace has been flying their vertical-takeoff vertical-landing demonstration vehicles trying to pick up some prize cash. In terms of the future of near-earth spaceflight these bottom up efforts are some of the most exciting things going on...

I'm paying about as much attention as space.com puts onto it's front page, it's certainly a cool thing, but I think the X-prize cup will be much cooler in a few years when they start going into quick hops into space, instead of the now atmospheric stuff.

+Quote Post
jabe
post Oct 21 2006, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 201

The coverage isn't "cheesy" which was my fear. Being the second year they seem to have lots of cool stuff. As Tuvas said..in a few years it should be a VERY COOL event to go to. Lets hope next years is just as successful as this years seems to be...

update:bummer on the crash on 2nd attempt for armadillo...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 09:40 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.