10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Virtual Viking, Images and animations of the Viking landing sites
tasp
post Feb 25 2013, 02:40 PM
Post #106

Group: Members
Member No.: 162

I think the value of that razor sharp pan is considerable. Seeing the entire area in context to itself is really different than in seeing just segments of it. My impression all along was that landing site was pretty level all around, but it isn't. Looking at the whole thing you really see the dips and rises and and elevation changes and appreciate just how much topography is there. The site is FAR more interesting than it was 30+ years ago, LOL.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Jan 1 2014, 06:18 PM
Post #107

Member No.: 172

A frosty view of the Red Planet to wish you an Happy New Year 2014 to you all at the UMSF Forum
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 2 2014, 02:34 PM
Post #108

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

Thanks! It's nearly as cold as Mars here in Ontario this morning.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Glevesque
post Dec 2 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #109

Member No.: 7339

Viking 1

Viking 2

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Dec 2 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #110

Member No.: 347

I like your panorama site / book. I really hope you get it published.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Glevesque
post Dec 3 2014, 04:06 PM
Post #111

Member No.: 7339

Merci 4th rock from the sun,

J'ai les dates (Sols) pour les expériences "Labeled Release" des Vikings, et je cherches celles pour les expériences de "Gas Exchange" et "Pyrolytic Release". J'aimerais bien pouvoir ajouter un tableaux qui résumerais bien toutes cette série d'expérience dans le livre et à la fin du chapitre sur les Panoramiques des Vikings !

Depuis le temps que je cherches ces informations sans les trouver !!!

Thank you 4th rock from the sun,

I have dates ( Soils) for experiments " Labeled Release" of the Vikings, and I searched for those experiences " Gas Exchange " and " Pyrolytic Release" . I wish I could add tables summarize all of this series much experience in the book and at the end of the chapter on Panoramic Vikings !

Since the time I searched without finding this information !!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 3 2014, 07:04 PM
Post #112

This gives some Gas Exchange information:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029...2i028p04669/pdf

(if you have access)

And this has information on the Pyrolytic Release (Carbon Assimilation) experiment:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029...2i028p04659/pdf

Also, I have some information in text and tables in my International Atlas of Mars Exploration.

Phil

--------------------

NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
sittingduck
post Jan 15 2015, 12:51 PM
Post #113

Member No.: 6784

Does anybody know where I could learn what the final orientation of the Viking 2 high-gain antenna and surface sampler boom housing were when its batteries died?

I am attempting to align a 3D-model of the lander created by n1ckdrake with PSP_001976_2280. Knowing the position of these moving parts would help make the match.

I have tilted the lander 8.2° down in the direction specified by the "Generalized Working Map of Sample Field" and matched the virtual camera orientation with the emission angle of HiRise.

Attached is a current best-fit. Any suggestions for improvements?
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 15 2015, 02:19 PM
Post #114

The sampler was last used on sol 958, and as far as I can tell it was fully retracted with the housing facing pretty much straight ahead. Looking quickly at images taken after that date, that is my impression.

I don't know about the HGA, but if it ran searches for Earth after loss of communication (which I assume might be possible) we wouldn't know its orientation. It is small enough that it's not going to make any difference to your fit.

Phil

--------------------

+Quote Post
Guest_alex_k_*
post Jan 18 2015, 04:02 PM
Post #115

Guests

I processed five HiRise images of Viking 2 landing site: PSP_001501_2280, ESP_016665_2280, ESP_037974_2280, PSP_001976_2280, PSP_002055_2280.
Source part of PSP_001501_2280:
Attached Image

The result of x8 superresolution:
Attached Image

(uploads limit exceeded...)

+Quote Post
Guest_alex_k_*
post Jan 20 2015, 03:51 PM
Post #116

Guests

Comparing with a model (found here):
Attached Image

Two cameras seem clearly visible, HGA seems to be turned. Probabliy legs are drifted by sand.

+Quote Post
RachelVL3
post Nov 1 2015, 04:34 PM
Post #117

Member No.: 7294

Phil and others interested in Viking, we are (slowly) curating the largest (and growing) collection of original Viking artifacts, documents, images, etc...

The purpose is to educate the public AND provide access to preserve the history, engineering, science, and artifacts, and to prevent further loss and inaccessibility, of the same.

You can see a tiny bit of our curated materials on our website, Facebook and Twitter.

Let us know if you have particular interest areas and keep in touch. We will showcase individuals work using Viking materials, as well as making the originals available for research and non commercial use.

Rachel Tillman
Daughter of Viking, James E. Tillman
Founder of The Viking Mars Mission Education and Preservation Project
http://www.thevikingpreservationproject.org
https://www.facebook.com/VikingMarsMission
https://twitter.com/MarsVikingTeam
https://www.tumblr.com/blog/marsvikings
Inspire - Educate - Collaborate

+Quote Post
JohnVV
post Nov 1 2015, 07:07 PM
Post #118

Member No.: 4489

for those using "No-script"
h t t p : / / w w w . thevikingpreservationproject.org
is using a third party site( h t t p s : / / sharepointonline.com )
this is a unreachable site -- no web site at that address

this unknown site MUST be allowed to run software on your computer in order for thevikingpreservationproject site to work

there are no malicious security warnings listed for sharepointonline but there is also no information about what they DO or what software they run in your browser
other than something to do with maybe Microsoft Office 365

+Quote Post
RachelVL3
post Nov 1 2015, 08:18 PM
Post #119

Member No.: 7294

QUOTE (JohnVV @ Nov 1 2015, 11:07 AM) *
for those using "No-script"
h t t p : / / w w w . thevikingpreservationproject.org
is using a third party site( h t t p s : / / sharepointonline.com )
this is a unreachable site -- no web site at that address

this unknown site MUST be allowed to run software on your computer in order for thevikingpreservationproject site to work

there are no malicious security warnings listed for sharepointonline but there is also no information about what they DO or what software they run in your browser
other than something to do with maybe Microsoft Office 365

Hi,

We are new to this forum. Apologies for confusion or if I misposted the url. The website is set up using Sharepoint and Office 365. It requires the full url http://www to resolve. Not elegant, but more secure than other options.

You can google or bing search on our name if you prefer. "The Viking Mars Missions Education and Preservation Project".

We are an all volunteer organization committed to preserving Viking. We have done oral history interviews with more than 80 Vikings across the country (and a few internationally), among other efforts.

Please dont hesitate to ask questions.

+Quote Post
vikingmars
post Nov 2 2015, 02:36 PM
Post #120

Member No.: 172

QUOTE (RachelVL3 @ Nov 1 2015, 09:18 PM) *
Hi,
We are new to this forum. Apologies for confusion or if I misposted the url.
The website is set up using Sharepoint and Office 365. It requires the full url http://www to resolve. Not elegant, but more secure than other options. You can google or bing search on our name if you prefer. "The Viking Mars Missions Education and Preservation Project".
We are an all volunteer organization committed to preserving Viking. We have done oral history interviews with more than 80 Vikings across the country (and a few internationally), among other efforts.
Please dont hesitate to ask questions.

Thanks a lot RachelVL3 for those nice posts, much appreciated !!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  « < 6 7 8 9 10 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:33 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.