IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
ROVER WHEELS: Monitoring changes over time, NOTE: Read back through the thread to avoid repeating misconceptions
dr_rick
post Jan 7 2014, 11:28 AM
Post #136

Group: Members
Member No.: 7070

thank you for this discussion and for the images posted, and in particular that posted by Astro0 9 posts back.

When I was looking at this, I was concerned that, at the end of what appears to be a crack or break in the wheel surface material (unless I have completely misunderstood the image - in which case, please forgive me - this is my first post here), there looked to be a distortion of the wheel surface continuing in the direction of the break, suggesting that a crack continues in that direction. I downloaded the image and fiddled with the contrast (attached) and believe that my initial observation is correct. In terms of monitoring the progress of the damage to the wheel, it will be interesting to see whether the cracking continues in that direction.

modified to make image clearer
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 8 2014, 04:11 PM
Post #137

Member No.: 152

These two MH wheel views happen to show almost identical faces of the LF wheel - load them up in different windows and flip between them to see the changes between sols 488 and 506 (three shortish drives between them):
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0001E1_DXXX.jpg
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0000E1_DXXX.jpg
Apart from some new small scratches, there seems to be a new hole near the bottom of the wheel.

(Mods - sorry, I meant to post this in the wheel thread.)
Mod: Done.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 8 2014, 04:18 PM
Post #138

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

To me it looks like the hole was there before, but with shaded ground behind it instead of illuminated ground.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
Maps for download (free PD: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm...Cartography.pdf
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
dilo
post Jan 8 2014, 05:42 PM
Post #139

Member No.: 150

Phil, I think fredk is referring to the red-arrow highlighted feature:
Attached Image

The opaque appareance and the straight borders suggests it is a simple light-spot projected from squared opening (windows) on top of the wheel (you can see another spot above it...).

--------------------
I always think before posting! - Marco -

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 8 2014, 06:16 PM
Post #140

You may be right, Dilo - at first I thought that couldn't be sunlight shining through a hole because the inner wheel surface is quite dark grey, as you can see from the other light spot. But if there are patches of soil sitting on the bottom of the wheel, they would look bright orange when sunlit of course. Once we get a rotated view of the wheel we'll know for sure.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 8 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #141

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Yeah, I stared at that for a while this morning and couldn't decide either whether it was a new hole or a sunlight patch. I was leaning toward sunlight patch but don't see strong enough evidence to overturn anybody's call either way.

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Jan 15 2014, 04:00 PM
Post #142

Member No.: 6237

Looks like the ~1-meter drive on sol 513 was equal to a half-turn of the wheels, with MAHLI imaging of all wheels at 4 positions - I suppose the repeatability test for arm position the other day was with this in mind, though I don't know if we could tell other than from SPICE files if the arm was stowed for each step, or if they found a spot smooth enough to leave it deployed for these small steps. Wonder if they will do the other half-turn next sol, or if those positions are covered by other recent imaging? They downlinked and posted the images quickly, too - about 6 hours after taking them.

The good news is that there's not much discernable difference between sol 490 (right image) and sol 513 (left) on the worst spot on the front left wheel.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Greenish
post Jan 15 2014, 04:25 PM
Post #143

Member No.: 6237

Should have read the news first. From Ken Herkenhoff (full text here):

...Sol 513, which will be dominated by a full set of MAHLI images of wheels. The images will be taken between short drives, to turn the wheels a bit and allow the entire surfaces of the wheels to be imaged....

+Quote Post
Olivier
post Jan 15 2014, 04:31 PM
Post #144

Member No.: 7047

Are all the wheels "in sync" ??? i.e. do they all show the same exact number of rotation on a given drive?

Olivier

+Quote Post
charborob
post Jan 15 2014, 04:53 PM
Post #145

Member No.: 3908

They would if you were driving in a perfectly straight line on a smooth surface. But on a rugged surface, and with turns, you obviously have different numbers of rotations. For example, during a turn, the outer wheels make more rotations than the inner wheels.

+Quote Post
fredk
post Jan 15 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #146

Plus there will always be some wheel slippage, which will be different for each wheel.

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 15 2014, 05:47 PM
Post #147

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

I believe that each wheel is independently controlled as well if they emulated the MER design philosophy. Therefore any rotational synchronization in term of identical RPMs (often over several Ms, frankly) would indeed have to be straight-line and frankly coincidental given external factors like slippage.

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Jan 15 2014, 06:05 PM
Post #148

Administrator

Member No.: 454

With all this recent wheel imaging, it really seems like it should be possible to produce a systematic survey of the current condition of the entire circumference of all the wheels. Just throwing that out there in case someone has the time to organize images into such a survey....

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
Gerald
post Jan 16 2014, 12:35 AM
Post #149

Member No.: 6780

I've ideas for a 0th and 1st approximation of an "undistortion" algorithm for the wheel images. For the 0th approximation three points should be sufficent to retrieve the mantle of an assumed cylindric wheel. A fourth point as parameter may already be sufficient to take account of the perpendicular curvature.

This shouldn't be too difficult to program. May be I'll dare a try on Sunday.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jan 16 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #150

Member No.: 615

Yes please Gerald.....'Dare Mighty Things'! smile.gif

+Quote Post

19 Pages V  « < 8 9 10 11 12 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 04:13 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.