25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
MARDI images and videos
walfy
post Aug 7 2012, 05:58 AM
Post #31

Group: Members
Member No.: 5161

Here's a HiRISE/MARDI comparison. I was short on time, hence the sloppiness!

If you doubt the final guess at the three small craters just near the landing site, download the YouTube video of the descent sequence and scrub (play forward and reverse many times) that final sequence and you can't miss those three craters that stand out in triangle formation. The crater marking the top point of the triangle is where the initial blast of the thrusters hit. Then a few moments later the rover seems to hover just a bit just to the right of the crater marking the lower right point of the triangle. After which the crater quickly slips up and out of view just before touchdown. What a blast!

North is approx. to the left. EDIT: replaced original image with this corrected one:

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
walfy
post Aug 7 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #32

Based on my previous post, this is my humble best guess at Curiosity's location. The rover is Photoshopped in at approximately 11.5 pixels. (HiRISE webpage for the background image stated that it was 25 cm per pixel).

Attached Image

+Quote Post
volcanopele
post Aug 7 2012, 06:06 AM
Post #33

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23

Thank you, walfy, I was hoping someone would take a crack at that kind of analysis.

--------------------
&@^^!% Jim! I'm a geologist, not a physicist!
The Gish Bar Times - A Blog all about Jupiter's Moon Io

+Quote Post
um3k
post Aug 7 2012, 06:37 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 372

Walfy, your first image is mismatched (possibly throwing off the ones that follow, as well). Here's a correction:

(click for full size and download)

+Quote Post
Keatah
post Aug 7 2012, 06:41 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 4206

Regarding the amount of dust kicked up by the descent thrusters.. It seems to me more than expected. Or am I just "preconditioned" by the non-thruster-landings of Sojourner and MER A/B; which resulted in initial sterile-looking appearances. Did the amount surprise the folks back at MC?

+Quote Post
walfy
post Aug 7 2012, 07:35 AM
Post #36

QUOTE (um3k @ Aug 6 2012, 10:37 PM) *
Walfy, your first image is mismatched (possibly throwing off the ones that follow, as well).

Wow, that was sloppy! Thanks for spotting that, and for the nice way of comparing all of it in B&W. I've changed the image, updated my previous post. I'm still pretty sure the lower right crater in the triangle was the one which was nearly hovered over momentarily.

+Quote Post
DanielL
post Aug 7 2012, 10:41 AM
Post #37

Member No.: 1595

Hello, I hope this is the correct thread - am posting in this one as I noticed previous discussion of the descent sequence imagery here. I'm wondering how much info could be derived about the MSL's hazard avoidance strategies from the sequence? I would suppose quite a lot - even as a non-expert I can see some horizontal motion ... wondering specifically about MSL's ability to choose the best landing spot. I realize the terrain is pretty benign already, but closer to the surface there must have must been some hazard avoidance? - BTW elsewhere, someone has also asked about the video indicating the descent stage shifting away from the parachute after separation, but I'm assuming the camera was only turned on after that separation?
Thanks and regards,
Daniel

--------------------
Daniel

+Quote Post
jamescanvin
post Aug 7 2012, 10:46 AM
Post #38

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 16

No, MSL had no ability to perform hazard avoidance for surface features. The only hazard avoidance manoeuvre was just after release from the backshell when a horizontal manoeuvre was performed to remove any risk of recontacting the backshell/parachute.

--------------------
Twitter
Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here

+Quote Post
DanielL
post Aug 7 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #39

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 7 2012, 08:46 PM) *
No, MSL had no ability to perform hazard avoidance for surface features. The only hazard avoidance manoeuvre was just after release from the backshell when a horizontal manoeuvre was performed to remove any risk of recontacting the backshell/parachute.

Thanks James - so then, would any horizontal motions in the video be from other causes, for instance the descent stage moving to stabilize the rover? (compensating for pendulum motion for instance?)

--------------------
Daniel

+Quote Post
jmknapp
post Aug 7 2012, 11:02 AM
Post #40

Member No.: 13

QUOTE (jamescanvin @ Aug 7 2012, 05:46 AM) *
No, MSL had no ability to perform hazard avoidance for surface features.

During the landing the EDL commentator said "we found a nice flat place, we're coming in ready for skycrane" (around 28:17 in this video). I wonder what he meant by that--that they just passively found a nice flat place? By what means did they get a measure of the flatness?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eluchil
post Aug 7 2012, 11:04 AM
Post #41

Member No.: 972

QUOTE (DanielL @ Aug 7 2012, 11:41 AM) *
BTW elsewhere, someone has also asked about the video indicating the descent stage shifting away from the parachute after separation, but I'm assuming the camera was only turned on after that separation?
Daniel

No the MARDI (Descent Imager) began taking pictures just before the heat shield was jettisoned during the parachute phase of the descent. See http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...and-part-2.html and the other resources linked in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum for a complete timeline of EDL events. I can't really tell which motion in the descent image video is caused by the divert maneuver. The noticeable movement at about 18 seconds into the video seems more twisting than anything else.

+Quote Post
DanielL
post Aug 7 2012, 11:15 AM
Post #42

QUOTE (Eluchil @ Aug 7 2012, 09:04 PM) *
No the MARDI (Descent Imager) began taking pictures just before the heat shield was jettisoned during the parachute phase of the descent. See http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakda...and-part-2.html and the other resources linked in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum for a complete timeline of EDL events.

Thanks ...

--------------------
Daniel

+Quote Post
Guest_Oersted_*
post Aug 7 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #43

Guests

QUOTE (Marslauncher @ Aug 7 2012, 12:55 AM) *

I would have preferred a version at the correct speed. This one shows the last 2 and a half minutes of descent, yet lasts only about one minute.

Looking forward to the full-size version with perhaps even some interpolated, generated images.

+Quote Post
elakdawalla
post Aug 8 2012, 01:58 AM
Post #44

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 454

Geez, the MARDI images have been on the MSL raws page for hours. Are you guys asleep at the wheel? Where's the image magery? tongue.gif

--------------------
My website - My Patreon - @elakdawalla on Twitter - Please support unmannedspaceflight.com by donating here.

+Quote Post
James Sorenson
post Aug 8 2012, 02:03 AM
Post #45

Member No.: 3988

Wowwzers!! Thanks Emily!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msl-raw-images/ms...0072E1_DXXX.jpg

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.