IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
New ESA Outer Planet Mission Candidates, ESA candidate missions to Outer Planets
jsheff
post Oct 19 2007, 06:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 411

The European Space Agency has just released a list of candidate missions for the 2015-2025 time frame. Among then is a mission to explore Titan and Enceladus:

http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM1IQAMS7F_index_2.html

Is it too ambitious? And how does it jive with the Flagship missions NASA is thinking about?

- John Sheff
Cambridge, MA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Holder of the Tw...
post Oct 20 2007, 03:35 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 557

First, am I reading that article correctly? Out of the nine proposals total, two will be selected? There could easily be no solar system mission if that's true.

No, I personlly don't think it's too ambitious if you're willing to spend the necessary cash for it. The Cassini-Huygens dataset should easily support planning for a mission like this.

+Quote Post
vjkane
post Oct 20 2007, 03:46 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 351

I think that ESA tries to balance its program, so I expect one planetary and one astronomy mission. The key for the planetary mission is that NASA has to agree, since it's participation is essential for the Jupiter and Titan missions. My *guess* is that the asteroid sample return is back up alternative.

--------------------

+Quote Post
CAP-Team
post Oct 20 2007, 11:19 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 1067

Too bad that there aren't any proposals to Uranus or Neptune sad.gif

+Quote Post
NMRguy
post Oct 20 2007, 05:12 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 448

BBC put out an article on the topic. They make it seem that ESA should probably pick one "Large" class mission (Laplace, Tandem, XEUS, Spica) and one "Medium" class mission (Cross-Scale, Marco Polo, Dune, Space, and Plato) by 2017 and 2018, respectively.

Obviously these missions are well down the pipeline and a number of things need to fall into place for these birds to get off the ground. Also, the "Large" missions are budgeted in the range of EUR650million, which is not enough to get a meaningful mission to the outer planets.

Thus, there needs to be some international collaboration. Whether NASA and ESA can pull off another Cassini-Huygens class success story remains to be seen, and as far as I can tell the international community hasn't decided whether Jupiter or Saturn is a higher priority. Hopefully this problem stimulates some constructive dialog.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7053057.stm

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:30 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.