37 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Inaccuracy in reporting astronomy and science
Explorer1
post Jul 12 2013, 04:56 PM
Post #481

Group: Members
Member No.: 5221

Given that they were testing this on Earth, in our gravity, atmosphere and ice composition, I don't doubt the engineers knew that it wouldn't be perfect; not that we know very much about Europan surface ice conditions in the first place.
And at those speeds, hitting anything (at 24,000 G!) is probably a lot like hitting granite .
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jul 12 2013, 09:16 PM
Post #482

Member No.: 132

There's a Youtube video
showing a test (starting at 19:00) in sand a few years ago. The impact force in that test was 10,000 G. The force in the recent ice test was 24,000 G and in the talk about the sand test, the speaker mentions that the force of a Europa impact would be 50,000 G. If that is accurate, I guess they are closer than I thought to testing to the actual forces that would be seen.

+Quote Post
stevesliva
post Jul 13 2013, 07:22 PM
Post #483

Member No.: 530

They can always just margin test here... not a total facsimile, but do something like fire it at much higher speeds than expected.

Hardness and brittleness aren't correlated, either. Granite might be both harder and stronger than what they expect.

+Quote Post
centsworth_II
post Jul 13 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #484

Member No.: 132

It seems to me that using what they expect the strength and hardness of Europa surface ice to be, a man-made facsimile could be made. It might be a resin mix of some sort for example. I wonder if something like limestone would provide a tougher (more accurate) test than ice.

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jul 15 2013, 06:01 AM
Post #485

Group: Admin
Member No.: 615

Here's a really stoopid article inferring that NASA wants to build a theme park on the Moon blink.gif
http://bit.ly/13jo6DJ

+Quote Post
mchan
post Aug 22 2013, 05:35 AM
Post #486

Member No.: 476

Article on blue moon --

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/...ht-sky/2679903/

"Initially, the phrase referred to the third full moon in a month, ..."

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Aug 27 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #487

Have my own story this time; a few minutes ago CBC news showed this picture on TV, but had a caption saying that it commemorated the 'spacecraft's return' to Earth. For a second or two my jaw hung open; last time I checked, Cassini is exactly where it should be, and the only planet it's going to return to is Saturn itself in a couple of years!
I think the issue arose because of a misreading picture's caption, which says (emphasis mine)
That event on July 19, 2013, marked the day the Cassini spacecraft turned back toward Earth to take our picture as part of a larger mosaic of the Saturn system.

Still, rather unexpected to see such a glaring blooper from this country's normally scientifically literate media...

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Aug 27 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #488

...this country's normally scientifically literate media...

Oh, that made me laugh the hardest. You can add Australia to that list!! biggrin.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
AndyG
post Nov 18 2013, 10:27 AM
Post #489

Member No.: 279

The Sun's magnetic field is about to flip - and the Independent (a normally-ok UK newspaper) suggest this could cause:

Intergalactic weather fronts

Oh my!

Andy

+Quote Post
TheAnt
post Nov 19 2013, 05:36 PM
Post #490

Member No.: 6336

QUOTE (AndyG @ Nov 18 2013, 11:27 AM) *
Independent suggest this could cause Intergalactic weather fronts

Intergalactic? Blimey! We better duck and cover then. laugh.gif

I do wonder if such a magnetic reversal will cause any changes to the bubble around the sun? Still far short on anything intergalactic though. But the Voyagers might pick up something interesting perhaps.

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Dec 12 2013, 02:16 AM
Post #491

Just watched the Science channel ISON documentary. Accuracy report/review:
They way overestimate the nucleus size, but as the latest results are from the week after we can't blame them for that.
Far worse is when they show the deep impact footage when explaining crater formation, but label it 'comet Halley'. wink.gif At least they got Hartley right. A few misleading shots of asteroids and SDO Lovejoy pics, along with the usual reality TV cgi. No mention of amateur observation apart from about 10 seconds of the Russian discoverers.
The image processing behind the Hubble images is probably a welcome addition for many on this forum, along with the sample harpoon testing (and the Comet Hopper/ Rosetta bits) too.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Dec 20 2013, 08:13 PM
Post #492

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

A big deal is being made - and rightly - about the beautiful Lunar Orbiter image of Earth above the lunar horizon - apparently a digital file of it was loaded onto LADEE. Except that it's being equated with the Apollo 8 Earthrise pic and referred to as 'the first Earthrise image' (http://spaceref.com/the-first-earthrise-im...o-the-moon.html)

Actually, the Lunar Orbiter image shows Earthset. Nit-picky, I know, but this IS the interrnet.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
Explorer1
post Jan 2 2014, 09:42 PM
Post #493

Winnipeg beats out Gale crater for low temperatures (briefly):

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/win...lanet-1.2479967

Not exactly 'inaccuracy', but a bit of an odd comparison; night temperatures are a tad more insulated on Earth, hmm?

+Quote Post
Astro0
post Jan 16 2014, 12:28 PM
Post #494

Well this takes the cake. :wacko:Quotes a whole lot of UMSF member related blogs, tweets etc.
http://on.rt.com/sgkqhk

+Quote Post
nprev
post Jan 16 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #495

Merciless Robot

Member No.: 602

Is 0630 local after a bad night at work for me.

After just seeing that, is it REALLY too early to begin drinking heavily?

--------------------
A few will take this knowledge and use this power of a dream realized as a force for change, an impetus for further discovery to make less ancient dreams real.

+Quote Post

37 Pages V  « < 31 32 33 34 35 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:56 AM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.