Reply to this topicStart new topic
LPSC 2011
djellison
post Jan 10 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #16

Founder

Group: Chairman
Member No.: 1

Ask nicely, ask politely, no one would object to a polite email about the science they're doing.

The very worst he can do is ignore you, and you're no worse off.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marsbug
post Jan 10 2011, 11:40 PM
Post #17

Group: Members
Member No.: 1563

Good advice, thanks!

--------------------

+Quote Post
cbcnasa
post Jan 14 2011, 03:18 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 4691

If all goes well I will be there as an attendee for my first conference.

+Quote Post
Phil Stooke
post Jan 27 2011, 01:02 AM
Post #19

Solar System Cartographer

Member No.: 227

LPSC abstracts are up at:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/meetings/lpsc2011/pdf/program.pdf

- and there's lots of good stuff, including Opportunity's plans for the coming year, Hartley 2, geology of Mimas and many lunar goodies.

Phil

--------------------
... because the Solar System ain't gonna map itself.

Also to be found posting similar content on https://mastodon.social/@PhilStooke
NOTE: everything created by me which I post on UMSF is considered to be in the public domain (NOT CC, public domain)

+Quote Post
schaffman
post Jan 27 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 5246

QUOTE (marsbug @ Jan 10 2011, 05:49 PM) *
Is he on the forum? I've had alook at the usernames list and theres a Vincent.... I'm hesitant to e-mail his listed address, some people don't take kindly to being pestered by random strangers!

I've "cold" emailed several distinguished planetary scientists with simple questions or requests. I've always gotten a gracious and prompt response.

Tom

+Quote Post
machi
post Jan 28 2011, 04:04 PM
Post #21

Member No.: 4057

I made for me (because I have sometimes very unstable internet connection) file for downloading all LPSC 2011 abstracts and rtf file for offline searching.
This can be useful to someone else, so I send these files here.
lpsc2011.html is history file from Free Download Manager (FDM). All files in this file can be simply downloaded by FDM or similar software (just open, right click and download all by FDM).
This file doesn't include files from pages >5 in sess321.pdf, sess335.pdf, sess609.pdf and sess636.pdf.
LPSC2011.rtf includes text from all session's files (except lectures times).
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Lpsc2011.zip ( 321.02K ) Number of downloads: 254

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 7 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #22

Interplanetary Dumpster Diver

Group: Admin
Member No.: 33

I made a blog entry with my poster and a link to the abstract. I will be presenting Thursday night. http://planetimages.blogspot.com/2011/03/w...nd-my-2011.html

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Mar 8 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 347

Interesting project and nice poster! Looking forward for the results.

I've tried to build a Pioneer 10 / 11 gallery with corrected images based on what I could find the web (http://www.astrosurf.com/nunes/explor/explor_pioneer.htm).
One thing that would simplify things would be a list of all avaliable images with associated data, namely the start/end times.
That would allow for some geometry and rotation correction, unless all the images were scanned over the same amount of time. I got some tentative global mosaics out of the datasets, but they are mostly a best fit and not a correct reconstruction.

There's some info here http://history.nasa.gov/SP-349/app2.htm but not enough to know if for example all the images were indeed usable or received.

--------------------

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 9 2011, 02:47 PM
Post #24

QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Mar 8 2011, 02:23 AM) *
Interesting project and nice poster! Looking forward for the results.

I've tried to build a Pioneer 10 / 11 gallery with corrected images based on what I could find the web (http://www.astrosurf.com/nunes/explor/explor_pioneer.htm).
One thing that would simplify things would be a list of all avaliable images with associated data, namely the start/end times.
That would allow for some geometry and rotation correction, unless all the images were scanned over the same amount of time. I got some tentative global mosaics out of the datasets, but they are mostly a best fit and not a correct reconstruction.

There's some info here http://history.nasa.gov/SP-349/app2.htm but not enough to know if for example all the images were indeed usable or received.

Yes, I am familiar with your work, and those mosaics are impressive. Still, if we had the digital data and and image times, the scans could be properly mapped on to the Jovian globe, which, using interpolation, could theoretically lead to a proper movie. I think I might be able to make one from the Pioneer 11 receding images. The problem is that images that are relatively close are impacted by planetary rotation during the scans. The more distant images took less time and are thus less affected. They are, however, lower resolution than can be achieved with a telescope. However, the uniqueness of looking down on the Jovian north pole makes up for that. The problem is finding a way to consistently process scans from various sources.

--------------------

+Quote Post
4th rock from th...
post Mar 9 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 347

As far as I understand, the analog images only have some general geometrical correction. That didn't take into account the planet's rotation and changing field of view, so it's still possible to compensate for that if we have good timing and position information, even from the analog sources (compute field of view). I did it using guess work and applying a diagonal distortion ( \ ) along the planet's disk. It kind of works but it's far from perfect.
Another option would be to use ground telescopic images as reference. I couldn't find any on the web for the same dates, though.

Regarding the different sourced scans, I'd choose an arbitrary Jupiter reference image (ex: Cassini) and then try to match the histograms as best as possible. Tedious but doable.

I'm sure you will solve all the problems and please excuse my naive suggestions.
Looking forward to that polar movie smile.gif !

--------------------

+Quote Post
pandaneko
post Mar 10 2011, 01:22 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 5323

I am not exactly sure if this might be of help to those who are interested in past ISAS/JAXA publications.

http://repository.tksc.jaxa.jp/

This URL accepts alphabetical search words. Some are written in English (and mostly in Japanese, I think), but at least captions are all in English.

Pandaneko

+Quote Post
tedstryk
post Mar 10 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #27

QUOTE (4th rock from the sun @ Mar 9 2011, 10:56 PM) *
As far as I understand, the analog images only have some general geometrical correction. That didn't take into account the planet's rotation and changing field of view, so it's still possible to compensate for that if we have good timing and position information, even from the analog sources (compute field of view). I did it using guess work and applying a diagonal distortion ( \ ) along the planet's disk. It kind of works but it's far from perfect.
Another option would be to use ground telescopic images as reference. I couldn't find any on the web for the same dates, though.

Regarding the different sourced scans, I'd choose an arbitrary Jupiter reference image (ex: Cassini) and then try to match the histograms as best as possible. Tedious but doable.

I'm sure you will solve all the problems and please excuse my naive suggestions.
Looking forward to that polar movie smile.gif !

No, these are real issues. That is why I am planning to mainly work with some of the more distant images over the north pole. They are small enough that there is relatively little distortion.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:23 PM
RULES AND GUIDELINES
Please read the Forum Rules and Guidelines before posting.

IMAGE COPYRIGHT
Images posted on UnmannedSpaceflight.com may be copyrighted. Do not reproduce without permission. Read here for further information on space images and copyright.

OPINIONS AND MODERATION
Opinions expressed on UnmannedSpaceflight.com are those of the individual posters and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of UnmannedSpaceflight.com or The Planetary Society. The all-volunteer UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderation team is wholly independent of The Planetary Society. The Planetary Society has no influence over decisions made by the UnmannedSpaceflight.com moderators.
SUPPORT THE FORUM
Unmannedspaceflight.com is funded by the Planetary Society. Please consider supporting our work and many other projects by donating to the Society or becoming a member.